Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,250 times

Advertisements

I just landed a new job in Fairfield. I currently live in NYC and would eventually like to move closer to my job. The commute to and from Conn. from NY is not that bad, but still can be a pain.I've been looking to get out of the city for a while and feel like this is my chance. What towns close to Fairfield would you reccommend? Looking for what everyone is looking for... nice community (preferably diverse. We're an african american family) good schools ( no kids yet, but soon) and nothing too expensive(at least no more expensive than NYC). Any comments would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 02:59 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Monet81 - Welcome to connecticut. I think you will like it here and I am sure you will like working in Fairfield. To answer your question, why not move to Fairfield. It ias a great town with a lot of offer. There is a diverse range of housing options from apartments to mansions. The schools are excellent, among the highest rated in the State. There is great shopping, restaurants and entertainment options and there are wonderful parks and beaches. It is truly a nice town. I should note that Fairfield will be less expensive than New York and many of the towns to the west. It is however more expensive than some other communities to the east. From experience I can tell you though that there is nothing like living near your office. I am able to be home in a few minutes and can duck out of nthe office to attend my kids school functions if needed.

Another great town nearby is Trumbull. It to has great schools and shopping (the regions largest mall is located there), restaurants and entertainment. There are great parks, but Trumbull is not located on the coast so there are no beahces.

There are other towns in the area that you could consider. If you give us an idea of what you are looking for and a price range, we can help you more. Jay

Old 08-06-2007, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,610 times
I have lived or maintained a home in Fairfield all of my life. We just sold and are considering N.C. for our next home.
I am white, my husband is black, we have been married 28 years. We have 4 children, ages 12 - 26. Fairfield is NOT a racially diverse town. Our oldest two said there were 4.5 black kids at their H.S., three full black kids, they made up one full black kid and James Blake made the .5. The current African American population at the H.S. my daughter is due to attend is 1%. Fairfield has, historically, made gains in minority residents, and I'm sure the trend will continue.
Fairfield is a great town, excellent schools and great people. Home prices are high, and have remained relatively steady. Taxes are extremely high, and the town offers great community services.
Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegall View Post
I have lived or maintained a home in Fairfield all of my life. We just sold and are considering N.C. for our next home.
I am white, my husband is black, we have been married 28 years. We have 4 children, ages 12 - 26. Fairfield is NOT a racially diverse town. Our oldest two said there were 4.5 black kids at their H.S., three full black kids, they made up one full black kid and James Blake made the .5. The current African American population at the H.S. my daughter is due to attend is 1%. Fairfield has, historically, made gains in minority residents, and I'm sure the trend will continue.
Fairfield is a great town, excellent schools and great people. Home prices are high, and have remained relatively steady. Taxes are extremely high, and the town offers great community services.
Good luck!
yankeegall - I am not sure I agree with your comment that taxes are "extremely" high. I find that Fairfield's taxes are lower than my town outside of Hartford. I live in a similar upscale community and pay more than people I know in Fairfield with similar homes and their homes are valued a lot more than mine. I am not saying taxes are low, but I do believe that you get what you pay for and I think you get a lot in Fairfield. Jay

Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 17,610 times
Jay,
I agree, you do get a lot for your tax money in Fairfield. IMHO, most of the country would find the taxes in Fairfield extremely high. Bridgeport's taxes are really extremely high, those folks get very little for their money.
My taxes are 16K a year, that is sticker shock for many people relocating to this area of the country.
Cindy

Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,538 times
Check out these neighborhoods in the Western part of Bridgeport: Black Rock, Brooklawn, and the North End.

For a small town feel you could try Monroe which is on the other side of Trumbull.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,737 times
Monet81-How did your search turn out? I will be relocating to Fairfield within the next month or two and now looking for a place. I'll be working in Fairfield and need to find a place to live. I won't be buying a house, more so looking for a townhouse (2 bedrooms) with approx 1200 sq feet.

Just looking for your insight.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdaniels1937 View Post
Monet81-How did your search turn out? I will be relocating to Fairfield within the next month or two and now looking for a place. I'll be working in Fairfield and need to find a place to live. I won't be buying a house, more so looking for a townhouse (2 bedrooms) with approx 1200 sq feet.

Just looking for your insight.
You probably won't get a response as the thread is 4 years old.

It all depends on your budget. How much are you looking to spend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut