U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,041 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating for work in late summer and I will be working in downtown New Haven. There are so many areas to consider and was hoping you folks could point us in the right direction.

We currently live in Ardmore, PA, which is about 10 miles west of Philly. It is an awesome older suburb that fits the needs of our young family; safe, friendly community, short commute to work (~30 mins to downtown), walking access to several libraries/parks/Haverford College nature trail, etc. There are kids galore, which makes it an ideal place for my two year old.

When moving to CT, we plan to rent for the next several years, and would like to find a place similar to Ardmore, PA. Don't want to be in the middle of the city, but also not interested in more rural suburbs. We're flexible on housing type, but will need 3 bdrms. Plan to spend no more than $1600/mo. Schools will be an issue for us in about 4 years, so an excellent school district would be nice, but is not a prerequisite.

Found a couple listings in the following areas that seem like they might fit our needs:
East Rock, New Haven
Spring Glen & Mt. Carmel, Hamden
Woodbridge - close to New Haven line
Downtown and surrounding area of Milford

Thoughts on these, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM

21,105 posts, read 28,607,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmore359 View Post
East Rock, New Haven
Spring Glen & Mt. Carmel, Hamden
Woodbridge - close to New Haven line
Downtown and surrounding area of Milford
There are two New Havens - collegetown New Haven, and 'hood New Haven. Sometimes the two mix, but that's rare. The nice sections of New Haven tend to be pricey (downtown, Westville) while the undesirable parts are dirt cheap. Generally, in CT, if it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason.
  • East Rock is a nice neighborhood of New Haven. It's a decent, walkable area, but I wouldn't send my child to New Haven schools. For now? Sure. Get to know the city.
  • Hamden is a middle class suburb north of New Haven. It's a mixed bag - affluent areas, middle class areas and urban areas. The urban areas (closest to New Haven) aren't good for families. The schools are racially and economically diverse.
  • Woodbridge is a very affluent, woodsy suburb of New Haven. The area closest to New Haven (Amity section) is more middle class. It is an enclave for doctors, lawyers and professors, therefore is expensive when you're ready to buy a home. I'm not sure I'd call it family friendly - it's a quiet, reserved town with well-to-do folks.
  • Milford is where I was going to suggest you start out. It's a middle class town with some upper-middle class sections. If you can find a place downtown (which can be pricey), then you'll be able to walk to restaurants, shops, and the Metro North RR (commuter service along the CT shoreline from New Haven to Manhattan). Schools are decent for when you're ready to buy.

Other towns I'd suggest you check out are Branford and North Haven. Branford is beautiful with a nice town center and great schools. North Haven is a middle class suburb next to Hamden with good schools too.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM

20,101 posts, read 24,886,053 times
Woodbridge is probably too rural for you.

I'd strongly recommend Milford. You might want to check out Branford too.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM

32,653 posts, read 51,569,024 times
I agree with Kidyankee. His description of the towns you mention is what I would have said. I also agree to check into Branford and North Haven. I would also add Guilford to the list. Jay

Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM
dkv

96 posts, read 146,179 times
We moved from Philly to New Haven four years ago.

Woodbridge is completely unwalkable.

East Rock is nice, lots of rentals, lots of young families, but a very transient population (grad students, etc.). I, too, would not (did not) stick around for public schools for our kids.

Branford and guilford both have walkable town centers. I would imagine that Branford has a larger rental market because it's a bigger town.

I don't know much abot Milford.

I think you're doing the right thing by renting first.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM

20,101 posts, read 24,886,053 times
Milford definitely has the most walkable and active town center in the towns mentioned.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 PM

241 posts, read 518,078 times
I grew up in your general area and attended high school in Ardmore. I don't know most of the locations you suggested very well but I do think that Milford would be an excellent fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut