Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1r View Post
If anyone can post an example of a specific house for sale (found here: 4 Bedroom Milford Homes for Sale - Real Estate with 4 bedrooms in Milford, CT - Realtor.com®) that is in a decent to nice 'neighborhoodly' area (maybe a cul de sac, or just at least not a main road, or something where houses are too few and far between), that would be greatly appreciated.

Am thinking of taking a drive this afternoon and want to make sure I look at the right areas.

Thanks!
This is in one of my favorite areas of Milford, Gulf Street. Good neighborhood feel, people walking around constantly with their kids and dogs, near the beach, near downtown train, and lots of beautiful historic houses:

6 Anchorage Dr Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N312363 - Realtor.com®

Most of the other houses are in/around Lexington Green. Lexington is a fine neighborhood. It's in north Milford. Not the absolutely nicest part of north Milford, but there's nothing wrong with it.

None of the houses listed are in bad areas.

If you expand your price range just a little, you start to get some really interesting options. Remember, EVERYTHING is negotiable these days. Don't be afraid to make bids well under asking price.

Morningside is a gem of a neighborhood by the water. Great investment living there because I think its popularity and desirability will only grow:

42 Thompson Hill Rd Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N316668 - Realtor.com®

On the opposite side of town, Great River is a very well manicured area of upscale new homes. The surrounding area is real nice too:

7 Myrtlewood Dr Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N312148 - Realtor.com®

Another nice house in an area with some nice homes in north Milford:

An Unaddressed Milford, CT 06461 Home for Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N314076 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 PM

276 posts, read 588,770 times
Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately I didn't see it until we were already on our way home. We drove by a few houses in this area: 104 Juniper Dr Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N314372 - Realtor.com®

The houses looked fantastic, though property was a little small. Also, while the neighborhood itself was fantastic, getting to the neighborhood was a bit scary.

I'll take a look at the listings above though and drive by on my next visit (as we did like the shopping, etc. by the mall and route 1).

Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately I didn't see it until we were already on our way home. We drove by a few houses in this area: 104 Juniper Dr Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N314372 - Realtor.com®

The houses looked fantastic, though property was a little small. Also, while the neighborhood itself was fantastic, getting to the neighborhood was a bit scary.

I'll take a look at the listings above though and drive by on my next visit (as we did like the shopping, etc. by the mall and route 1).
How was it scary? Did you go up Oronoque Road? It's pretty industrial there. Not pretty, but far from scary.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Yes, it was Oronoque. We were a bit creaped out by the concrete(?) factory directly behind the Juniper Dr. neighborhood, as well as an old, crumbling barn(?) a bit down the road. I guess the weather was also starting to turn and it just wasn't a pleasant drive. Scary might be harsh, but we really didn't like it.

Are there other newish neighborhoods similar to the Juniper Dr. one?

Or am I better with an older neighborhood in which houses might have more property?

Thanks again.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 PM

Also, can you tell me more about the area that this house is in: 7 Myrtlewood Dr Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N312148 - Realtor.com®

And how about this area: 208 Roses Mill Rd Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #98496602 - Realtor.com®

Thanks again!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was Oronoque. We were a bit creaped out by the concrete(?) factory directly behind the Juniper Dr. neighborhood, as well as an old, crumbling barn(?) a bit down the road. I guess the weather was also starting to turn and it just wasn't a pleasant drive. Scary might be harsh, but we really didn't like it.

Are there other newish neighborhoods similar to the Juniper Dr. one?

Or am I better with an older neighborhood in which houses might have more property?

Thanks again.
Honestly, if you lived in that area you probably wouldn't be going along Oronoque. There's routes to the Merritt, downtown and 95 that don't go through there and go through residential neighborhoods. Either way, that's the most industrial part of Milford there, which is one of the only things I don't love about the Lexington Green spot - its proximity to all that.

Old run-down barns are something you see even in the nicest areas of CT. Nothing to worry about.

How much property are you looking for, or are you just looking for privacy/isolation from neighbors?

North Milford has the biggest lots in town. Closer to the shore, the lots are smaller. I actually prefer closer to the shore/downtown - I think it's a better representation of quintessential Milford with more historic and coastal character, but the north is nice. It's just similar to a lot of other CT suburbs.

Areas with big lots and isolation include the area roughly around the Merritt - Wolf Harbor Rd, West River, Wheelers Farm, Great River Estates. That general area. Really nice there.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Gotcha. I noticed on google maps that there were plenty of other ways to go, but Oronoque is what my gps used...

In doing more research, I'm probably looking to get closer to .4 or .5 acres, rather than 1/4 acre, which seemed to be what the Juniper area had. You can see how little land there is (this is a picture around the corner from the one on Juniper as it's a better representation of the whole neighborhood):
).

I like the plot of this one better: 7 Myrtlewood Dr Milford CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #N312148 - Realtor.com®, and it happens to be in Great River Estates which you mentioned. To me, these houses have a more 'normal' amount of yard:

So we don't need total privacy/isolation, but would like a little more room than 1/4 acre provides. Aside from lack of privacy, many of the homes were just so close to the street, and barely had enough room on the driveway to fit one car deep, certainly not enough for 2 (as you can see in the first photo above). They really had so little yard I couldn't even picture having a simple baseball catch w/o feeling crammed...

In summary, I don't need a big lot with total isolation, just a bit more space than 1/4 acre (or less) provides.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM

The Myrtlewood house is in Great River, which is a really nice area. Typical upscale Connecticut suburban development. Really nice houses with decent lots and big yards. That would be a good investment for the future. If you can afford it, it would be a great choice. Don't be afraid to make a low-ish offer. It's nice that it doesn't need any updating and is quality construction.

The other one I'm not so familiar with. It should be a nice area though and is convenient. That said, you might get a little noise from 95. Won't be terrible, but something to consider. It's also good to park yourself in the neighborhood at night and just listen.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Semi-busy road. Many people like to use it to get to Indian River in Orange. I'd pass because of this.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Semi-busy road. Many people like to use it to get to Indian River in Orange. I'd pass because of this.
Thanks. In looking closer you are absolutely correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut