Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,883 times

Advertisements

Hi there, im relocating to Connecticut and im looking to move to the danbury area while working in the norwalk area. Does anyone have an idea of how long the commute would be? how bad is it? any feedback is appreciated.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Depends where in Danbury and where in Norwalk. It can vary greatly based on that, due to the lack of an interstate.

If you live near Route 53 in Danbury or Bethel, that's a pretty easy commute and can be done in 35-45 minutes, depending on traffic and location in Norwalk.

Route 7 is the most prominent route and has a lot of stop lights and varying amounts of traffic. I do not recommend it, but a lot of people do it.

Either way, you're looking at a lot of back roads with varying levels of traffic. '

I'm curious why you are choosing the Danbury area over other alternate areas?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM

well im moving up from FL and im looking for a 3bed/2 bath apt thats a decent price. the avalon communities seem perfect but the prices are outrageous near norwalk much more reasonable in danbury. seems like all i can find in the price range closer to norwalk is older townhomes and houses.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Oh, so you are renting? Do you have kids and/or concern about schools? There are other options.

Also, I would not base average rent prices on Avalon in either community, as they tend to be on the pricey side.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 PM

yes i would be renting. i have 2 kids (5 and 3) so schools, preschools and after school activities are definitely a big concern. i like the convenience and amenities that communities like avalon have to offer but there dont seem to be many of them. i was also looking into the trumbull area. i would prefer to have a commute of 30 min or less. thoughts?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Trumbull would have better schools than Danbury. Danbury is a small city so it has issues you would find in an urban area. The schools generally perform below the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performanace Tests.

The Avalon in Trumbull however is located in an area adjacent to Bridgeport where there is a public housing project that may be an issue. I would recommend you consider looking beyond the Avalon apartment complexes. you also might want to look at other towns such as Fairfield or Shelton for rentals. Jay

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Danbury schools are so-so and it will not be 30 minutes or less.

I would also look at the following towns for rentals: Trumbull, Fairfield, Shelton, Milford, Bethel.

If you can take the train to work, Fairfield and Milford are quick and easy commutes and around or under 30 minutes. Look at mta.info for travel times. On light traffic days it's under a half hour. Bethel is an easy drive, 35 minutes or so by Route 53.

Where are you commuting to in Norwalk?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 PM

to 800 main ave, norwalk

Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM

OK, that helps. You're almost in Wilton at that point and that limits train options. I'd recommend looking in Ridgefield, Bethel, Fairfield, Trumbull. Those towns will get you by car in about 30 minutes with little to moderate traffic. There's not much you can do when traffic is bad on the Merritt. That's the plus on northern FFC towns. The backroads can be slow, but at least traffic is consistent.

You could also look at Danbury, Stratford, Shelton and Milford, but that'll be a bit longer commute. 40 minutes min. from Danbury on Route 7. It can be a frustrating commute with all the stop lights and occasional traffic.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,285 times
You should look at renting a condo in Ridgefield or Wilton. That would be your best bet for commute, good schools and shopping/amenities. Danbury is too far and as others have said, the schools there are not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut