Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
To the OP - your use of rhetoric in this thread's title is exactly what's wrong with the United States.
Um, that's exactly what he is. Whether or not you think it's right or wrong to be an ally, it is what it is. The OP is correct.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
http://youtu.be/_61hzuGGJX0

Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
You obviously don't know what it's like to live in a war-torn, terrorized city/state/nation; it takes a pretty rational, level-headed individual to understand the plight of millions who come to the USA for refuge, and/or a better life. Take the illegal immigrants out of Connecticut, and you'd see how seriously your way of life would be affected. This thread is shameful, and I'd encourage JayCT to delete it.

To the OP - your use of rhetoric in this thread's title is exactly what's wrong with the United States, and more importantly, the media. Form your own opinion, with your own ears and eyes, without help from a television or radio, then get back to me.
There is nothing in the OP's post that is against the rules of this forum so I will not delete it. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
You all realize that there is more to DeStefano than just his support of illegal aliens. He has done a lot for New Haven and made it one of the state's most prosperous major cities. Even during the bad economic times of the past several years New Haven has managed to grow. This is why he has so much support in the city.

Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with many of the things he has done but you have to admit he is doing more right than wrong. About the only major problem he has not been able to manage is crime in the city which is way too high and needs a lot more attention. Jay

Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
About the only major problem he has not been able to manage is crime in the city which is way too high and needs a lot more attention. Jay
The crime rate got attention. He laid off 16 cops!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
You obviously don't know what it's like to live in a war-torn, terrorized city/state/nation; it takes a pretty rational, level-headed individual to understand the plight of millions who come to the USA for refuge, and/or a better life. Take the illegal immigrants out of Connecticut, and you'd see how seriously your way of life would be affected. This thread is shameful, and I'd encourage JayCT to delete it.

To the OP - your use of rhetoric in this thread's title is exactly what's wrong with the United States, and more importantly, the media. Form your own opinion, with your own ears and eyes, without help from a television or radio, then get back to me.

What's shameful is when a supposed US citizen sticks up for those breaking the law and endangering our national security. Thete's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Why do some reward the wrong/easy way over the hard earned proper way?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
About the only major problem he has not been able to manage is crime in the city which is way too high and needs a lot more attention. Jay
Which is hard to fix without purging the population in the short term. Ghetto folk make crime.

In the long term, more cops (which they can't afford) and better education (which they can't afford) would reduce crime.

The city has a bad deficit. I'd say his track record isn't great.

The city itself, because of its businesses and Yale pushing it forward has improved greatly - I would argue it has nothing to do with him. If anything, a great leader could help realize the city's true potential.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Which is hard to fix without purging the population in the short term. Ghetto folk make crime.

In the long term, more cops (which they can't afford) and better education (which they can't afford) would reduce crime.
I'd also add in community involvement. Until people start supporting law enforcement instead of saying "f--- the po-lice", problems won't go away.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
True. That also starts with better education. Ignorance, poverty and welfare-state dependence create crime.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
What's shameful is when a supposed US citizen sticks up for those breaking the law and endangering our national security. Thete's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Why do some reward the wrong/easy way over the hard earned proper way?
Please. I AM a US Citizen, and I DO NOT stick up for people breaking the law. DeStefano is NOT breaking the law; hence why he has not been arrested and/or charged with any crime. He is NOT harboring illegal immigrants, but is simply making their stay safer. If the United States weren't so xenophobic, we could have illegal immigrants legalized swiftly and contributing to society. Instead, we take on the "SKY IS FALLING" mentality, in which we are force-fed total BS from our politicians and the media regarding our "national security." Live in Iraq and tell me about "national security."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut