Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 50,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhand11 View Post
Thank you Lintu - from what I can tell, Ridgefield and New Milton both have town centers that sound like what I would want - but does Danbury? I haven't been able to find any homes there that are described as being near the center of town . . .
Redhand11, If you use a combination of Realtor.com and Raveis.com, you should make out really well.

Realtor will give you the detailed information on the house amenities, along with the surrounding area attractions, comments, and pertinent details...

The Raveis site is not very detailed, but it has been my best source for photographs. Many sites typically provide 6, while raveis ususally has photos that others neglect to post to give you a good feel for your home selection...

Good Luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 67,754 times
I'm leaning toward Ridefield now, but we'll see how the house-hunting goes in person. Thank you for all the input everyone, I appreciate your time.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmoses View Post
Hey Redhand11,

I am looking to relocate to that area as well. I have been focusing my search within a 10 mile radius of Danbury. Good Luck in your move, there are some truly some beautiful areas and properties...

All,

My price range is quite modest at ~300-350K, yet I have been able to find some great homes in the New Milford area. How is the atmosphere, the schools, etc. Is there a reason why the homes are inexpensive in the New Milford Area?

How is Brookfield, New Fairfield, Monroe, Bethel, Southbury in terms of homes, education, overall appeal, quality of living, etc? Is there a clear superior/better area, are some areas more rural than others?

I apologize for so many questions Redhand, but the responses you have received to your post have been beneficial to me as well...

I wouldnt NOT consider homes in the New Milford area to be "inexpensive". You would need to visit the local neighborhoods to see what you get for the 300-350K homes. Typically, it's a raised ranch in an older (35-55 years old) community on say 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots. Normally 3 br, 1 or 1.5 bath with attached 1 and 2 car gar. Generally, you would be getting into a fairly well maintained home with a well and septic. Consider yourself lucky if the septic was recently done again or new siding/windows or roof installed.
The past 6 to 8 years has seen NM gain many developments with 4 br-2.5 bath & 3 car gar priced upper 400 to 600K. But these homes have more character than the mid 300 priced homes. To get under the 300K price, you will find yourself in a townhouse or condo.
All the town you mention have their own flair, would not be fair to comment either way if one would be "better". In the general Danbury area, basically the points north of Danbury tend to become more rural and the prices of homes are more affordable. This concept does not apply to all cases, as you could purchase a home in a crack neighborhood in Danbury or buy a multi million dollar home/estate well north of Danbury in Kent, Warren, Washington, Morris etc..
One thing I can say for sure, when you visit you WILL be impressed with what the area has to offer and how all those towns are unique and special.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
i am looking to relocate back to ct in April, we are looking for a 55 community near Danbury Ct, I am still working in either pest control or cooking, what is around this area, we would like to find a small town if possible thanks don

Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald northup View Post
i am looking to relocate back to ct in April, we are looking for a 55 community near Danbury Ct, I am still working in either pest control or cooking, what is around this area, we would like to find a small town if possible thanks don
Don - This thread is over 5 years old so you might want to consider starting a new thread. Still I will answer your question. There are many 55+ communities in the Danbury area. Which one to look at depends on your budget and the type of community you would like to live in. The Oxford/Southbury area has a number of them as does Danbury itself. Another less expensive but more rural area could be New Milford. More information would help us help you. Jay

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhand11 View Post
Hi,
I am considering a job in Danbury so we just started working with a realtor on looking for a house to buy. Where would you recommend we look, based on the following preferences? I've been told our best bets are New Milford, Bethel and Ridgefield, possibly Redding. I'd value any input, thank you.

1. Want to live within walking distance of or in a village/town - i.e., a quaint Main Street type of feel with a library, a few shops and restaurants, town square, etc. Prefer to drive only when necessary.
2. Want to buy an older, not huge house - something colonial, or at least not built after the 1960s, less than 3000 sq. feet, and in a diverse area (not a subdivision where many houses look similar).
3. No need for a large amount of land - a small yard would be great - or a garage.
4. No more than 15 miles any direction from Danbury.
5. ETA want to spend about $700k tops for 3bd/2ba.

Also, are there certain commutes into Danbury that are worse than others - i.e., is it best to stay away from 84?

I'd value any input, thank you.
I'm no longer in the area, but when I was, New Preston was my fave.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald northup View Post
It depends on your budget. There are quite a few in Oxford, but they are pricey and it is a very woodsy town (as is Newtown), so you will have to travel 10 or so minutes for amenities. As you can see, 55+ apartments/condos/homes are not cheap in the area.

Here are some of them in the Danbury area from this website: http://www.activeadultliving.com/CT/connecticut

BrookfieldNewtownNew MilfordOxford Ridgefield Southbury

Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
$700k! Yikes

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
$700k! Yikes
That's expensive, even for Ridgefield IMO.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Yeah, like pre-recession prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut