Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times

Advertisements

That’s how the Hartford Courant describes it,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
and did you think this wasn't going to happen???

Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Almost 2 billion in tax increases, no sure cuts in government yet (Just a big breathy hope thing.).

This thing went through like it was on greased skids. That's what having a 100% democrat controlled system is like.

Not one...NOT ONE amendment or idea from the republicans was considered. Yet, Malloy sits here and gives mouth service like a muppet that he's listening and willing to talk.

This budget not only raises taxes, it increases spending. Yes, we can't make budget so what the hell, since we are increasing taxation why not spend some more. Free money for all!

And don't believe the bullsh*t spin put on a lot of things like "pedicures and luxury items". This is going to affect the working middle class every single day. Every day you will spend more. We tighten our belts so they can loosen theirs.

This budget is full of smoke and mirror tricks such as "the gas tax isn't going up" Oh really? What a crock, yes it is. The gross receipts wholesale gas tax IS going up. What you think the retailer is just going to swallow it? And they increased diesel tax by 3 cents. Way to go idiots...punish the vehicles and equipment that either keep the economy going and/or the real conservation clean diesel passenger vehicles that save energy.

I'm not surprised this went through, just pissed. It's a poor budget and a poor strategy to fix our problems.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Almost 2 billion in tax increases, no sure cuts in government yet (Just a big breathy hope thing.).

This thing went through like it was on greased skids. That's what having a 100% democrat controlled system is like.

Not one...NOT ONE amendment or idea from the republicans was considered. Yet, Malloy sits here and gives mouth service like a muppet that he's listening and willing to talk.

This budget not only raises taxes, it increases spending. Yes, we can't make budget so what the hell, since we are increasing taxation why not spend some more. Free money for all!

And don't believe the bullsh*t spin put on a lot of things like "pedicures and luxury items". This is going to affect the working middle class every single day. Every day you will spend more. We tighten our belts so they can loosen theirs.

This budget is full of smoke and mirror tricks such as "the gas tax isn't going up" Oh really? What a crock, yes it is. The gross receipts wholesale gas tax IS going up. What you think the retailer is just going to swallow it? And they increased diesel tax by 3 cents. Way to go idiots...punish the vehicles and equipment that either keep the economy going and/or the real conservation clean diesel passenger vehicles that save energy.

I'm not surprised this went through, just pissed. It's a poor budget and a poor strategy to fix our problems.
then the best is people that voted for this guy complain? Are you kidding me? Just another nail in the almost closed coffin of the middle class of CT, either you will be a W in this state, wealthy or on welfare. But hey don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. If I find a buyer form our home we are out..but the chances of finding that buyer?? hmmmmmmm

Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
It is exactly these types of decisions that are going to drive citizens and businesses out of state. Malloy has been saying it won't happen because he hasn't seen it yet-but wait until this fall/winter when residents see how hard it is to pay for everyday items with the state income tax going up for most of us & our utility bills rising. If anything, at all, could be positively said on this issue, it is that Malloy did not get a "clean sweep" of Democratic votes on the budget. If some of the moderate representatives of his own party won't even support his decisions, he should know big trouble lies ahead.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
then the best is people that voted for this guy complain? Are you kidding me? Just another nail in the almost closed coffin of the middle class of CT, either you will be a W in this state, wealthy or on welfare. But hey don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. If I find a buyer form our home we are out..but the chances of finding that buyer?? hmmmmmmm
And there's the rub. You are trying to leave the state, JViello is trying to leave the state, and in 2 weeks I am leaving on a road trip to explore locations in the south where I can relocate before my lease is up in October. For each one of us wanting/trying to leave, there are at least a dozen others thinking the same thing. I predict CT is going to be in very bad shape financially from lost residents by this time next year.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
and did you think this wasn't going to happen???
Actually, I did foresee tax increases coming. We sold our home and moved out of Connecticut five years ago because we knew tax increases would be needed to fund the state's burgeoning deficit. We now rent in NY. The sad thing is, we would have loved to stay in the state for the rest of our lives. We loved living there for eleven years, but will never move back.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
And there's the rub. You are trying to leave the state, JViello is trying to leave the state, and in 2 weeks I am leaving on a road trip to explore locations in the south where I can relocate before my lease is up in October. For each one of us wanting/trying to leave, there are at least a dozen others thinking the same thing. I predict CT is going to be in very bad shape financially from lost residents by this time next year.
And here's the rub for me. I don't WANT to leave, but I'm not sure what will be left in the future. This budget issue is not even touching the unfunded pension liability that has estimates of 28 BILLION to 48 BILLION!

The harder rub is I have a business here, and my wife has a stable job. Do we leave both of those for "greener" pastures and start over in this economy? That's a pretty risky move. However, if we don't will we be faced with plunging home values if there is a mass exodus in the state?

It's a very precarious place to be.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Actually, I did foresee tax increases coming. We sold our home and moved out of Connecticut five years ago because we knew tax increases would be needed to fund the state's burgeoning deficit. We now rent in NY. The sad thing is, we would have loved to stay in the state for the rest of our lives. We loved living there for eleven years, but will never move back.
I am sorry but do people really base where they live strictly on taxes??? I can not believe it unless you are on a very fixed income.

Also, you are saying you moved from Connecticut because of the deficit and moved to NY??? My understanding is NY is not in great shape either from what I have heard. And you are saying you will never move back. Never is a long time. Something does not sound right here. Jay

Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Also, the "largest tax increase in CT history" is incorrect. If you go strictly by percentages, then Weicker's state income tax implementation was the "largest tax increase in CT history." That's because, until then, it didn't exist. The state income tax rate, prior to that, was 0%. The tax increase was - well - so high, that it's impossible to calculate and a couple of decades ago would have crashed computers, due to the "divide by zero" error.

Edited to note: He started out as a Republican before he switched to the Independent ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut