Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,439,975 times

Advertisements

I have the Droid X with Verizon. I never have dropped signals, even during storms, and the ease of use has allowed me to stop using my home computer 95% of the time. I think the best feature is Swype on the touchscreen (which I am using right now.) It DRASTICALLY cuts down on the amount of time I spend composing messages or emails versus my last phone that had a keyboard. You can pick up how to use it very quickly (under 5 min.) Swype alone is the major reason to choose it over the iPhone. As for the touchscreen breaking-it's pretty hard to do. The screen is made with Gorilla glass (used by NASA for high pressure purposes) and will not break with normal day-to-day bumps and minor falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM

83,348 posts, read 74,736,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I have the Droid X with Verizon. I never have dropped signals, even during storms, and the ease of use has allowed me to stop using my home computer 95% of the time. I think the best feature is Swype on the touchscreen (which I am using right now.) It DRASTICALLY cuts down on the amount of time I spend composing messages or emails versus my last phone that had a keyboard. You can pick up how to use it very quickly (under 5 min.) Swype alone is the major reason to choose it over the iPhone. As for the touchscreen breaking-it's pretty hard to do. The screen is made with Gorilla glass (used by NASA for high pressure purposes) and will not break with normal day-to-day bumps and minor falls.
Awesome posts all around... Funny I was walking through Walmart right now and saw the Droid X and I put it down cause it didnt have the keyboard..This post helped understand why I dont need it.....But, I do a few thousand texts and tweets a month (business related) and my work entails a lot of typing (emails, internet searching and posts), I feel like hitting keys is always quicker than hitting on screen keys.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,944,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome posts all around... Funny I was walking through Walmart right now and saw the Droid X and I put it down cause it didnt have the keyboard..This post helped understand why I dont need it.....But, I do a few thousand texts and tweets a month (business related) and my work entails a lot of typing (emails, internet searching and posts), I feel like hitting keys is always quicker than hitting on screen keys.
I had one of the first Droids out (Got it a couple days after the release). I recently got sick of Verizon scalping me for data rates and faced with putting the wife on a Droid with data, I was NOT about to pay $60 per month just for data. No way in hell.

I recently switched to T-Mobile 4G using the HTC G2 Droid phones. We love them. I like the HTC much better than the Motorola. I spend much of my time on this site, FB etc using the Droid and use the text to speach function instead of the keyboard...through my bluetooth. You get all that?

Two points: 1 The text to speach function on the Droid (Not sure if the iphone has the option) is fantastic. Put away your fingers. You just hit the microphone button, start talking and presto...it shows up in text. Sometimes you have to do a little editing but whatever.

2. The 4G network on TM SCREAMS. You can turn the Droid into a wireless hotspot. Yes the phone becomes a wireless router using your wireless data connection.. I did some data speed tests on my laptop vs my Cox cable connection and the 4g wireless was not that far behind. I'm considering cancelling my home high speed as we have a tower a few hundred feet from the house and full signal. I use the hotspot all the time on the road for my laptop. Oh and the hotspot function is FREE with Tmobile but Verizon screws you to the tune of $25 just to activate it.

Coverage admittedly is not as good as Verizon in the boonies, but whatever it hasn't really caused me that much grief. We got twice the plan for the same money.

This entire message was dictated via talk to text using my motorola bluetooth.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM

21,587 posts, read 27,832,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You'll get used to it. Trust me.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,944,669 times
YouTube - Talk to your Droid - How to use Android's/Droid's Speech to Text feature

And just to have a little good fun with the iphone people.

YouTube - Text to speech + GoogleTranslate in Android 2.1

Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,087,094 times
Why not stay with Sprint and get Samsung Epic 4g or the HTC Evo 4g or the HTC Evo shift 4g,or wait until may 8th and get the brand new Samsung nexus 4g. All great phones all have keyboards except the HTC Evo 4g. that way you keep your number and service the same and just change phones. honestly the Blackbery options on Sprint are pretty weak and the blackberry OS is way way behind Android in terms of functions and speed.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:12 PM

811 posts, read 1,731,766 times
It sounds like your problem is with your phone rather than Sprint.

I'm on Sprint as well with the HTC Evo. Personally my experience with Sprint around CT has been the best. I've had Verizon and ATT in the past, ATT was the worst with the most dropped calls.

Evo is a great phone with better capabilities than the iPhone 4 just in case you're considering it. I love the large 4" screen (might be too big for some people but if you use the device a lot you will appreciate it)

Android is heavily integrated with Google services so if you'r big on gmail, google voice, apps, maps, etc then really look into how this may help your productivity. Just about any app on iPhone you have on Android. Check out Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com (my favorite app mgmt system)

What don't I like? Battery life. Off the shelf battery life will be mediocre to bad. 1st week of owning this phone I think I got 10-15hrs with medium to heavy use. Your battery will break in after a few cycles and now I get up to 24hrs many days with medium use. There are some settings you can change to optimize the battery life.

I'd try to stick with Sprint if you can find the phone you like. The coverage is good and so are the prices.

JMHO

Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM

21,587 posts, read 27,832,358 times
Actually, one big piece of advice that hasn't been mentioned is to go to stores that have live demos. All of them. And try all the phones.

Only you will know which feels best in your hand, appeals to your sense of style, usability, etc.

I personally am not big on having the best specs. The Thunderbolt just came out which trumps most phones in features and specs, but is huge and ugly and has terrible battery life. I tried one and still like the X and Incredible (and of course the Iphone4) better from Verizon.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM

149 posts, read 325,137 times
Droid 2
carrier Verizon
love that it is both touch screen and slide out qwerty keyboard
wish that I didn't have to use 2 fingers to type a number (boy that sounds lazy)
like it better than I phone because I don't have to use I tunes and put in credit card info to get apps
just go to marketplace and search

I had the I phone w/ AT&T for a little while but had no service in most places in CT.
When I switched to Verizon I finally had service in CT got the BB bold first it took forever to download apps so I got droid 2 and love it.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 PM

83,348 posts, read 74,736,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
This entire message was dictated via talk to text using my motorola bluetooth.
SOLD! Thats amazing. I'll catch up on the posts tomorrow. It actually spelt "boonies" and used Caps as you talked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut