Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Yeah, a nightclub is fine. Somewhere you could hear a live band, or play pool, have a drink. I'm not a heavy drinker, so I'm not looking for a bar for one.
I've heard of meetup.com. Has anyone used it and been happy with it?

Just got a message from someone telling me that people in CT in nightclubs are not "clubbers" or social.
What is a "clubber" btw? Also, I see a few clubs in the area, where people really are not very friendly.
I'd mention one, but that would hurt its business. It's nice inside, it really is, but the bartenders certainly aren't friendly, nor would a single soul say hello to us, when we went in there. It's too bad, cuz the bands were good there too.
I'd probably not go back, unless I brought my own circle of friends.. a soda was $2.50 too! That's nuts! you could get a cheap beer for that in most clubs.

In general people don't go to nightclubs or bars to meet other people, unless they are single. People tend to go "clubbing" with their friends. If a strange couple walks up to them in a club or bar and is overly friendly, well, that isn't really the norm around here, which is probably why you perceive people as unfriendly. And bars up here in Ct. are not often the heavy-drinking places that bars are in the south---there are some very nice bars often with restaurants in Ct., you do not have to be a "heavy-drinker" to go to them. Some are pub-like, and you might find other people dropping in after work that you could chat with, too. As for Newcomer's clubs, read your local paper very carefully, often you will see ads placed in it. Or contact your town hall, they might be able to direct you. Or even try googling Newcomers Club and your town. What kind of hobbies do you have? You could definitely find a meetup in your area that you share interests with, I have found groups through meetup.com.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 07-03-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
well, how about Rhode Island? Are people friendly in the nightclubs there? I've not been to many bars where no one would speak to you, if they don't know you, but are you saying that seems to be the norm here? Maybe Mass clubs are friendlier? Mass isn't too far off, any good clubs in Agawan or east springfield?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I am not sure why you are fixated on making friends with people in bars and nightclubs.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:04 AM

well, lol, cuz people don't generally seem that friendly in any other setting aroun dhere anthenthere...
You go into the grocery stores, and not too many start up a conversation with you, or in a store, not to say no one does.
But just cuz they're chatting with you, doesn't mean they want to be your friend.

I'm often made good friends I've met in clubs. Nothing wrong with that, all my friends like music, and hanging out relaxing. Playing pool. Is that a problem up here in CT? No one like billiards, or live music?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I like music, but I am not expecting to make new friends at the Journey concert...

Connecticut is truly the "land of steady habits." This must be difficult for newcomers. Of my group of close friends I have been friends with all but two for over 20 years.

I have met new people at Meet Up groups which get a bunch of people with a common interest together for meeting and activities.

I have never met a friend in a bar or night club and the rare times I go, I go with my partner or friends... We don't really talk to anyone but eachother. When I lived in Austin, there was definitely more opportunity to meet new people in the clubs.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM

i'm not trying to be rude here, don't take offense mlassoff, but i can hardly believe that people, when they go out to clubs, don't talk to ANYONE they don't know!
CT people aren't that standoffish, now, are they??? I find that strange, as they're supposed to be an educated and a diverse group of people. Maybe if you were in a tiny town and someone new came to town, you might not be so friendly at first for safety reasons or something, but where you have towns with thousands of people, and no one says hello to strangers... wow, i find that odd, that's all.
well, haven't been in southern NE for quite awhile, maybe it's different that it used to be.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 PM

which website did you go to, to find the cover bands, CTgirl? Not having much luck googling.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
i'm not trying to be rude here, don't take offense mlassoff, but i can hardly believe that people, when they go out to clubs, don't talk to ANYONE they don't know!
Talk, yes, occasionally. Make friends and see again? Not in my experience.

I'm someone who eats dinner at hotel bars about 125 times a year... I'll talk to the other patrons at the bar. I don't get their home address.

Maybe its me...

Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM

10 posts, read 18,474 times
Quote:
CT people aren't that standoffish, now, are they??? I find that strange, as they're supposed to be an educated and a diverse group of people. Maybe if you were in a tiny town and someone new came to town, you might not be so friendly at first for safety reasons or something, but where you have towns with thousands of people, and no one says hello to strangers... wow, i find that odd, that's all.
well, haven't been in southern NE for quite awhile, maybe it's different that it used to be.
You may have more luck at some of the happy hour scenes, as opposed to late at night. Also might be a good idea to get involved in some sort of group...whether it be a church group, youth sports league, adult kickball league, etc.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:51 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
which website did you go to, to find the cover bands, CTgirl? Not having much luck googling.
Eeek, I can't remember the one I was telling you about. But I know some places I have gone to specifically to see cover bands are Rookies, Hungry Tiger (Manchester).

The site I found all the palces listed I do forget what it was - had something to do with CT events. Maybe ctnow.com?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut