U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM

75,466 posts, read 59,073,334 times

Advertisements

How about we create a sticky on this topic so we can rant on about the INSANE traffic! I left greenwich exit 33 on Merrit North at 5:10pm...Its now 6:05pm and I havent past exit 35 in Stamford yet!!!!! 1 hour to go 1 town over.. 1 mile on a highway for 10 miles(maybe less)..

I stopped recommending people move to this state because of this very reason...its not once in a while ITS WAY TO OFTEN!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,751,370 times
Yeah, the ride sucked until i reached the 4 vehicle accident scene just prior to 41. Vehicle#1: Mass. Plate Vehicle#2: NY Plate Vehicle#3...................

Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yeah, the ride sucked until i reached the 4 vehicle accident scene just prior to 41. Vehicle#1: Mass. Plate Vehicle#2: NY Plate Vehicle#3...................
Just realized my post says 1 mile to go 10 miles. LOL I must have been so stressed out when posting that. 1 Hour to drive 10 miles.

You know what I always say? aside from "WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!" Its a highway. Accidents that happen on a backroad or main street will happen..BUT ITS A HIGHWAY! YOU GO ONE DIRECTION...STRAIGHT!! You dont need to worry about someone running red lights or stop signs. Nobody is going to parrallel park, nobody in oncoming traffic is going to make a left to cut across in front of you..ITS STRAIGHT.

If people would just focus, follow flow of traffic, use their mirrors, know their blind spot there should be NO reason for an accident on a highway unless its mechanical and your brakes fail or tires come off.

I know this topic has been beat to death but it actually helped ranting about it AGAIN. lol

Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,738,765 times
I commute home to Exit 56 because I work in NY. My TomTom gave me a heads up at 6:10 that there was a 55 minute delay on the Merritt so I took 95 to exit 38 and hopped on the Merritt. Got home in an hour. I notice the traffic getting heavier lately coming home. All winter i had no issues but as soon as its spring,the traffic starts at Stamford and lasts through Westport. Do people multiply when it gets warm? Luckily, I have other routes to get home in case the traffic gets bad. Accidents definatley cause mayhem ,like tonite. My morning commute is issue free...coming home is hit or miss.....but I have seen a heavier trend over the last few weeks. Dont know why.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I commute home to Exit 56 because I work in NY. My TomTom gave me a heads up at 6:10 that there was a 55 minute delay on the Merritt so I took 95 to exit 38 and hopped on the Merritt. Got home in an hour. I notice the traffic getting heavier lately coming home. All winter i had no issues but as soon as its spring,the traffic starts at Stamford and lasts through Westport. Do people multiply when it gets warm? Luckily, I have other routes to get home in case the traffic gets bad. Accidents definatley cause mayhem ,like tonite. My morning commute is issue free...coming home is hit or miss.....but I have seen a heavier trend over the last few weeks. Dont know why.
THANK YOU. For years I always wondered why traffic was worse after mid April... Its like as soon as school is over there's more cars on the road. Then it gets lighter after September. And each year the time of commute seem to be adding minutes...

Population in 1800 was 251,000
In 1900 it was 908,000
2010 it was 3.57 MILLION

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 AM

2,051 posts, read 1,738,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
THANK YOU. For years I always wondered why traffic was worse after mid April... Its like as soon as school is over there's more cars on the road. Then it gets lighter after September. And each year the time of commute seem to be adding minutes...

Population in 1800 was 251,000
In 1900 it was 908,000
2010 it was 3.57 MILLION
Theres nothing worse for me than a crappy day of work,leaving for the Merritt and seeing brake lights in Stamford. Then its slow moving to exit 42. No rhyme or reason. Then there is that dreaded "Delay next 9 miles to exit 42" light up sign at exit 39 everynight. There is never any reason why there is a delay either!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 AM

13,253 posts, read 39,275,820 times
Probably because every time someone posts in this forum saying "I'm Moving to CT where Should I Live," everyone says "Live near Merritt/Wilbur Cross So U No Have 2 Drive Long Wharf LOLOLOL."

Stop telling people to drive on a highway that was built for only 20% of the traffic it has now, and maybe you won't see so much traffic.

15 used to be such an awesome road. It's a pity to see it so gunked up. They should definitely bring back the tolls and weed out the people who are in such an all-fired rush to take their combination panel-vans around the steep curves at 70 mph.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 AM

386 posts, read 377,450 times
I went to get on the Merritt at exit 36 and the on ramped was backed up. I took the back roads to exit 38 and hoped on. Traffic was thin and moving freely. The accident must have been somewhere inbetween.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,751,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I notice the traffic getting heavier lately coming home. All winter i had no issues but as soon as its spring,the traffic starts at Stamford and lasts through Westport. Do people multiply when it gets warm? Luckily, I have other routes to get home in case the traffic gets bad. Accidents definatley cause mayhem ,like tonite. My morning commute is issue free...coming home is hit or miss.....but I have seen a heavier trend over the last few weeks. Dont know why.
Every year like clockwork. Every week after Easter you'll see it get progressively heavier...heavier...heavier.... until the 3rd week of June.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,323,341 times
back in 05 i was working in White Plains while still living in Meriden. i stayed down there during the week and came home on the weekends. the Fri before Memorial Day, i left WP at about 2:30 and mistakenly took the Merritt home. couldn't believe it. even that early (and a week before the holiday), it was bumper to bumper from the NY line all the way up to around Wallingford. took me over 3 hours to get home on a ride that normally only took 1.5 - 2. to this day not sure why there was so much traffic that early unless of course that's totally normal. needless to say i never took the Merritt again. took the alternate 684 to 84, etc up until i moved to Danbury and started taking the train everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut