Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times

Advertisements

Legislators send marijuana decrim bill to the governor | The Connecticut Mirror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Why get depressed what else is new for CT,glad I sold and am out of the state.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
You know I'm not against the premise, but the fact that this got railroaded through like everthing else is the problem.

So we have a known narcotic being legalized, but with no regulation in place like there is for alcohol. Great, so 6 year olds can posess weed and it's not a problem.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
I'd rather take the money I would have spent on weed to pay relocation costs.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,583 times
No, because unlike the boomer generation, I know that we actually have to pay for things we buy.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
No, because unlike the boomer generation, I know that we actually have to pay for things we buy.

Not sure how that makes any sense. Paying for what we buy isn't the issue.
Funding everything under the sun that our legislature can dream up is the issue. This semi decriminalization thing is a good example. As JV noted its now legal but with zero regulation & no thought to what it will do. I expect very soon to start seeing new programs & bureaucracies invented for us to pay for once these people realize what they did. All the criminal networks will remain intact as will the violence associated with it, so current costs will stay the same except for the cost of prosecution of end users. But that will soon be offset by all the social aid we will end up giving to those who it will now be argued the state is enabling to use the drug. A better way would be to just legalize it, allow regulated controlled distribution & reasonable taxation of it. That would increase our state income without raising any taxes, free up much needed jail space, reduce prosecution costs and take a source of income out of the hands of criminals.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
All politicians depress me. Connecticut in general does not. I choose to live here and have the means to leave, should I desire. This legislative session will probably help push some of the whiners out of state (thank god), where they will just whine about the same old same old in their new location. Having lived in several different states, I can honestly say people are the same EVERYWHERE. For great examples, check out the message boards on this site with high transplant rates (Florida, et al). Same whiners, different state.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Not sure how that makes any sense. Paying for what we buy isn't the issue.
Funding everything under the sun that our legislature can dream up is the issue. This semi decriminalization thing is a good example. As JV noted its now legal but with zero regulation & no thought to what it will do. I expect very soon to start seeing new programs & bureaucracies invented for us to pay for once these people realize what they did. All the criminal networks will remain intact as will the violence associated with it, so current costs will stay the same except for the cost of prosecution of end users. But that will soon be offset by all the social aid we will end up giving to those who it will now be argued the state is enabling to use the drug. A better way would be to just legalize it, allow regulated controlled distribution & reasonable taxation of it. That would increase our state income without raising any taxes, free up much needed jail space, reduce prosecution costs and take a source of income out of the hands of criminals.
Sure, I understand what you're saying about the legislature spending too much. All I'm saying is that I don't feel the need to complain about every single damn tax that goes up. Running a society has costs. Greece takes it to an extreme, but so does Pakistan where hardly anyone pays taxes or receives services. At least it's not like the last couple of decades in which we spent and spent and spent, but continued to push taxes down. Now, when people see their taxes going up, they'll have to re-evaluate what services they can and can't live without.

All you old folks who think every little increase in taxes is life-or-death, quit your complaining because your kids are picking up most of the tab anyways. Thanks.

At least with this decriminalization bill, we can save money on prosecuting users, and we aren't economically crippling people for getting caught with some weed. We're not exactly the first state to decriminalize, so how can you say that no thought went into the decision? Many other states have already done it, so there's plenty of precedent and accumulated experience.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
All politicians depress me. Connecticut in general does not. I choose to live here and have the means to leave, should I desire. This legislative session will probably help push some of the whiners out of state (thank god), where they will just whine about the same old same old in their new location. Having lived in several different states, I can honestly say people are the same EVERYWHERE. For great examples, check out the message boards on this site with high transplant rates (Florida, et al). Same whiners, different state.

I'd love to have the whiners invade other forums.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Sure, I understand what you're saying about the legislature spending too much. All I'm saying is that I don't feel the need to complain about every single damn tax that goes up. Running a society has costs. Greece takes it to an extreme, but so does Pakistan where hardly anyone pays taxes or receives services. At least it's not like the last couple of decades in which we spent and spent and spent, but continued to push taxes down. Now, when people see their taxes going up, they'll have to re-evaluate what services they can and can't live without.

All you old folks who think every little increase in taxes is life-or-death, quit your complaining because your kids are picking up most of the tab anyways. Thanks.

At least with this decriminalization bill, we can save money on prosecuting users, and we aren't economically crippling people for getting caught with some weed. We're not exactly the first state to decriminalize, so how can you say that no thought went into the decision? Many other states have already done it, so there's plenty of precedent and accumulated experience.
The difference with our situation in CT right now is that the tax increases aren't "little." Combined they are massive and take a real life toll on what everyday expenses people can afford. People have legitimate complaints about this; they are not whining about a 0.5% tax hike on something negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut