Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 9,908 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, recent college graduate here. My family and I are desperately trying to move out of Stamford. We have been here for the past decade and it's very boring here for us. I live with two other siblings and a mother who is handicap and has health issues. Stamford is getting ridiculously expensive plus we live in housing. The worst part about housing, just when you think you can save up after getting a better paying job, they take that extra money away from you, so you're always back to square one. The food is expensive, gas is expensive, people here have no manners, we have no family here or anywhere else in the States. My mom has a point in saying that we can't go anywhere where we don't know anyone but the thing is, we have NO ONE ELSE . Basically, we can't stay here forever, just because we have no one else. We are miserable here, we fight everyday just to keep our civility and humility compared to the rich, uncivilized, and prejudiced beasts! Plus it would be nice if my mom had some adults to speak to, we are from the carribean and the west indians here are just as monstrous, if not worse. So that's the bottom line, I'm close to broke, we're miserable, and we HAVE to move . Anyone has any advice on WHERE I should move to? Please consider price (low, moderate, or moderately high we can handle), environment (it woud be good for my mom especially), jobs (mainly business/Communications, architecture/design, media but we would like to know where there are a substantial amount jobs) and healthcare?? PLEASE HELP!!! and please don't hesistate to e-mail me if you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 AM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
I don't see how Stamford could be boring, especially since you're 45 minutes from the biggest city in the US.

Anyway, it sounds like your problem is more with cost of living than anything. Are you looking into staying in CT or going to another state? Stamford is very expensive, but it also gives you access to a lot more jobs than most cities in the area - as well as commutability to NYC's large job market.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessalines89 View Post
Hi everyone, recent college graduate here. My family and I are desperately trying to move out of Stamford. We have been here for the past decade and it's very boring here for us. I live with two other siblings and a mother who is handicap and has health issues. Stamford is getting ridiculously expensive plus we live in housing. The worst part about housing, just when you think you can save up after getting a better paying job, they take that extra money away from you, so you're always back to square one. The food is expensive, gas is expensive, people here have no manners, we have no family here or anywhere else in the States. My mom has a point in saying that we can't go anywhere where we don't know anyone but the thing is, we have NO ONE ELSE . Basically, we can't stay here forever, just because we have no one else. We are miserable here, we fight everyday just to keep our civility and humility compared to the rich, uncivilized, and prejudiced beasts! Plus it would be nice if my mom had some adults to speak to, we are from the carribean and the west indians here are just as monstrous, if not worse. So that's the bottom line, I'm close to broke, we're miserable, and we HAVE to move . Anyone has any advice on WHERE I should move to? Please consider price (low, moderate, or moderately high we can handle), environment (it woud be good for my mom especially), jobs (mainly business/Communications, architecture/design, media but we would like to know where there are a substantial amount jobs) and healthcare?? PLEASE HELP!!! and please don't hesistate to e-mail me if you want to.
You are definitely in the wrong location price-wise. And you are looking for somewhere with a "substantial amount" of jobs, well, if you find that place please let me know since I too am looking for a job. As for the healthcare comment, I am unsure what you meant by that. Are you looking for free healthcare? Or jobs that have healthcare benefits? If you are not a U.S. citizen, you should have no trouble finding free healthcare, since our government treats those from other countries better than they do their own citizens. But many full-time jobs do offer health benefits.

Consider moving into the New Haven or Bridgeport areas, housing is cheaper and you might find some jobs in those cities. Do you have a car? If so, you can try to find an affordable apartment in the valley area, such as Derby/Ansonia/Seymour, and commute to New Haven or Bridgeport if you find a job there.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I don't see how Stamford could be boring, especially since you're 45 minutes from the biggest city in the US.

Anyway, it sounds like your problem is more with cost of living than anything. Are you looking into staying in CT or going to another state? Stamford is very expensive, but it also gives you access to a lot more jobs than most cities in the area - as well as commutability to NYC's large job market.
I understand what you're saying but the point is, for people like us, the town is boring, we hate it, we don't want to live here period. We were never supposed to stay here for that long and we got stuck here (it's long personal story) but that's one of the reasons why we're trying to get out. I understand the that we are not far away from the biggest city, which is fine but we can't afford to go NY all the time, it's just not convenient.

Our problem is mainly due to cost of living, we have to be careful how we spend our money even in food because we have to pay rent. We wouldn't mind staying in CT, maybe in the STratford, bridgeport are which we hear is cheaper but another state would be fine as well. But I do appreciate your input.

Last edited by Dessalines89; 05-30-2011 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: misplaced paragraph

Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
As for the healthcare comment, I am unsure what you meant by that. Are you looking for free healthcare? Or jobs that have healthcare benefits?

Consider moving into the New Haven or Bridgeport areas, housing is cheaper and you might find some jobs in those cities. Do you have a car? If so, you can try to find an affordable apartment in the valley area, such as Derby/Ansonia/Seymour, and commute to New Haven or Bridgeport if you find a job there.

I forgot to mention, we are all U.S. citizens, so for my siblings and I, it would be jobs with benefits. For my mom, she is currently on medicaid, so we're concerned to know if she would lose here insurance if we move out of state.

Yes! We thought about Bpt/ NH as well, and I do have car but I need a new one . We're looking. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Anyone else got any ideas?? We were thinking of moving within the year.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
Ever considered moving to another state and starting over.

It's a strange coincidence to see people coming out of their shells and complaining about CT

Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's a strange coincidence to see people coming out of their shells and complaining about CT
Read the other Boards and you will see the same thing on them too. Lots o fpeople complaining about their state. It is the old "The grass is greener on the other side of the fence" routine. Jay

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Anyone else got any ideas?? We were thinking of moving within the year.
You say you just completed college. Now is the time to get a job. I would suggest you find a job somewhere first and then worry about where to move. If you want to remain in Connecticut I would recommend looking in Bridgeport, New Haven or Hartford areas. Once you find a job, then move to a nearby town to minimize your commute. I am not sure you will find a town that is more exciting but you will find a better quality of living which is more important IMHO. Jay

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

I appreciate everyone's input but I was wondering, Jay, I get your point about the grass being greener on the other side but for us, we feel like our growth has been stunted (socially, intellectually, etc...). We never wanted to come here but our father forced us to come here promising that we wouldn't be here for long and then he moved (God knows where), leaving us to pay for the rent and taking care of our mom. Things have gotten worse ever since he left so we're trying to go somewhere else. We all have our degrees but it's been hard for us to find jobs.

On another note, can anyone tell what is so exciting about Stamford. I am in no way trying to be ironic or funny but all of you have said that so I am wondering after living here for 10 years, maybe I missed something???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut