Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I agree. Downtown New Haven has wealthy students walking around it at all times of day. Yale wouldn't have a 13% acceptance rate if that area was dangerous. It's kept very safe.

The "4th most dangerous" statistic is fodder for irrational paranoia, period. It should only send one message to visitors and people looking to live in New Haven - stay out of the bad areas you have no business being in anyway.

In comparison, West Hartford is just a few blocks from some REALLY nasty parts of Hartford.
yes...don't remind me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
yes...don't remind me!
Just in case you read it that way, that wasn't a dig on WH, it's a great place. But so are parts of NH.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Just in case you read it that way, that wasn't a dig on WH, it's a great place. But so are parts of NH.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there are two New Haven's - just like there are 2 New Britain's. One is a nice, suburban enclave with nice old houses and trimmed lawns and tree-lined streets... and the other is THE HOOD.

Memo to the OP, mkiv is right about how quickly it shifts when you go from WH into Hartford. Just drive down Albany Avenue and you will see what I mean. Even at the start of it in Hartford's west end there's little indication that you're so close to an area that's totally opposite.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 PM

There's definitely 2 New Havens, but the nice New Haven isn't all suburban in character. Downtown and Wooster Square are decidedly urban.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
There's definitely 2 New Havens, but the nice New Haven isn't all suburban in character. Downtown and Wooster Square are decidedly urban.
True. It's just that the nicer parts of NH that I've seen are more suburban. I'm sure there are safe areas that are more densely populated and citylike like you described.

PS, I would also add Bridegport to that list where it's a tale of two cities. Back in May I drove with a friend down to the Fairfield train station to head into New York for the day. We drove off the Merritt Parkway and onto Bridgeport's Main Street southbound and the drove through the Stratfield area before getting to the station, and I couldn't believe how nice most of it is. I realize some parts are horrible, but driving through there, I remember thinking "this is big, bad Bridgeport?"

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM

You probably crossed into Fairfield. If you keep going south on Main Street it gets significantly more seedy.

The problem with Bridgeport is - while it has some nice suburbs in the north and the arena area - it totally lacks the amenities and culture that New Haven has.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You probably crossed into Fairfield. If you keep going south on Main Street it gets significantly more seedy.

The problem with Bridgeport is - while it has some nice suburbs in the north and the arena area - it totally lacks the amenities and culture that New Haven has.
We actually stayed on Main for a while, and you're right it DID start to get seedy the further south we went, but it still didn't seem that bad. We were on it till we picked up route 1 then took that to the train station. You familiar with that area? Once we got off Main and headed west it got nice again but I still think we were in B-port.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
We actually stayed on Main for a while, and you're right it DID start to get seedy the further south we went, but it still didn't seem that bad. We were on it till we picked up route 1 then took that to the train station. You familiar with that area? Once we got off Main and headed west it got nice again but I still think we were in B-port.
Yes, but you're not in Bridgeport for long on Route 1. If you went south of 1, it'd get less attractive. But it's still not the worst part of Bridgeport. If you went east, that's when it gets a little scary and really rundown.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Main Street even going south isn't toooooo bad. It's CT/Stratford Ave and Pequonnock, those are the downright scary areas. North Ave, which sounds like what you were on, cuts through the West End which is a pretty working class and actually decent looking area. That turns into Fairfield in Tunxis.

~Hope that cleared it up a little bit.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,720 times
It kind of worries me that EVERY city being mentioned always turns back to "hood" and "ghetto." Didn't think Conn was the Bronx.

As for West Hartford, it sounds like this has fun restaurants/bars etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut