U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,514,328 times

Advertisements

Quick trip to Stratford on business and wanted to stop by a beach on my way back to JFK (spending a night in the city). Which beach is considered to be the best? We are two adults just looking to relax. Scenery and cleanliness are our priorities.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM

20,282 posts, read 25,279,203 times
You might find it worth it to go to Silver Sands State Park in Milford. Just a couple miles east of Stratford. Parking is free, it's large, and it has a wonderful brand new ~mile-long boardwalk. Plus, you can walk out to Charles Island when the sandbar exposes during low tide.

Very cool park and very scenic/clean.

If you don't want to make the trip, you could do Sherwood Island, which is OK. You could also do Compo Beach in Westport, but it's very expensive (I believe it's $25 to park). IMO anything west of that is not worth it.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 28,542,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
You might find it worth it to go to Silver Sands State Park in Milford. Just a couple miles east of Stratford. Parking is free, it's large, and it has a wonderful brand new ~mile-long boardwalk. Plus, you can walk out to Charles Island when the sandbar exposes during low tide.

Very cool park and very scenic/clean.

If you don't want to make the trip, you could do Sherwood Island, which is OK. You could also do Compo Beach in Westport, but it's very expensive (I believe it's $25 to park). IMO anything west of that is not worth it.
I'm planning to hit that place this weekend Will bring pictures.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM

20,282 posts, read 25,279,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm planning to hit that place this weekend Will bring pictures.
Be sure to hit it at low tide and go out to the island.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM

30 posts, read 73,660 times
I'll first say that I live in Stratford so that is the beach I go to (nice enough for me, convenience and free to me as a resident). If you want a beach experience, I say go to Stratford Short Beach. It will be really convenient to your location and the fee is only $5-10 per car. Unlike Silver Sands in Milford, you park right at the sand at Short Beach. There isn't a boardwalk but why not walk in the sand (if you even want to walk) since you don't seem to have frequent access to the beach.

My personal preference is to drive past the playground, skateboard park, concessions, pavillions (Short Beach offers a lot) and go toward the other end of the beach.

Lay out, enjoy the view (same view as Silver Sands imho) and sun (wear sunscreen) and have a relaxing time. Let us know what you decided.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 28,542,687 times
So, fellas, is there a nude beach my camera can sneak into LMAO Just kidding

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM

576 posts, read 1,163,415 times
I like Ocean Beach- New London, CT

Got more things to do...

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 AM

80,382 posts, read 68,458,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
So, fellas, is there a nude beach my camera can sneak into LMAO Just kidding
Woman can go topless anywhere in CT...LMAO...Just wishing...I mean kidding.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM

754 posts, read 957,548 times
rocky neck? how is that beach?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:23 AM

10,831 posts, read 17,603,991 times
I just wanted to note that all the beaches from Milford to the Bronx, be they in CT or NY, are actually on the Long Island Sound, not the Atlantic Ocean. While there are many nice beaches in this stretch, the point I want to make is if you are looking for major waves, etc. they are more like "lagoon" or "lake" beaches than "ocean" ones. The further out in CT you go, the wider the Sound and the more "ocean-like" they will be (Rocky Neck sticks out to me in particular in this regard, but unlike Silver Sands, it would be a major deviation in your trip to JFK as it's considerably east).

For "ocean" beaches you'd either need to go out to RI or there are actually a few near JFK airport itself (though the better ones are further out onto Long Island's south shore). Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut