Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
And don't get me started on the public beaches. I avoid them like the plague. They become overwhelmingly crowded and noisy, with people who think they are celebrities, taking pictures of themselves to post them on Facebook later on. I do, however, enjoy the private beaches. You can actually breathe and relax.
OP has access to Milford town beaches, which are far from crowded. I personally benefit from having a private beach in my neighborhood, so I guess I shouldn't talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
But yeah, it's a difficult thing to keep life fun, fresh and fulfilling, especially after decades of living in the same place. So now I'm trying to date and build relationships with people, to help make life more worth living!
I find that living a fulfilling life is easy. I can't tell you how many times friends will stop by (or vice versa) and we all just sit around and talk, have a beer or iced tea, sometimes if there are enough of us we'll pull out Trivial Pursuit. DW and I (and our friends) don't rely on other people or other things to entertain us - we're perfectly happy sitting on the back deck, drinks in hand, solving the world's problems. I can't tell you the last time I've been to the movies.

Don't get me wrong - I have a pretty sweet TV, but I only watch the news and the occasional baseball game. There's so much more to life than watching TV.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I find that living a fulfilling life is easy. I can't tell you how many times friends will stop by (or vice versa) and we all just sit around and talk, have a beer or iced tea, sometimes if there are enough of us we'll pull out Trivial Pursuit. DW and I (and our friends) don't rely on other people or other things to entertain us - we're perfectly happy sitting on the back deck, drinks in hand, solving the world's problems. I can't tell you the last time I've been to the movies.

Don't get me wrong - I have a pretty sweet TV, but I only watch the news and the occasional baseball game. There's so much more to life than watching TV.
I think the key there is friends and companionship. Without that, life can be a real bore. What good is great places to visit if you're doing it alone? I once took a trip the USVI alone because my girlfriend couldn't get off work and I had some vacation days to blow at the end of the year. I thought it would be great - relaxing, which it was - but it was seriously lacking and even boring at times compared to trips I made there with girlfriends or friends. If I can get bored in paradise, CT isn't going to be any better. Good thing it was only 4 days.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I think the key there is friends and companionship.
Agreed. So to take it one step further, maybe the people complaining of boredom should join a club, gym or group.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Eharmony, match, etc etc

Quit complaining - get a spouse, get a house

Get projects... Learn how to do something with you own to hands, write, scuplt, be in the moment doing something

Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Eharmony, match, etc etc

Quit complaining - get a spouse, get a house

Get projects... Learn how to do something with you own to hands, write, scuplt, be in the moment doing something
I guess some people are just luckier in life to have a fulfilling social life and an abundance of friends, etc. Maybe my personality isn't quite conducive to building friendships. Or maybe it's because I don't drink, party or dance. Who knows?

"Get a spouse, get a house." Are you freekin' kidding me? Far easier said than done. First of all, I am homosexual, and have never even had a single relationship in my entire life, even at 27 years old. It's tough being gay, and gay men are very fickle and picky (including myself, probably). And the house thing? I make a decent salary, even for CT standards and can't even afford a decent house in a decent town. Trust me...I've tried and tried. But then again, I am afraid of being tied down to a mortgage while having a job I don't like. That's a recipe for disaster.

I use internet dating sites almost daily, but haven't had much luck finding someone that I desire enough to settle down with. And gay clubs are utter trash full of losers, lowlifes and feminine men who worship Lady Gaga. I'm not that type of gay, but that's just the way it is!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
I guess some people are just luckier in life to have a fulfilling social life and an abundance of friends, etc. Maybe my personality isn't quite conducive to building friendships. Or maybe it's because I don't drink, party or dance. Who knows?

"Get a spouse, get a house." Are you freekin' kidding me? Far easier said than done. First of all, I am homosexual, and have never even had a single relationship in my entire life, even at 27 years old. It's tough being gay, and gay men are very fickle and picky (including myself, probably). And the house thing? I make a decent salary, even for CT standards and can't even afford a decent house in a decent town. Trust me...I've tried and tried. But then again, I am afraid of being tied down to a mortgage while having a job I don't like. That's a recipe for disaster.

I use internet dating sites almost daily, but haven't had much luck finding someone that I desire enough to settle down with. And gay clubs are utter trash full of losers, lowlifes and feminine men who worship Lady Gaga. I'm not that type of gay, but that's just the way it is!
Meh. I certainly don't go to gay clubs. I hate Lady Gaga. I am far from feminine. Yet my experience has been very different than yours.

I have a nice circle of friends-- Folks I grew up with, went to camp with and others I have met only recently. I met a very nice guy using one of the online sites and our relationship is going well.

Even when I was single, when I am home I spend time with family and friends and enjoy all sorts of activities.

If you're bored, it's your fault. You don't need to live in a house to have an active life and social life. If your personality isn't conducive to building friendships than CHANGE. There are all sorts of great gay and non-gay groups that can be sources of friends and relationships.

Maybe I can hook you up with some ideas... DM me if interested...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Meh. I certainly don't go to gay clubs. I hate Lady Gaga. I am far from feminine. Yet my experience has been very different than yours.

I have a nice circle of friends-- Folks I grew up with, went to camp with and others I have met only recently. I met a very nice guy using one of the online sites and our relationship is going well.

Even when I was single, when I am home I spend time with family and friends and enjoy all sorts of activities.

If you're bored, it's your fault. You don't need to live in a house to have an active life and social life. If your personality isn't conducive to building friendships than CHANGE. There are all sorts of great gay and non-gay groups that can be sources of friends and relationships.

Maybe I can hook you up with some ideas... DM me if interested...
Maybe you're having a different experience than me because (a) your personality is probably very different, and (b) you're significantly older than me. Personality is a very difficult thing to change. And from my experience, these "gay groups" tend to have lots of strange or unattractive men. I'm sorry, but I am more attractive than the average guy and want to be with someone who is attractive as well. I'm sure you understand this basic natural phenomenon. It's kind of like how we often see an attractive guy with an attractive girl in public, but never an attractive guy with an unattractive girl. Besides, most of these men who attend these gay groups are also found on internet websites anyway. But I do appreciate your insight.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:31 PM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
Get a spouse, get a "life"!!!!???!!! Ummmm, thank god you didn't give advice to all of the inventors/great thinkers/givers in this world. This is not the only "life" for one to choose, and you don't just go out shopping for a spouse.

How about, just follow your interests, and something will pop up. Before I had kids, I traveled every three months, met great people, saw awesome places, and became a well rounded individual.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Maybe you're having a different experience than me because (a) your personality is probably very different, and (b) you're significantly older than me. Personality is a very difficult thing to change. And from my experience, these "gay groups" tend to have lots of strange or unattractive men. I'm sorry, but I am more attractive than the average guy and want to be with someone who is attractive as well. I'm sure you understand this basic natural phenomenon. It's kind of like how we often see an attractive guy with an attractive girl in public, but never an attractive guy with an unattractive girl. Besides, most of these men who attend these gay groups are also found on internet websites anyway. But I do appreciate your insight.
I'm 37. You make it sound like I'm 70.

Well at least you're not shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut