Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM

220 posts, read 524,978 times

Advertisements

If you still need further proof that this is not a crime-ridden street, here's the New Haven Independent Crime Log from April 2011: New Haven Crime Log I see some parking tickets, 'evading responsibility' twice, and theft of under $50 which is probably a bicycle or other small item that someone left outside their house.

Like I said previously, the only serious problems in the neighborhood over the last few months have been car theft and car break-ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 9,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
If you still need further proof that this is not a crime-ridden street, here's the New Haven Independent Crime Log from April 2011: New Haven Crime Log I see some parking tickets, 'evading responsibility' twice, and theft of under $50 which is probably a bicycle or other small item that someone left outside their house.

Like I said previously, the only serious problems in the neighborhood over the last few months have been car theft and car break-ins.

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide me with information. I appreciate it tremendously.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everamom View Post
I want to thank you for taking the time to provide me with information. I appreciate it tremendously.
Look a few streets over to the southwest. You'll begin to see multiple warrants/wanted persons, burglaries and larcenies. Keep in mind there is not a moat around Lawrence Street...

I like New Haven to visit - great restaurants, cool stores, beautiful architecture...but again, I would NOT feel comfortable with a single female close to me living alone in the city.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Look a few streets over to the southwest. You'll begin to see multiple warrants/wanted persons, burglaries and larcenies. Keep in mind there is not a moat around Lawrence Street...

I like New Haven to visit - great restaurants, cool stores, beautiful architecture...but again, I would NOT feel comfortable with a single female close to me living alone in the city.
Within a .5 mile radius of Lawrence Street (southwest) there are 10 sex offenders, 2 of which are multiple offenders. I always check the registry where my girls live. My daughter found out last minute she was accepted to the film program (3 days ago and starts June 6th) , so I got caught up looking for a place.

Again, I realize there are sex offenders all around us. However, I consider the level of the offenders and nature of offenses, and how close they are to where my daughters will be living. Of course, you are right kidyannkee764. There is not a moat around Lawrence Street. Checking the registry settled it for me.

For those who may fault me for relying on the registry. Bear in mind my 24 yr-old sister was kidnapped, tortured, and raped for 3 hours before being stuffed alive in the trunk of her car that was plunged into a river. The scum that did this to my sister was a known sex offender.

It really is amazing I ever let my girls out of my sight, but I realized my sister's death could not overshadow their life. I am not an alarmist....just a realist who feels it is not worth taking the chance with my daughter's safety.

Thanks again to all.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
There was a poster here a year or so ago that moved with her husband to New Haven from out-of-state. Several posters here assured here she'd be fine. After moving here though, she complained of the crime and not feeling safe. She hasn't posted here in a while, I wonder whatever happened to her. But my point is, New Haven is not a city that most women feel safe in. And it is unrealistic to expect someone never to venture outside after dark, particularly since it's dark in the winter by 5 p.m. The OP's daughter would be better off living in Hamden, and her commute would be quicker, too.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 AM

220 posts, read 524,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
There was a poster here a year or so ago that moved with her husband to New Haven from out-of-state. Several posters here assured here she'd be fine. After moving here though, she complained of the crime and not feeling safe. She hasn't posted here in a while, I wonder whatever happened to her. But my point is, New Haven is not a city that most women feel safe in. And it is unrealistic to expect someone never to venture outside after dark, particularly since it's dark in the winter by 5 p.m. The OP's daughter would be better off living in Hamden, and her commute would be quicker, too.
I agree that the OP's daughter is probably better off in Hamden to prevent a summer of the whole family feeling anxious.

The poster in question here, though, moved to Westville, on the other side of the city, and took her landlord's word (apparently sight unseen) that the apartment she rented was in Westville, when it in fact was a lot closer to these 'bad' neighborhoods that everyone keeps talking about. Of course we all know she was unhappy.

No one has been grabbed and stuffed into a van by a sex offender in East Rock in the time I've lived here. It HAS happened in the small town where I grew up in upstate New York, which doesn't even register on the 'dangerous cities' list. There are plenty of women who live in East Rock - many of them in their twenties - and feel completely fine. It's unfortunate that people who DON'T live here and are not familiar to the area continue to give advice to other posters that is based on hearsay and not on personal experience. I don't post on threads about Stamford or Hartford pretending to know what's going on, because I don't.

To the OP - I wish you the best of luck with your search, and if this is really worrying you, then by all means have your daughter move to Hamden.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:01 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
When looking in Hamden, keep in mind - be picky with neighborhoods. If it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
When looking in Hamden, keep in mind - be picky with neighborhoods. If it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason.

Yes. That's a lesson we as adults have learned (usually the hard way!).

I just found a sublet in Hamden, Hamden Hills Drive ($1000).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut