Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 17,826 times

Advertisements

Okay, I should preface this by saying I'm not even sure if we'll end up in Glastonbury, but we should be somewhere around that area. We're relocating from the Philly suburbs. My daughter will start Kindergarten in the fall and my son (4) will be old enough for Pre-K. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm hoping for a place that is truly a preschool and not daycare.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Unfortunately most are tied to a daycare center which does not make them bad. I have heard many good things said about Great Beginnings which is a true pre-K program. I know people will come from all over town to go there. Friends brought their kids there from the other side of town. She is very fussy so I am sure it is good. Jay

Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Any quality daycare such as Bright Horizon's has a "real pre-k" program, I can assure you.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
Marlborough Cooperative Nursery School is a great school but they expect parents to be involved since it is a co-op.

Welcome - MCNS

Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 40,092 times
I can agree that great beginnings in glastonbury is fantastic! my daughter did 2 yrs there and I can't say enough great things about the owner/teacher! small class size and awesome teacher!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Just to clarify, I have nothing against daycare - sent both my kids to daycare until recently I lost my job (and am now relocating anyway). I still sent them there for preschool 1/2 days and sometimes they'd do a lot of movie days since they still had the whole day to do other things. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,572,077 times
We were very happy with the pre-K program at Bright Horizons (village place) in Glastonbury. When our oldest started kindergarten last fall he could already read short stories and could write quite a few sight words. No complaints here...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
We were very happy with the pre-K program at Bright Horizons (village place) in Glastonbury. When our oldest started kindergarten last fall he could already read short stories and could write quite a few sight words. No complaints here...

Village is about to get more crowded (With the staff and teachers to accommodate) as they have decided to close my wife's center - Somerset, and transfer who is willing to Village. Seems most of the families are going over as the mindset seems to be that they love BH and the teachers and management over at Somerset.

Village was originally built to replace Somerset, but my wife is so freakin good at what she does, they couldn't make a case to close it util extreme circumstances took over.

What sucks is just about everyone is able to transfer, except our family. My son's have friends there since they were 12 weeks old.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM

I stumbled upon Somerset today and they told me about the consolidation. Why isn't your family able to transfer? Thank you everyone so much for your recommendations. Of course, I still have no idea where we'll LIVE, but at least I have an idea where I can send my son to preschool!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLaura View Post
I stumbled upon Somerset today and they told me about the consolidation. Why isn't your family able to transfer? Thank you everyone so much for your recommendations. Of course, I still have no idea where we'll LIVE, but at least I have an idea where I can send my son to preschool!
Because she is taking over another center...no need for two directors in Village Place. It could be worse, she could have been laid off...but she has value in the company so they wanted her to stay.

You'll love it there though, don't worry.

BTW, I think you met my wife today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut