Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The quickest express from Stamford on a weekend is 50 minutes. Also, that train stops anyway in Darien or Milford, and is just express from Stamford (with a stop at 125th).

If you need amenities at the station, sure, Stamford is great. I go to the station to get on the train, though, not for vending machines.

And why would you be waiting an hour with a preschooler in GC? Plan your trip right and you'll make your train. It's not really too hard.
49 minutes, but who's counting. LOL My point is, there is an express from Stamford and 49 minutes vs 97 minutes is a big deal...almost twice as long.

As for facilities, it's nice for "potty/diaper change" and/or having the room for an antsy child to walk around and look out windows etc.

As for the hour wait, if you want to be a clock nazi on a leisurly trip that's up to you. I just think it's nice to have the option to divert for 20 minutes on the way back if something catches your eye and/or not have to be so starch pressed to catch the train.

We don't have to argue about which station is best, I'm sure either will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
We don't have to argue about which station is best, I'm sure either will do.
97 minutes isn't a big deal if there's an accident or construction on 95, or regular weekend summer traffic.

I'm not arguing about which station is best - I'm just pointing out that it's silly for the OP to drive all the way to Stamford when there are closer stations that provide free parking. But, hey, if they want to risk getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a Saturday night because of emergency construction or an overturned TT, all the while spending 20 bucks to park across a street and up four flights of stairs, more power to 'em!

At that point, the OP is better off driving in and spending 30 bucks to park right in midtown.

Anyways, just sayin'. I'll bow out of this thread. You're welcome, OP.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
97 minutes isn't a big deal if there's an accident or construction on 95, or regular weekend summer traffic.
Or a big black bear might jump out of the bushes and eat them. Summer traffic? Going the opposite direction of them chico.

A one hour 45 minute ride is long, don't try and make it out that it's not.

Quote:
I'm not arguing about which station is best
Of course you are...

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that it's silly for the OP to drive all the way to Stamford when there are closer stations that provide free parking. But, hey, if they want to risk getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a Saturday night because of emergency construction or an overturned TT, all the while spending 20 bucks to park across a street and up four flights of stairs, more power to 'em!
You know what, I've not really responded to your "got to be right" post, but since you are determined to be a smart ass screw it.

1. It's not vending machines. There is a subway, Dunkin Donuts, Java Joes, clean bathrooms, a newstand, room for a 4 year old to burn energy and even an MTA police station which is nice just to have around if you are returning at night. That makes a difference.

2. Unless you missed it, there are two pedestrian bridges from the 4th floor of the garage to the station. No stairs, no crossing the street. Furthermore there are these electric new fangled moving stair things called es-ca-la-tors.

And I'm not sure where you are getting it's $20.00. I never remembered it being so expensive and simple internet search shows a rate of $1.00 per hour with a max of $10.00.

Stamford Transportation Center - Parking Garage

As for traffic on 95, it's not so hard to check before getting on the road and if so, just going up to the Meritt.

That's the reality and I'm sure the OP appreciates forthright and honest information for her family and not some snarky pissing contest.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
In any event, have fun, OP. Lots of good options are available for this trip.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
Thanks for all the input!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Rush hour on weekends?
You misread. I meant, there isn't an express on weekends like there is on weekday rush hour?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
There is NO express train to grand central. I repeat, NOooooooooooooooo

If you think skipping Greenwich is express, then you need your head examined

Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There is NO express train to grand central. I repeat, NOooooooooooooooo

If you think skipping Greenwich is express, then you need your head examined
There are express trains on weekdays that only make a couple stops. Considering starting at towns like Milford and Fairfield that have expresses and are many stops in, and only making a couple stops - that is certainly express.

Also the Stamford express skips much more than Greenwich. There's more than one station in Greenwich, and many in Westchester.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
There are express trains on weekdays that only make a couple stops. Considering starting at towns like Milford and Fairfield that have expresses and are many stops in, and only making a couple stops - that is certainly express.

Also the Stamford express skips much more than Greenwich. There's more than one station in Greenwich, and many in Westchester.
If A is Stamford and B is GCT, then A to B non-stop is what generally can be termed express. But all metro north trains stop at Harlem 125th. No exceptions

I rarely found a conductor who didn't stop there one 7:52 am train. It didn't stop there again, then the third day, they stopped for about a couple minutes. Weirdos. So, technically, there is no express to GCT. Might as well say faster trains In their bizarre minds, express means skipping Greenwich, Port Chester or New Rochelle.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 AM

It's still called an express train, so it's a moot point. It's the same from White Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut