Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM

811 posts, read 1,728,434 times

Advertisements

Just curious...

I know for a landlord to enter an apartment in CT, the tenant must be given a "reasonable amount of time's" notice.

Question is what is that "reasonable amount of time" in non emergency situations such as showing the place to potential new tenants/buyers?

I've read many states require 24hrs notice, not sure if this is true in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,691,528 times
Click on the link below - it will give you the law in CT and then give you additional links to check .

Landlord.com Landlords Right of Entry By State Chart

From my brief reading of the law, it says landord had to allow reasonable notice if not an emergency entry. However it does not specify what reasonable may mean.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM

856 posts, read 2,004,041 times
Check your lease to see if there are any additional details. I know that with commercial rental companies that typically have staff on site during business hours they are happy to re-schedule non-emergency entry within a certain time frame. At least it was that way when I rented from Equity residential. If you are having a problem you may want to ignore the incident that prompted your interest and discuss FUTURE incidents with the landlord. For instance if you work third shift and the landlord is coming over during your showering and getting to bed you may want to try to arrange something different. Similar if they are coming 5-10 minutes after you leave when you'd rather be there...express that you'd rather be home (use pet excuses if you have them) and if they can give you some notice (even if it's just a voicemail or email) you'll be happy to let them in. Last suggestion although it's of the variety that can carry some punishment...if you're having a problem...like the landlord is coming in an watching your cable or telling you how many times a month to vacuum you may want to change the lock and wait to see if the landlord complains or just gets the hint.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Dummy me, I had it right in my lease agreement. It says landlord will provide atleast 24hrs notice before entering except in the case of emergencies. Seems pretty standard.

I was told that when selling a place, you sometimes get only 2hrs notice before an agent may pop buy to show the place.

But given my lease agreement, wouldn't they still need to give me 24hrs notice before entering whether selling a place or not?

TobinJ.. LOL, I like the lock idea. Even better to record the reaction.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 PM

625 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Dummy me, I had it right in my lease agreement. It says landlord will provide atleast 24hrs notice before entering except in the case of emergencies. Seems pretty standard.

I was told that when selling a place, you sometimes get only 2hrs notice before an agent may pop buy to show the place.

But given my lease agreement, wouldn't they still need to give me 24hrs notice before entering whether selling a place or not?

TobinJ.. LOL, I like the lock idea. Even better to record the reaction.
If your lease says 24 hours, you have the right to 24 hours notice. When I show listings with tenants (for either rent or purchase), I assume that I need to give 24 hours notice, as that's usually the case. Sometimes I can get in sooner, but I do not expect that. Agents should respect the required amount of notice time.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Thanks Amy

Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 13,079 times
Default Landlord's right of entry.

The laws may have changed, but a landlord can only enter a tenants apartment in an emergency, e.g. fire. broken pipes, etc. Other than that, I find it a gross lack of respect.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 12,864 times
What if the landlord gives proper notice but the tenant does not respond? A tenant wanted a repair done. I hired a contractor. I notified tenant on a Thursday, Friday, and Monday which was the day before. No response. When leaving messages, I said please call if there is a problem with that time, and that I'd be with him in case no one would be home. On Tuesday at the specified time I rang the door bell, no answer. I waited. I unlocked the door, cracked it, called out for the person. Next thing you know, I'm attacked for being out of legal bounds. I gave reasonable notice. I have to pay for the contractor to show up whether he does the work or not. So if the tenant does not give me permission to enter my apt, I can't go in unless it's an emergency?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM

627 posts, read 1,050,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeKind437 View Post
What if the landlord gives proper notice but the tenant does not respond?
According to the law, the landlord has to give reasonable notice AND the tenant has to give consent. They cannot "unreasonably withhold consent" but that is aimed at people who refuse entry entirely.

Given that, I've rented at places that would put up signs like "hey, we're spraying for pests so we will be entering all the units on Tuesday" and they didn't wait for individual consent.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 10,372 times
Your lease will typically specify the conditions under which a landlord can enter. They must generally give 24 hours' notice except in emergency situations (risk of fire, flood, etc.). Landlords must be permitted reasonable entry to make repairs or conduct inspections. Failure to permit them to do so is typically a lease violation, and can subject the tenant to lease enforcement actions. Regulated housing (HUD, USDA, etc.) has regulatory inspections from time to time. Landlords may also do projects such as energy efficiency improvements, capital improvements, etc. Tenants should seek remedies entitled to them by statute if they feel that the landlord's entries are excessive.

It is NOT a good idea to change the locks. You are typically violating your lease when you do that by making alterations to the unit without permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut