Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, on top of all this, no one from the Shelton school system has contacted the kid's parents since the initial contact to say that this happened and this is the punishment. More great school administration!. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
She was trying to set an examaple and it has backfired on her. I am seeing a short future for her in Shelton schools. She has made a lot of people angry for nothing more than her own ego trip. Very wrong message to send. Jay
Yes, she was letting the students know that their safety is her priority...Anyone that has teens knows exactly what would happen next year if a precedent wasn't set...kids would try to top this. Teens don't think about safety...they think they are invinicible. I can only imagine the outrage from people if this young man had fallen and gotten injured...who do you think they would they blame???

Her own ego?? That's a joke...I am sure she knew going in it, how unpopular her decision would be...at least she has the spine to stand by her decision...a decision taking into account safety of all her students. Sorry, I don't fault her for that.

Quote:
Oh yeah, on top of all this, no one from the Shelton school system has contacted the kid's parents since the initial contact to say that this happened and this is the punishment. More great school administration!. Jay
The decision stands...what exactly do you expect them to say???

Maybe the parents or the young man involved should have talked to the school BEFORE attemping this? As a parent of a daredevil teen, I wouldn't be happy if my son did this.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
I believe they did at first. And why does everyone think they know exactly what teacher or an administrator should do?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe the Headmaster should stop following her Twitter and get out and be among her students. Maybe then she will gain some humanity. Jay
What makes you think she isn't? Plus, we don't even know if that is true. Rumors take off like wildfires in a high school and I guarantee there are students who think the kid needs to suck it up but are keeping it to themselves.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Yes, she was letting the students know that their safety is her priority...Anyone that has teens knows exactly what would happen next year if a precedent wasn't set...kids would try to top this. Teens don't think about safety...they think they are invinicible. I can only imagine the outrage from people if this young man had fallen and gotten injured...who do you think they would they blame???

Her own ego?? That's a joke...I am sure she knew going in it, how unpopular her decision would be...at least she has the spine to stand by her decision...a decision taking into account safety of all her students. Sorry, I don't fault her for that.

The decision stands...what exactly do you expect them to say???

Maybe the parents or the young man involved should have talked to the school BEFORE attemping this? As a parent of a daredevil teen, I wouldn't be happy if my son did this.
Safety... daredevil???. What did he do, climb a 6ft ladder, stand on his buddy's shoulders.?? Clearly someone needs to hold this/these kids hands before they kill themselves. Travis Pastrana ain't got nothing on them... with all that peril a small ladder contains for a late teen I sure hope he nevers has to use one to change an outside lightbulb anytime soon.

I say he should just go anyway. See if the want to bring more negative publicity to them by arresting him for "tresspassing" at his own prom. Or even better, ALL the kids should boycott the "school's prom" and have their own, on their own. Everyone knows the best thing about prom is the after party anyway. Start earlier and show the adults exactly how lame and out of touch they really are.

Should the headnutjob be following tweets on the clock btw??.. doesn't sound like part of her job description.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Safety... daredevil???. What did he do, climb a 6ft ladder, stand on his buddy's shoulders.?? Clearly someone needs to hold this/these kids hands before they kill themselves. Travis Pastrana ain't got nothing on them... with all that peril a small ladder contains for a late teen I sure hope he nevers has to use one to change an outside lightbulb anytime soon.

I say he should just go anyway. See if the want to bring more negative publicity to them by arresting him for "tresspassing" at his own prom. Or even better, ALL the kids should boycott the "school's prom" and have their own, on their own. Everyone knows the best thing about prom is the after party anyway. Start earlier and show the adults exactly how lame and out of touch they really are.

Should the headnutjob be following tweets on the clock btw??.. doesn't sound like part of her job description.
Are you 19 and a former very bad student?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
As a parent of a daredevil teen, I wouldn't be happy if my son did this.
Lighten up!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Are you 19 and a former very bad student?

No and no... also not a fan of living in nanny state society that thinks it's such a big deal for an almost adult to climb a ladder. Barely a hundred years ago, someone his age would be climbing a much taller ladder to help raise the barn on his land to help support his family. Coddling kids SO much and sterilizing the world around them so much will either make them a total wuss scared of their own shadow, or make the world so sterile and boring that it really makes for not much of a "life" worth living.

Just heard a minute ago in news there are talks of an "alternate prom". Good for them!!! The students don't need the headmaster or the school district for their own prom. Leave them out of the invites as well!!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
No and no... also not a fan of living in nanny state society that thinks it's such a big deal for an almost adult to climb a ladder. Barely a hundred years ago, someone his age would be climbing a much taller ladder to help raise the barn on his land to help support his family. Coddling kids SO much and sterilizing the world around them so much will either make them a total wuss scared of their own shadow, or make the world so sterile and boring that it really makes for not much of a "life" worth living.

Just heard a minute ago in news there are talks of an "alternate prom". Good for them!!! The students don't need the headmaster or the school district for their own prom. Leave them out of the invites as well!!
I only asked because you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about school authorities. Anyway, do you realize that the laws you've allowed your legislators to pass and the policies you've allowed your board of education to enforce is the reason this decision was made in the first place? If she gave him a lighter punishment because he's a good kid who has never been in trouble, don't you think the parents of a bad kid (and their lawyer) would have cried for lack of fairness? In my ideal world, I'm all for saying "yes, he's a good kid so we'll cut him some slack." But we've been told we can't do that because being responsible for your actions isn't acceptable.

Believe me I am not for coddling kids, but schools have been unfortunately sued for everything from a kid slipping on ice to getting a sliver.

Alternative prom? Go ahead and try and organize it. Leave everything behind that the students on the prom committee worked for. Yeesh, why are we still talking about this. Yeah, it sucks that he's received this punishment, but get over it. Wouldn't that be rather "un-coddling".

Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Lighten up!
He's eighteen. Sure he'll do stupid things, but he will be called on it and occasionally given what is a harsher than should be punishment. That's life. Unless, you want to keep giving him a pass so that one day he'll say "Lighten up…officer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut