Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:37 PM

243 posts, read 770,441 times

Advertisements

Oh my fault, I didn't know you were commuting to NYC. I would eliminate Trumbull then, it's a rough commute.

Go with Fairfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,761,066 times
Take a really hard look at what you get, and what you don't get, with the monstrous real estate tax bills in Trumbull. Honestly, you'll spend more for the house in Fairfield, but the difference in the tax bills between the 2 towns may pretty much make your true net cost a wash at the end of the day.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,743,517 times
Fairfield is the best option.

I'd say Milford 2nd if you find the Fairfield is too expensive, but you're adding about 10 minutes to the commute. That said, you can get a nice house within walking distance to the train station, which should make up for some lost time. The parking situation in Milford is marginally better, just because the paid parking is closer. Both stations have insanely long waiting lists (4-5 years) for permit parking. That reminds me, I have to apply for mine.

I wouldn't do Trumbull or Shelton, because the commute will be too long and they're too isolated for what you're looking for.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 PM

74 posts, read 151,756 times
There are nice sections of Black Rock that will have you closer to downtown Fairfield and Fairfield beaches than many places actually in Fairfield city limits

You will also be close to black rock turnpike shopping and the new train stop

Schools are a problem, so you have to weigh the cost of private school vs house savings

I chose black rock because I could be closer to the water than in Milford in a nicer house (even considering taxes). There are a ton of young families on my street and the next street over.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeport Rising View Post
I chose black rock because I could be closer to the water than in Milford in a nicer house (even considering taxes). There are a ton of young families on my street and the next street over.
Black Rock isn't necessarily cheaper than Milford to buy in terms of home prices, and not enough to make up for the astronomical taxes and cost of private schools. It's a good area for young renters, but I could never suggest buying there unless it was a small condo and no kids. Also, the waterfront there vs. Fairfield and Milford is different. Lots more sandy beaches in Milford and Fairfield. It's also not hard to live near the water in Milford for a reasonable price as the town has the most coastline of any town/city in CT (17 miles worth).

I'm not sure Bridgeport has as much of a potential for appreciation unless some SERIOUS changes happen with the city. Which could happen, but would take decades. Fairfield's taxes are way lower, it's safer, its schools are 1000% better, and there's more chance for appreciation as it's a desirable town.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-05-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Black Rock isn't necessarily cheaper than Milford to buy in terms of home prices, and not enough to make up for the astronomical taxes and cost of private schools. It's a good area for young renters, but I could never suggest buying there unless it was a small condo and no kids. Also, the waterfront there vs. Fairfield and Milford is different. Lots more sandy beaches in Milford and Fairfield.

I'm not sure Bridgeport has as much of a potential for appreciation unless some SERIOUS changes happen with the city. Which could happen, but would take decades.
I didnt buy for appreciation, but I would guess Black rock is one of the few areas that should at least have demand for housing due to proximity to new train. But, Im not really worried about that.

I didnt mean to imply that St Marys had better beaches than fairfield. I said you were closer to fairfield beaches (and shopping) than many that live in fairfield (city limits)

Jennings (5 minutes drive from black rock) is nicer than any beach in Milford (imo) and I like Milford beaches a lot. I was partial to Gulf, but many of my friends liked walnut (theyre all good, so it is a matter of opinion)

If I could have lived on Green St in Milford, I would probably choose that over Black Rock. But Black rock especially by the creek is a nice place to live

As I said, I see a lot of kids in my neighborhood, and Ive met their parents. Some own, some rent. Im just presenting an option

Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeport Rising View Post

Jennings (5 minutes drive from black rock) is nicer than any beach in Milford (imo) and I like Milford beaches a lot. I was partial to Gulf, but many of my friends liked walnut (theyre all good, so it is a matter of opinion)
It's not nicer than the private beach near us, but yes Jennings is very nice.

I like Sasco too since it's not as crowded.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 AM

^I used to really love to sit at fort trumbull beach. tiny, but that was my favorite spot

I miss walking there and walking to the green. walking ST Marys is very beautiful too as is most of coastal CT.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,411,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrlindy View Post
Jay -- so funny, our realtor actually grew up in Fairfield (prob why she hates it) and now lives in Stratford. I know Fairfield is more expensive, but I think we would sacrifice house size for quality of life and having things to do around town.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!!
I really dislike agents that put their personal preferences above what is best for their clients. They should not be working with people relocating to the area because they are steering them away from an area that may be best for them.

That said, Fairfield is a wonderful town. Most people consider it to be among the most desirable in the area. I would question any recommendations or information this agent gives you in the future because it could be slanted or biased. Again, it sounds like Fairfield may be a better option for you but Milford would be good too.

Milford does have some of the best shopping in the state since it has a major mall and tons of stores along Route 1. In Fairfield you may have to travel to Trumbull or Norwalk to shop for some major items. Fairfield does have a small park downtown named Sherman Green where many events happen. Civic events though take place on the historic Town Green on Old Post Road in front of the 200 year old Town Hall building. Also Fairfield has the Community Theater which shows second run, independent and old movies in a historic theater that has been the center of town for 80+ years. It really is a nice place. Jay

Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 AM

24 posts, read 62,875 times
Thank you, everyone!

I'm learning towards Fairfield now...bec of proximity to NYC, all the town has to offer and better schools. I'm ok travelling out of town to get to a Mall...actually I prefer not to have a mall in town.

FYI: Shelton and Trumbull we were really focused on Huntington part of Shelton, Nichols and Daniels Farms sections of Trumbull since they were easier commute to the train. But the Trumbull taxes are insane! Why are they so high - I feel even higher than Fairfield?

Milford -- still nervous about the school district, but starting to think it's not a bad option for us! And feeling better since someone said the people they knew who went there went on to good schools. I guess it all comes down to what you do in school and taking advantage of opportunities...you can be successful anywhere!

Thanks again for all your advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut