Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,697 times

Advertisements

I've done some research and I have 2 different departments I could potentially volunteer with:
King Street Fire Co #14 - closest to my home 1 mile away off King Street
Mill Plain Fire Co #12 - 4.3 miles away from my home
I don't mind driving an extra 3.3 miles to volunteer. I'm interested in finding out which department has more activity and members in it.
I used to belong to a very active fire department on Long Island.
Does anyone have any feedback on which department I should consider volunteering with?
I'm turning 37 this June, I'm married and have no kids. I moved to Danbury last July, 2010 and want to help my new community I love, as well as meet new people in my town. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!
Rich L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 AM

34,787 posts, read 56,634,810 times
Why don't you just visit both of them and ask the questions you ask here? Jay

Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,697 times
Thanks Jay. I guess I wanted to get some feedback before going in person. Thanks. Rich

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,723,280 times
King St covers the biggest territory and I believe also helps out in New Fairfield and Brewster, NY when needed ( or at least they used to) . From what I understand they have close to 75 members. That's a pretty big volunteer department. Of course, that may include emergency medical service and ladies auxiliary too.

But you should really visit each a few times before deciding. This is going to be a very subjective decision on your part. You're going to have to work with, train with and take orders from a lot of people to start. There is nothing any of us can say that will help you decide if you " fit in" with one department or another. Where you're going to be emotionally comfortable
can only be determined by visiting and seeing how welcoming each is.

And thank you for wanting to join. I live in a town with only volunteer fire service. Each fireman is treasured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut