Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
JViello, I wish every American shared the same mentality as you. You complain about Democrats AND Republicans equally; because, essentially, both parties are full of $#*!) I think I remember you saying you would classify yourself as a Libertarian, which I applaud, because it seems like you vote on the ISSUE not for the PARTY. Props!
I do tend to side towards the Republican mindset which is lower taxes, smaller government etc but yes you are correct. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Both parties are whores and two sides of the same coin. I wish more people would realize this.

There is a big split in the Republican party right now. You have the old guard McCain's who are part of the machine, and the new constitutionalist mindset such as Rubio, Paul etc. Things are changing.

You want to see something that you can't make up? Check this out.

Republican Donations

Yes, those are Republican's giving money to Democrat campaigns. WTF? Seriously? Yes, we are going to run against you on several fronts...want some money for your campaign we are fighting against?

I can only LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So if the Republican Party in Connecticut is corrupt, and the most accomplished Democrat in Connecticut is Christopher Dodd, then there must literally be no worthwhile politicians in Connecticut.
I wouldn't say "no worthwhile". There are many good people putting forth their best effort. Joe Markley Len Suzio and Joan Hartley come to mind.

The problem is the system has become a self serving machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Also speaking as a Libertarian: Ron Paul! I have seen very few uncorrupt, logical people get elected to public office besides him. Some of his ideas seem far-fetched until you hear him explain how he came to those beliefs; then it seems clear as day how the government should be run.
Agreed. Ron Paul's actions back up his mouth. He just doesn't do what they do. Never took a government paid junket, does not participate in the government congressional pension plan, returns a portion of his congressional office budget each year etc etc.

YouTube - Ron Paul: A New Hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Also speaking as a Libertarian: Ron Paul! I have seen very few uncorrupt, logical people get elected to public office besides him. Some of his ideas seem far-fetched until you hear him explain how he came to those beliefs; then it seems clear as day how the government should be run. NH is a wonderful state because several representatives model their beliefs and voting patterns off of libertarian viewpoints that Ron Paul has brought to the forefront of political discussion. However, I wouldn't expect a Libertarian or libertarian-minded conservative to get elected in CT anytime soon-or even in the next few decades.
I was 100% behind Ron Paul when he ran for the Republican candidacy, but have since slightly altered my views. I think that his "don't spend anything on but defense and liberty" is a little far fetched. The US under a conservative (real conservative, not neo-con moral conservative) Eisenhower made a huge investment in the US in the interstate system for example. Those kind of investments have to be made. And we do have the lowest taxes on the rich EVER under Bush since income tax was introduced.

I think a balance is good. He's 100% right in that the federal government overreaches and wastes too much.

A cultural shift might be violent away from the entitlement mentality. There's a distrust in government from those who pay into it because they get nothing in return, while lazy and crime-ridden ghetto communities milk the system for all its worth. We also overreach on foreign policy, and don't need dozens and dozens of bases all over the world, or an interventionist, World Police-style policy.

That said, some regulations are good and necessary. Yes, on the environment, finance, health care. SMART regulations that encourage a healthy economy, not red tape that keeps the country back. Our current economic mess is a result of the worst of both worlds: government involvement (encouraging loans from Fannie/Freddy) and deregulation of markets. Dangerous mix.

Also, unlike most conservatives I wouldn't mind a tax increase for the rich, if somehow we worked around the impact on small businesses. But if we increase those taxes, decrease corporate taxes. Our corporate taxes are too high and making us left competitive in the world.

As far as abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, etc. etc. I definitely am "socially liberal", whatever that means.

To me, the idea that someone could belong to one of 2 political parties that takes one side on every known issue and be die-hard about that party without questioning it just shows how sheep-like most people are.

/rant

Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
About 25 years ago I took a class on absolutism and enlightenment... The point being anyone getting elected , or moved into power, gets morphed into something they didn't originally intend. It just happens to nearly everyone.

My husband always wanted annual elections that would be more like public job performance reviews, in this modern day, it should be possible . If they don't immediately start working on what they said they would, pull the plug on their political career. On the other hand, if they are getting the work done, don't hamper them with arbitrary time limits

Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,927 times
CNBC journalist and Westport resident Larry Kudlow has decided not to run for Senate.

Kudlow Says He Will Not Run for U.S. Senate Against Blumenthal - Hartford Courant

Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
I think you meant "peek", not "peak".

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/...ak-peek-pique/

Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think you meant "peek", not "peak".

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/...ak-peek-pique/
The original post is 5 years old. The OP no longer posts here. Jay

Old 02-16-2016, 02:36 PM

281 posts, read 345,322 times
Yeah, hadn't seen that name in a long time.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:58 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
I encourage my fellow Nutmeggers who are not enamored with the current system and the two parties to get involved with a more Centrist or Independent Party. If we really want to change politics Bernie Sanders is right, we need to blow up the entire system. Even though small right now I am a member of the CT Independent Party.

BTW, while I am looking for places to move in retirement one of the things on my list is a town (or area) that has a healthy dose of Independents in it's political system.

Independent Party of CT - Home

I am glad to see East Haven has my party in it and I bet Branford won't be long to follow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...of_Connecticut

Old 02-16-2016, 04:02 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The original post is 5 years old. The OP no longer posts here. Jay
C-D would officially disagree with me, but this is why I'm against "bumping" threads more than a few months old. Too much confusion ensues.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
C-D would officially disagree with me, but this is why I'm against "bumping" threads more than a few months old. Too much confusion ensues.
They do. It doesn't happen often but occasionally it does. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut