Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stook1 View Post
What about organic farms or farmers markets in the area? Anything worth considering? Even up into Ridgefield, Wilton, Bedford/Pound Ridge maybe? We go through a huge amount of produce weekly so we could possibly stock up on the weekends.

For meats, we go through more poultry than beef or seafood. I am reasonably ok with the ~$4/lb I currently pay for organic chicken since I don't expect to find vastly better pricing.

Stone Gardens Farm in Shelton:
Come Direct to the Grower and Co

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Just Google it.

http://www.westportfarmersmarket.com/
wilton farmers market
Ridgefield Farmers Market - Ridgefield, CT | Local-Farmers-Markets.Com
Robert Treat Farm. Authentic Family Farm Market and Garden Center. Milford Connecticut (http://www.roberttreatfarm.com/WoodmontFarmersMarket.html - broken link)
milforddowntownfarmersmarket.com - Home

Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Organic "direct from the farm locations": http://www.ctnofa.org/Farms/Fairfield.pho (broken link)

Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Organic "direct from the farm locations": http://www.ctnofa.org/Farms/Fairfield.pho (broken link)
The link didn't work for me.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The link didn't work for me.
Strange. I double checked and the url is right. Try searching for Northeast Organic Farming Association of Connecticut. I'd put a link to the home site but I'm not sure if it'll load. I can't find a link on there to the original url I posted, but the sections on organic farming and community farms list the farms dedicated to organic farming.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM

19 posts, read 71,336 times
Change the last o in the link to a p:

http://www.ctnofa.org/Farms/Fairfield.php

Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Wow, another victim to the organic scam Inc.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM

87 posts, read 214,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Wow, another victim to the organic scam Inc.

Quote:
We recently switched to eating almost exclusively organic produce and meats and would like a source for more reasonably priced items (please no comments about organic vs. not-organic).
I know it is super tempting to throw in one's two cents about the benefit of organic foods. This is why I specifically tried to preempt comments like yours in the OP. Please keep the thread constructive.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
I know it is super tempting to throw in one's two cents about the benefit of organic foods. This is why I specifically tried to preempt comments like yours in the OP. Please keep the thread constructive.
I saw that. But I hope you do realize the organic industry has been hijacked by the same Big Food Inc., which has been selling processed food for the masses.

Nothing is organic in the grocery stores anymore, unless if you buy from a "real" farmer with his own produce. Or if you have a cow tied in your porch, or hens in the garden :d

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I saw that. But I hope you do realize the organic industry has been hijacked by the same Big Food Inc., which has been selling processed food for the masses.

Nothing is organic in the grocery stores anymore, unless if you buy from a "real" farmer with his own produce. Or if you have a cow tied in your porch, or hens in the garden :d
They do use marginally better processes and standards of growing compared to non-organic, especially if non-organic's origins are from third world countries where who-knows-what is sprayed (not that we're much better).

Although I do agree that the cost increase is not necessarily worth it in the grocery store.

I get all my milk raw from a local farm. Wouldn't do it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut