Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 AM

83 posts, read 226,507 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

So I made it into medical school and I'll be shipping out halfway across the country in a few months. No more ambulance work for me!

I wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to button up our house for our long absence. We will be gone for probably 8 months at a time. This is our first home (which we are definitely going to keep!), and I'm a little fuzzy on some of the stuff I need to do. Make sure the heat is on in the winter (50 ish?), turn off the water supply, light timers, family to visit the house periodically, shades down, etc, etc. Can anyone here give me some pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I've got no advice but I'm sending you HUGE congratulations on getting into med school! I'm thrilled for you!!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I'll add to that. Great work.

I am curious, however, why are you keeping the home? My ex thought the same when he started Tulane medical school. Had to sell after three years of paying taxes, fees, etc, on a house he never stepped foot in.

He never came back either. Hence the word "ex"

Good luck in whatever you do! Wrap the pipes if decide to winterize.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am curious, however, why are you keeping the home?
Couple reasons. We really like the place and don't want to sell, the wife needs to live in this house next year (she's coming with me for the 1st year), we're both going to be here next summer, I'll be back in the area for 3rd and 4th year for rotations, we got the $8k tax benefit and would have to pay back a portion if we sold this soon, and the market is down. There are other smaller reasons but those are the big ones.

Wrap the pipes? Which ones? Isn't it enough to just keep the heat on low?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford Medic View Post
Thanks guys!

Couple reasons. We really like the place and don't want to sell, the wife needs to live in this house next year (she's coming with me for the 1st year), we're both going to be here next summer, I'll be back in the area for 3rd and 4th year for rotations, we got the $8k tax benefit and would have to pay back a portion if we sold this soon, and the market is down. There are other smaller reasons but those are the big ones.

Wrap the pipes? Which ones? Isn't it enough to just keep the heat on low?
Oh that makes perfect sense!

Re: The pipes. I really haven't a clue. I am just repeating stuff my father told me. I think probably 99% of the posters are more qualified than me to talk about home ownership stuff.

If you have a questions about computer science, Judaism, or dating Asian men, please let me know. I can help.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM

21,721 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Is it sewer or well water? When foreclosed homes are stored for the winter, there's a specific procedure they use to keep it from damage. I believe the heat, water and electricity is completely disconnected and any openings where animals can get in are sealed off. All pipes are drained of every last bit of water.

If you keep the house warm, you could get animals in it.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
Not only wrap pipes- but if you have oil steam or oil hot water baseboard heat have plumber come in and drain/winterize pipes. Never know what winter will bring. Storms could cut off power for days or a week or more. Also helps in case home is vandalized while you are gone- unless you have someone come by to check on the place daily. But if they are only stopping by once a week or every couple of weeks, play if safe. Keep heat on low even if you have house winterized. Keeps condensation from forming on the interior with resultant mold growth.

Also, make sure yard is kept mowed, leaves removed, etc. Have walks and driveway cleared of snow in winter. Use programmable timers for lights set to come on and off at different times in different rooms. Don't pull your shades/ curtains all the way down.

Nothing says no one at home more than a home all closed up, with an untidy lawn and the snow drifts piling up.

If you have a neighbor you are friendly with , leave him or her phone numbers where you and local family can be reached in an emergency.

Good luck at school.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you have a questions about computer science, Judaism, or dating Asian men, please let me know. I can help.
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Thank you for the laugh -- I really needed that!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM

The house has an oil-fired furnace and a forced hot air system, so no water circulating through the house other than what goes to the taps/toilets/showers. It is city water and sewer. We were planning on shutting off the hot water heater and also the main water feed to the house, but keeping the electricity and heat (set low) on. Definitely timers for the lights and the lawn will be mowed/snow shoveled (we're required by the town to do that anyhow).

Definitely a good idea about the neighbors. Someone from town also told me that the local police department has a "vacant house" form that you can fill out so it is on their radar. Anything else?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,166 times
If it is a worry for you, while being gone that long even with landscaping kept up and timers for lights it's still pretty easy for someone unscrupulous to know that the house is empty. Probally not a bad idea to have the times on the timers changed every great once in a while. Also, if anyone you know has an extra car leaving it in the drive every once in a while helps. Anything REALLY valuable to you, I'd not leave it there in the home. take it with, or put in a safety deposit box. Even if you have something as secure as a wall safe, once someone knows the place is empty for awhile they know they have all the time in the world to cut it out.

In my VERY quiet and normally crime free NW corner one of the more successful criminal "enterprises" was totally emptying out many of the NYers second homes in these rural areas. If it wasn't big enough to require a caretaker it was too easy for them as it's so easy to know which homes are not occupied much of the time. They would prey on those, using some kind of saw, probally sawzall type or maybe a queiter chainsaw, big enough for a box truck, pull the truck right up through the hole and empty the entire contents of the 1-20 million dollar house.

Not saying you should worry about anything like that. just saying make sure your home is TRUELY secure and that you leave nothing behind unsecure that you REALLY don't want to lose.

And congrats on school !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: