Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 AM

21 posts, read 87,978 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Connecticut and am considering Cheshire and Bethany.
I have some info on Cheshire since my brother lives there.
But I don't know much about Bethany.
I've heard it's kind of rural and very pricey.
What about property taxes? Mil rate?
Also, it seems like a lot of properties are on septic and wells. Do these things present problems?
Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 06:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Bethany is a nice town, and is considered "rural." "Rural" in that part of Connecticut means there are no big box stores or much in the way of commercial development and consists of mostly residential homes, it isn't like it is the middle of nowhere by any means. It is much less developed than other towns close by (like Naugatuck, Cheshire, etc.). I know the mill rate for 2006 in Bethany was in the mid to high 20s, not sure what it is right now. You can call the Bethany Town Hall, the Assessor's Office, and they can tell you what it is currently set at.

Many towns in CT are on septic and wells. Generally they don't pose any problem. I was looking to buy a home in an area with septic and wells, and what I did was contact the local Health Department of the town I was looking at a home in. The Health Department has the info on both and you can find out when the septic was installed or last replaced as well as any possible well issues (such as low pressure, low recovery, and such). Each town's Health Department has a file on every home that has a well and/or septic and it is available to the public (Freedom of Information).

Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 AM

417 posts, read 600,152 times
I agree with mels, Bethany is a nice town and not in the middle of nowhere. Also, the pricing in Bethany is not much higher than Cheshire maby a 3-5% difference at tops. Mill rates in Bethany are about the same as cheshire and schooling is equally ranked aka amity reg. 5(bethany). Cheshire has an equal amount of wells and septic tanks as bethany so you won't save much on that factor (cheshire does have more public water). Check ou the brooksvale secrtion of cheshire- rural feel but has public water in some areas.

What is your price range? I will PM you whenever possible

Sincerely,
SRI

Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM

105 posts, read 356,341 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...re-anyone.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
"Well I lived in Cheshire for 8 years and nannied in Woodbridge before going to grad school so I am familiar with both areas ( I had an early morning job in Bethany as well..does that count too ) Bethany is very very boring..no real town to it..just trees..I mean I like trees and nature but it's a bit overkill there LOL! "

Having driven down route 69 many times, I found Melkat's post on Bethany quite humorous.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:00 PM

97 posts, read 395,774 times
Default Bethany area....

I lived in Beacon Falls, which is a little bedroom town in the valley, Bethany bordered the falls to the east. If you like smaller, than it's great. There are plenty of places to branch out into for shopping and groceries. I'm in Florida now and miss my quiet home in the Falls. The grass is always greener....or is it? Nice area...just take your checkbook with you.....nothing cheap in that immediate area. I can't even afford to get back into Beacon Falls at this point. Prices have gone up fast...Best of luck to you. Connecticut is a good place to make money and many parts are very nice. Watertown is nice...Litchfield county.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,364 times
Default What Bethany Is Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodelady View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Connecticut and am considering Cheshire and Bethany.
I have some info on Cheshire since my brother lives there.
But I don't know much about Bethany.
I've heard it's kind of rural and very pricey.
What about property taxes? Mil rate?
Also, it seems like a lot of properties are on septic and wells. Do these things present problems?
Any info would be appreciated.

Yodelady, bethany is one of those wonderful places where the simple life can still be found. Not yet disturbed by too much development or too much "money", Bethany was named the #1 Small Town in the State of CT by an assessment done by CT Magazine in 2007. It's a fabulous place with lots of open space, an active land trust organization, an agressive open space plan. The oldest continuously operating farm in the state is in Bethany (Clover Nook Farm), where you can go to get the best corn and veggies around and greet your neighbors on a warm summer day. There is a olde town fireman's parade and carnival and lots and lots of patriotism. There is a FREE (yes, I wrote FREE) Bethany Family Day Festival with free food, fun, rides and giveaways for the town's people. There are an amazing 50+ historic sites, and a tremendous Historical Society. The Library, albeit small, is privately endowed. Families have been here for generations, but it is a town that welcomes new comers! When I moved here 11+years ago, folks came by with pies, cakes and cookies, and most importantly, a story about the previous, long term owners of my house.

It's a great place for children, family, seniors, or singles. It has the largest per capita horse population in the state (or so it is said) and is the only town in CT with a full time horse commissioner. On Election Day there is a bake sale! There are no full time police (crime is so low), but several state troupers who keep us safe and the volunteer fire department is top notch! Once, when I had a small electrical fire (it was 9/11/2002, coincidentally), there were 20 volunteers at my house in 2 minutes flat, to make sure I was safe and sound!

If you need any more reason to come to Bethany, just tag me back and I will share some great stories from my short tenure here. Also, if you are looking for a house, I am a realtor and I would be happy to assist you in your search!

Best regards and happy holidays! CPAC

Old 10-21-2010, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,390 times
I'm a Bethany resident who randomly happened upon this site. I can't help you with property tax, but I can tell you what it's like to live here. Bethany's a classic rural New England town trending (somewhat poignantly) towards suburbanization. It's almost completely residential; a pocket of space between two urban areas: The Valley, a collection of industrial towns to the north and west, and New Haven to the south, known for Yale University. I have a rule of thumb that it takes about 25 minutes to get anywhere important . The population density is quite low, and life here is, for the most part, private, without any prominent central community. The New England winter may be depressing for the unaccustomed, but it's certainly not anything that could be called "stark." Economic classes range from middle to high, with a decreasing diversity: blue-collar workers seem to represent only a small minority of the population nowadays. Most people drive out of town for work and have college-bound kids. Especially in the information age, the town is far from backwater and incidentally, the area high school is excellent.
Though the number of younger, more affluent, newcomer residents has surely surpassed the older generations, it has not affected the way-of-life much for a couple of reasons. Large tracts of woods, fields, farms and generally large lawns create a lot of space in Bethany, which sets it apart from other suburban towns in the area. Second, it's hard to resist assimilating into the New England atmosphere, which absolutely permeates the town. Old colonial houses, small farms, forgotten low-walls made of round stones, small churches and small graveyards, creeks, lakes, and the woods- these are some of our prized treasures. The Birches, White Oaks, and Red Maples, when the leaves turn, really are quite striking against a sleepy town, which makes Autumn here simply charming. Just driving really lifts your spirits this time of year. It's a great place for pets and hiking, the stars are beautiful here, the location offers both proximity and seclusion, and it's just cozy. It'll grow on you, that's for sure.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Thanks for the great info on Bethany but please note that the OP is nearly 3 years old now. Good information though. Jay

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,871 times
Hi my spouse is about to register our 22month old daughter in a Learning Center in Bethay, Note we live in Waterbury i work in Meriden and dad works in New Haven. We dont know anything about Bethany besides the fact that Dad likes what he see as far as the Learning Center... On top of it all Im African American!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
What is this Learning Center? I wasn't familiar with it, so I did a google search and the only thing I could find in Bethany was the Bunny Village Learning Center, which is just a mom and pop day care and pre-school. Certainly not something you'd want to have to drive all the way from Waterbury every day.

There's a Learning Center in Bethany Arizona but I'm pretty sure you don't mean that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut