Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 PM

161 posts, read 389,955 times

Advertisements

What bothers me the most is that this is the same high school who was evacuated about 5 or so times due to bomb threats in a span of two weeks. As far as I know, no one found out who made the threats. I can guarantee that if they're seniors, they're going to prom for no other reason than that, they didn't get caught.

The other thing I read that really disturbs me is that this headmaster person [don't get me started on what I think of her after today's statement] is that she was calling kids into her office who on their TWITTER would have #teamtate in their updates. When those kids leave school, unless they make a threat on a social networking site that someone sees and reports, what they say is their business. The fact that this lady follows their twitters is absolutely disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Non-local here. This is a prime example of how our school systems are better preparing kids to go to jail than to go into the workforce. You criminalize a harmless expression of affection that is pure. You have a head warden who calls herself a headmaster (you know something is arye with this woman by that title) who won't consider the emotional impact this will have on the kid. A zero tolerance policy that takes the human out of you even though you have no history of making trouble.

Bottom line: Tate did something wrong and deserves to be punished but taking the prom away from him is just cruel. What about kids at that school who did much more serious stuff before this "cut-off" date of April 1 who still get to go? I just can't help thinking if a girl did this, she'd get to go. That headmaster title gets me to thinking that she wants to be all bad and doing this will make her bad.
While I think the administrator screwed up in suspending this kid , I think the zero tolerance, fairness isn't really fair thing is just a reflection of society. We have layered bureaucracy within our laws that takes away any use of common sense among people in authority (i.e. judges). This push by the two state representatives might seem helpful, but it will only make things worse.

As for the cut off date, I understand why they do this. Kids are super antsy, bold, and get a huge sense of "courage" at the end of the year and try to get away with as much as they can. Just step into a school during the month of June and you'll see even the good kids are pushing the limits.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
I think this is dumbest thing. I also don't see how what he did was wrong.

Spray painting, smashing windows, - yeah stuff like that would be wrong. But putting a sign up asking someone to the prom?

*sigh*

Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The mayor's going to jail, so who cares what he thinks. Whatever the outcome of this case (and I do think the school screwed up), I offer a huge NO to two legislators getting involved in school policy. Schools already have a tough enough job to do because of the crap they've already mandated - most notably zero tolerance. I swear good kids are at more of a risk for getting punished than pains in the neck.
I don't see a problem with the legislators getting involved. Everyone deserves another chance, and if they want to do 40 hours of community service to get that chance, it's evidence that they care enough.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
While I think the administrator screwed up in suspending this kid , I think the zero tolerance, fairness isn't really fair thing is just a reflection of society. We have layered bureaucracy within our laws that takes away any use of common sense among people in authority (i.e. judges). This push by the two state representatives might seem helpful, but it will only make things worse.

As for the cut off date, I understand why they do this. Kids are super antsy, bold, and get a huge sense of "courage" at the end of the year and try to get away with as much as they can. Just step into a school during the month of June and you'll see even the good kids are pushing the limits.
I get the cut-off date too. But can we just let kids be kids, provided no true crime is taking place and no one is injured? I mean, the seniors are reaching the last stage of their life where they aren't responsible for bringing home the bacon and have no other responsibilities. I never ever voluntarily skipped a day of school until I skipped for senior skip day, when is the next time I'll be able to skip something like school and work and not get into any serious trouble? This kid James is an honor student, should three and a 1/2 years of hard work and flying right be voided over a nice gesture because of an arbitary rule?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't see a problem with the legislators getting involved. Everyone deserves another chance, and if they want to do 40 hours of community service to get that chance, it's evidence that they care enough.
Legislators getting involved in education has never turned out well (NCLB, elimination of out of school suspension, anti-bullying legislation that makes schools responsible for Facebook posts that happen out of school to name a few). While it may be well intentioned, in the long run, this bill will benefit the bad kids. Frankly, as someone whose child is going on the Washington D.C. trip with a school that will easily take away that privilege if you screw around or are a jerk, I appreciate that.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
He'll be allowed to go...wait and see.
Unfortunately, I think my above statement will be wrong.

Quote:
. This is a prime example of how our school systems are better preparing kids to go to jail than to go into the workforce. You criminalize a harmless expression of affection that is pure.

Bottom line: Tate did something wrong and deserves to be punished but taking the prom away from him is just cruel.
What? Wow, lets just go off the deep end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
The other thing I read that really disturbs me is that this headmaster person [don't get me started on what I think of her after today's statement] is that she was calling kids into her office who on their TWITTER would have #teamtate in their updates. When those kids leave school, unless they make a threat on a social networking site that someone sees and reports, what they say is their business. The fact that this lady follows their twitters is absolutely disgusting.
Most principals follow tweets...the social media is a good way to know what is going with their students. Many problems with their respective students surface on Twitter and Facebook. She cares enough to be checking...

Quote:
. We have layered bureaucracy within our laws that takes away any use of common sense among people in authority (i.e. judges).
Again, let's just go off the deep end..

The headmaster was following the rules of the school (pp is correct, set by a school board). Suspension results in not be allowed to attend prom. Very simple...it's black and white.

The problem, imo, is the question of whether or not, this offense deserved a suspension. My opinion is I don't think so. Most of us are in agreement.

Tate did know he was putting himself in a dangerous situation...he even wore his football helmet up on the ladder...

We will see what happens...I would love to see him go to the prom.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I get the cut-off date too. But can we just let kids be kids, provided no true crime is taking place and no one is injured? I mean, the seniors are reaching the last stage of their life where they aren't responsible for bringing home the bacon and have no other responsibilities. I never ever voluntarily skipped a day of school until I skipped for senior skip day, when is the next time I'll be able to skip something like school and work and not get into any serious trouble? This kid James is an honor student, should three and a 1/2 years of hard work and flying right be voided over a nice gesture because of an arbitary rule?
Sorry, but letting kids be kids doesn't mean they should get away with breaking rules. Yes, kids will be kids…but consequences are still in action. As for this incident, the school screwed up by suspending him in the first place. Unfortunately arbitrary rule is the name of the game already thanks to politicians, school boards and legislators who don't believe school personnel should be treated like professionals.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Exactly what "rule" did he break? He wasn't "trespassing" because legally, that's only enforcable if he went INTO the school after hours - stated by the Shelton Police Chief (unless there is a sign that states no trespassing which isn't likely). He didn't deface school property. He didn't leave class to do it.

What rule did he break? Or are they just pissed that he caused a commotion?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly what "rule" did he break? He wasn't "trespassing" because legally, that's only enforcable if he went INTO the school after hours - stated by the Shelton Police Chief (unless there is a sign that states no trespassing which isn't likely). He didn't deface school property. He didn't leave class to do it.

What rule did he break? Or are they just pissed that he caused a commotion?
That is exactly what I have been wondering! Is there something in the student handbook about not taping letters to walls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut