Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times

Advertisements

Given the circumstances I think it a light sentence. But I dont see how or why it should matter if its a cop or anybody else. If anything a person who intentionally takes on a profession in law enforcement should just consider it an occupational hazzard. IMO its a much more horrendous crime to shoot an innocent person minding their own business than it is when the person is trying to catch you & lock you up. Like its worse when civilians are killed in battle than it is when a soldier dies.

This quote says alot & is just one more reason I dislike municipal unions. A policemans life is worth no more than anyone elses and the idea that there is NEVER a reason to defend yourself against a person simply because they happen to be employed as a police officer is absurd. It bears noting that they are not charged with keeping our communities safe, rather they are charged with solving crimes & catching criminals specifically because our communities are not always safe. Its a common misconception that police are here to protect us. They might even like that to be true, but its not. If it were I think it would be justified to disband them given the crime rates in some of our cities.

There is no need nor reason to denounce actions against police any louder than actions against the rest of us, IMHO it should be the other way around.

Quote:
"Even though there are inherent dangers in police work, any act of violence towards a member of the law enforcement community cannot and should not be tolerated," Holton told the judge. "When an individual displays violent behavior towards the very individuals who are charged with keeping our communities safe, we as a society must take a stand and denounce these actions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 PM

713 posts, read 759,802 times
First of all, he pleaded, so the sentence should not be as harsh as going to trail and being found guilty.

I hate criminals, but I think 20 years is actually pretty long time for just shooting someone.

The guy who killed jasper howard got 18 years, after pleading, but a life was lost there. So, how do you tell me the cop shooter got off easy?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM

455 posts, read 633,096 times
20 yrs is very significant for a 19 yo, in this age of modern technology they should be using less police, they are only a phone call away.Too many people have a love affair with cops, all the "xx Finest" bull****.I never needed one and wish they would go away!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
20 yrs is very significant for a 19 yo, in this age of modern technology they should be using less police, they are only a phone call away.Too many people have a love affair with cops, all the "xx Finest" bull****.I never needed one and wish they would go away!
Brilliant post

Just because you don't like or need them they should "go away"? Genius...

Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM

457 posts, read 905,016 times
I don't know if 20 years is appropriate in this case. However, the cop who shot Oscar Grant, while he was handcuffed, in the back, got 2 years.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I don't know if 20 years is appropriate in this case. However, the cop who shot Oscar Grant, while he was handcuffed, in the back, got 2 years.

Ridiculous...anyone shooting anyone IN THE BACK and WHILE handcuffed should be life. My feeling on sentencing regarding crimes against cops or BY cops... It should either be JUST THE SAME as if it was any other citizen... OR if crimes against LO are going to receive harsher penalties than crimes against average citizens then crimes perpetrated BY LO should ALSO BE harsher, as they also then have a HIGHER standards to live up to than average citizens that have not taken an oath.

Just my feelings.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut