Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 PM

11 posts, read 12,205 times

Advertisements

I've been reading so much on Connecticut but still have mixed feelings. My husband was offered a job with DCMA (defense contract management agency). His salary starts at 65k and increases the next few years. It is a foot in the door. We are not sure how we are going to love living on the east coast so we will be selling our house here and renting for the first year. We have 2 children, one that will be in 5th grade this year and another that is an eighteen year old that has just graduated and wants to finish her cosmetology. I'm not quite sure if I want to start another job. I've worked at our family owned pet store for the last 13 years and am throwing the idea around about petsmart or petco. There are so many little towns around there I am feeling overwhelmed. We have a start date of July 5. My husband is willing to drive an hour to Norwalk so we can maybe find a house that will accept dogs. What towns should I be concentrating on? Thank you on advance. I know this was pretty lengthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,172 times
I am new to posting to this forum but wanted to wish you best of luck with your move. The first town that I thought of was Fairfield but then your Husband will be stuck doing the south bound heavy traffic commute. I think Stamford would have some houses for rent and although I live in Stamford I don't have kids so I am not sure how the schools are

Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
You will find that's a tight budget. The towns immediately surrounding Norwalk will be the most expensive, so you'll probably want to look a little further north. Also, it will be a littler harder to find a rental that accepts dogs. What exactly do you think your monthly budget for a rental would be? Keep in mind that utilities, especially heat, can run around $400 a month during winter, or even higher. You'll probably be renting an older home, too. Start your search first in Fairfield, followed by Bethel, Trumbull, Monroe, Newtown, Shelton, Milford and Stratford. The commute will be around an hour for those towns during rush hour, maybe a little more depending on the town/traffic. Of course, if there is an accident (and there often is) it can be much longer. Some of those towns, like Trumbull, Monroe and Newtown probably won't have many homes for rent, though. But you have several towns to choose from.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Thank you. It's a big move but a great opportunity.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Thank you for the advice. It is a tight budget compared to living in Yakima, Wa. Our budget should be around 2k for the rental and I have considered the heating as well since our home now has oil heating. I'm at work now but will start down on the list tonight. The property taxes has us worried. Buying a house might be the only option it is starting to seem with two border collies and a pom.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You will find that's a tight budget. The towns immediately surrounding Norwalk will be the most expensive, so you'll probably want to look a little further north. Also, it will be a littler harder to find a rental that accepts dogs. What exactly do you think your monthly budget for a rental would be? Keep in mind that utilities, especially heat, can run around $400 a month during winter, or even higher. You'll probably be renting an older home, too. Start your search first in Fairfield, followed by Bethel, Trumbull, Monroe, Newtown, Shelton, Milford and Stratford.
Good suggestions for CT. Also, i wouldn't dismiss looking in NY for a rental. For a purchase though, yeah, stay away from NY. Westchester County property taxes are scandalous.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:13 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Would the New Milford area be a possibility? The OP's spouse could shoot down route 7. It should be about an hour-- but does traffic make this unrealistic?

The New Milford area is more rural, quite and laid back. It is also a less expensive area with some nice rental housing, decent schools, etc..

Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb1722 View Post
I think Stamford would have some houses for rent and although I live in Stamford I don't have kids so I am not sure how the schools are
Stamford should have 3Br. duplexes in the OP's budget, but the school system appears to get worse as you progress past the elementary level.

However, in looking at the stats/dynamics of the area where the OP is currently located(Yakima,WA), perhaps Stamford, and its middle schools, would be acceptable for the OP?

I forgot to mention that there are (dumpy)3Br. duplexes off of New Norwalk Rd. in New Canaan(!!!) that usually go for just a little bit over 2K/month. It might be worth checking out for the excellent school system.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
Will your husband's new job be close to the train station in Norwalk? If so, he can save a lot of time/stress by just commuting via train. Look for towns along the New Haven line -- Milford would be a good option.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
You should be able to a find a single family home or luxury townhome in and around Danbury (Danbury,Brookfield,Bethel and New Fairfield). Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut