Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 9,894 times

Advertisements

My daughter (24) is looking to rent (sublet) apartment on Lawrence Street for the month of June. I would appreciate any feedback regarding the area.She will be traveling to Quinnipiac U during the week.

To be honest, I am a wreck thinking about her being alone n New Haven. I know crime happens everywhere, but I'd rather she not put herself in the middle of a known crime-ridden area.

Thanks in advance.

4everamom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM

220 posts, read 524,905 times
Lawrence St. is not a crime-ridden area. It's right in the middle of one of the safest neighborhoods in New Haven, with a good amount of pedestrian traffic and some young families, grad students, and Yale staff. She'll be driving to Quinnipiac, right? As long as she uses common sense (no walking alone at night, being aware of surroundings, not displaying things like iPods or phones while walking), she'll be fine - the biggest issues in this neighborhood lately are car break-ins, so tell her not to leave anything in her car, even if it seems like no one would want it, and get a steering wheel lock and/or alarm if you're really nervous.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:38 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Sorry, inetlom, but as we learned in the past year, crime happens all over New Haven. It's not a safe city. I would not want my daughter/sister/mother to be living there alone. I'll say right now that we can agree to disagree (because I know we disagree), as I don't want to turn this thread into a "New Haven - safe or unsafe" thread.

It was recently ranked the fourth most dangerous city in the nation. 'Nuff said.

To the OP- what about looking for a rental in Hamden or North Haven?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-28-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Lawrence St is in a traditionally low crime area. Most of the crime happens in a few large neighborhoods in the Western section of the city. Yes, it can happen in safer spots - but that's true of any city. Most of the crime is poor-on-poor in New Haven.

Use common sense and be on guard, don't walk alone at night, etc. and she should be fine. She should also take Whitney Street into Hamden, not Dixwell Ave.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:00 PM

I know all too well that crime happens everywhere. My 24 yr-old sister was murdered in 1983. She was not in a high-crime area.

I have three daughters (the one in question is my youngest, 24), and I have had to balance my fears (born from experience) with their need to experience the world. However, this is a bit much. This same daughter went to college in Hawaii after high school, so it is not that she is away from home that concerns me. It is WHERE she is.

She needs to attend classes at Quinnipiac every day. So, any suggestions as to rental areas would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Hamden would be fine, away from the southern section of the city on Dixwell. But I really would not worry about the East Rock area...

Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Just like with the other thread where someone plans on daily travel to Quinnipiac, but wants to be near New Haven, I recommend the center of Hamden.

The town center's crossroads are Whitney and Dixwell, which means several different city bus schedules that travel to and from downtown New Haven on a regular basis. There are apartments that cater to a variety of younger single people and young couples, and most of them have private parking. Prices are lower than in New Haven, and it's almost equidistant between Downtown New Haven and Q.U.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks to all. We will keep looking.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 PM

220 posts, read 524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry, inetlom, but as we learned in the past year, crime happens all over New Haven. It's not a safe city. I would not want my daughter/sister/mother to be living there alone. I'll say right now that we can agree to disagree (because I know we disagree), as I don't want to turn this thread into a "New Haven - safe or unsafe" thread.

It was recently ranked the fourth most dangerous city in the nation. 'Nuff said.

To the OP- what about looking for a rental in Hamden or North Haven?
kidyankee - I live a block off of Lawrence and have for the last few years. I know exactly how safe or unsafe it is right now, and as a twenty-something woman living here and walking to and from downtown New Haven every day, I know exactly what this person can and cannot expect from subletting an apartment on Lawrence Street. If I didn't, I wouldn't be posting.

4everamom - This is a vibrant and safe neighborhood and I have loved living in East Rock. As long as your daughter takes the same precautions that she would take in any other city in the U.S. - since, as you said, crime happens everywhere - she will be all right, especially since she has a car. If it's really going to bother you so much that you can't sleep at night, then by all means, look for something in Hamden, but know that plenty of other people the same age as your daughter live and work here every day and are completely fine.

Last edited by inetlom; 05-28-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut