U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:48 PM

13 posts, read 19,293 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband just started working at P & W in Middletown. We are wondering about the commute from West Hartford along Rte 9. Can any one comment on whether this is easily done in under 30 min and what sections in West Hartford are best for commute to Middletown. We are looking for a family friendly area.
Thanks!
Deb
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,527,264 times
it's really not that bad traffic wise (i used to commute to Simsbury so i took this route all the time) but it is only 2 lanes in most places (if not all) and sometimes very narrow and windey. just have to make sure you slow down. don't know much about WH as far as where to live but 30 minutes from the Rt 9 entrance down from the mall is very doable. of course that depends on where you are going in M'town too.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
it's really not that bad traffic wise (i used to commute to Simsbury so i took this route all the time) but it is only 2 lanes in most places (if not all) and sometimes very narrow and windey. just have to make sure you slow down. don't know much about WH as far as where to live but 30 minutes from the Rt 9 entrance down from the mall is very doable. of course that depends on where you are going in M'town too.
The sad part is transit here sucks if it didnt u wont even need to drive

Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,226,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufordgill View Post
Hi,
My husband just started working at P & W in Middletown. We are wondering about the commute from West Hartford along Rte 9. Can any one comment on whether this is easily done in under 30 min and what sections in West Hartford are best for commute to Middletown. We are looking for a family friendly area.
Thanks!
Deb
I'd say count on 30 minutes. RT9 in DT Middletown can get a little backed up as there are several lights, so it can add another 5-10 minutes to the commute past DT to PW.

It's certainly not a bad commute though. Also, depending on where you are in WH will make a difference. Try to keep near the South/West side of town or you can spend 10 minutes just trying to get to the highway.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM

32,915 posts, read 52,177,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
The sad part is transit here sucks if it didnt u wont even need to drive
I do not agree. There is no reason to have transit from a suburb west of Hartford to a small central Connecticut city. There are not enough riders to warrant it. IT is the same anywhere else. Jay

Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

4,998 posts, read 4,107,967 times
If you live in the Wood Pond area of WH (very nice, by the way), it is a very easy hop on to the Rt 9 south entry ramp. You should have smooth sailing all the way up until the traffic lights in Middletown. I would view it as a very manageable commute.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,404,824 times
From where I live in West Hartford, which is right at the Bloomfield line, I'm a hop-skip-jump from 91S which takes you onto RT9. According to Mapquest, it's just under 30 minutes from my WH house to the center of Middletown.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,226,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
From where I live in West Hartford, which is right at the Bloomfield line, I'm a hop-skip-jump from 91S which takes you onto RT9. According to Mapquest, it's just under 30 minutes from my WH house to the center of Middletown.
The only issue I would see there is getting through DT Hartford from the North.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,404,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
My husband does the commute -- did it today, in fact -- one day per week. He never has a problem, but maybe that's because he gets on the road at about 9am, when everyone is already at their destinations.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,353,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, you can always get to I-91 from Route 218/Cottage Grove Road and pick up the highway from there. It cuts through Bloomfield and Windsor and it's fine. No hastles or safety issues. I take it every day to get to work on Day Hill Road and you have no idea what a relief it is not having to get on the highway -- or drive through the hood.

Note to the OP: Definitely check out the Wood Pond neighborhood. Beautiful area, but not cheap. Most of the streets in this area don't even have sidewalks or cubring and it's more subdued over there. The West Farms nabe is also nice. It's close to the mall and Wolcott Park and Wolcott Elementary. Both provide easy access to route 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut