Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times

Advertisements

Think the residential rental rates will go down?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:25 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
and in another twist, current Stamford Mayor says UBS is staying: UBS Is Staying in Stamford, Mayor Says | The Daily Stamford

who to believe

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I don't see why losing this brokerage firm means much of anything unless your one of the .00000000000001% of ivy league educated top gun boiler room brokers that can sell ice to Eskimos. If anything, it's a good thing. Rent/cost of living will probably go down. Of course it's only one firm so who knows for sure. This is why nyc is so damn expensive to live in.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
CKbrooktrout, Lets see who to believe, a small time local mayor or Reuters, NY Times, and every major online business source in the Northeast. Hmmm..

Seriously, its quite possibly they will keep some jobs in Stamford, but the opportunity to be the anchor of the soon to be nations most celebrated tower, with most major clients within spitting distances for posh lunches and dinners, bringing along enormous incremental business..whom can blame this corp for going home..where the business is.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Nope.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
There is a lot of desparation to fill the new WTC and not have it become a "white elephant".
Ironically, that was the problem with the original WTC towers. For many years it was impossible to rent out the full space, so it was the home to many government agencies.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Didn't they just build the UBS building Stamford a few years ago , i doubt there closing up shop and taking everyone. That would be bad business and stupid , maybe half....but one day you'll see a reserve theres only so much space NYC has...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The UBS building has been there a lot longer than a few years. I thinkn it is 10 year now. You might be thinking of RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland).

I doubt UBS will abandon Stamford. They will probably relocate some jobs to Manhattan. They currently lease space in several other buildings in Stamford as well as their main building and they are likely tryig to get out of those spaces.

One thing interestiong is the deals being struck to get companies back to lower Manhattan. The deal to get Conde Naste to move from midtown to WTC is pretty interesting. Conde's lease will not be up for several years and the developer will be picking up the cost to get them out of it. Who knows what they will offer UBS to get them in the area. Jay

Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The UBS building has been there a lot longer than a few years. I thinkn it is 10 year now. You might be thinking of RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland).

I doubt UBS will abandon Stamford. They will probably relocate some jobs to Manhattan. They currently lease space in several other buildings in Stamford as well as their main building and they are likely tryig to get out of those spaces.

One thing interestiong is the deals being struck to get companies back to lower Manhattan. The deal to get Conde Naste to move from midtown to WTC is pretty interesting. Conde's lease will not be up for several years and the developer will be picking up the cost to get them out of it. Who knows what they will offer UBS to get them in the area. Jay
According to the WCBS News Radio 88 piece yesterday, it's been there since 1994, almost 17 years. They questioned the "newness" of the building but then interviewed a real estate person who said that nowadays a 17 year old office building is considered "old", especially in the NY metropolitan area. I question that, but just being the messenger....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Didn't they just build the UBS building Stamford a few years ago , i doubt there closing up shop and taking everyone. That would be bad business and stupid , maybe half....but one day you'll see a reserve theres only so much space NYC has...
I still think it's going to remain as their "back office" and "backup" facility like many firms did post-9/11. But it's a huge space and they probably have to try to rent some of it out to make it work. I noticed when driving home from work yesterday that another big foreign bank (RBS, Royal Bank of Scotland) is essentially next door to them, so it's not like they're "the only game in town" and stick out like a sore thumb being in Stamford.

Someone mentioned the balloon parade. Did they ALWAYS sponsor it? I was actually a balloon handler from 1999-2001 (my wife worked for Virgin Atlantic at the time, who sponsored the Rocky the Squirrel balloon) and I don't remember if UBS sponsored it then (I still take my kids back every year, it's a great low stress alternative to going to Macy's).

Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I agree, 7wishes, the hype is not about a minor transfer of jobs. Most likely, what will remain in Ct will be minor, the best jobs will return to NY, and hopefully, UBS can lease some of what they do not use, so it can at least fill some purpose. New WTC needs to hit a target leased percent to be built by 2015; only big users (judged by sq feet) matter. UBS is the main enchalada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut