Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times

Advertisements

I'm at Dunkin Donuts everyday...nobody notices me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm at Dunkin Donuts everyday...nobody notices me.
You a cop???

Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I think they just always go there because it's free. I don't know if it's unwritten code, but every week when I go to Dunkin in Greenwich I see cops come in, not order anything, and just get handed a free coffee. I'd be there all the time too if I never had to pay! I have never seen a cop eating a donut before, though.
So it's a pan-connecticut phenomenon

What's with the status, amicus, you leaving CT already

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You a cop???
Thats my point... anyone & everyone goes ... so why do people always bring up cops being there.. Are they not allowed get a cup of coffee and some donuts? And I'm sure they prefer DD than to coffee at a gas station or McDonalds

Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM

24 posts, read 60,211 times
Funny, well treaded stereotype, but I never see cops at the donut shops.

I think they go home to Aunt Bea's for lunch.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
One of the more humorous bumper stickers i have seen:

Bad Cop. No Donut.

( I think they get free stuff everywhere. It is sort of like a miniature shake down. You don't feed me; i forget your address (or take time to finish my donut from the Krispey Kreme!) when you have a police need.)

Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM

241 posts, read 543,111 times
This is not just a Connecticut thing. My old neighborhood in Chicago was exactly the same way, with cops frequently at the Dunkin Donuts. It is often one of the few stores open 24 hours for coffee and a snack. I also see ambulances and the occasional fire vehicle stop at my local Dunkin Donuts in CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I think they get free stuff everywhere. It is sort of like a miniature shake down.
My (uninformed) guess is that a lot of businesses consider this a very fair exchange for enhanced security, not a shake down. Dunkin Donuts are often magnets for homeless/semi-homeless in areas where this is an issue (again because they are open late). Having some police around is almost guaranteed to increase the number of customers who feel comfortable coming into the store in these areas. It certainly has in my case.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:18 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
I think the reason the many people (not just police) go to Dunkin Donuts is the quality of the products served and the price. If you do not want to pay $$$ for a fancy-named cup of coffee at that upscale coffee chain, you are best to go to DD. Their quality is also very uniform across the country. You can get the same coffee and donuts at a DD in Connecticut or Chicago or wherever. I frequent a couple of local shops for breakfast but on occasion I do stop at DD. Jay

Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think the reason the many people (not just police) go to Dunkin Donuts is the quality of the products served and the price. If you do not want to pay $$$ for a fancy-named cup of coffee at that upscale coffee chain, you are best to go to DD. Their quality is also very uniform across the country. You can get the same coffee and donuts at a DD in Connecticut or Chicago or wherever. I frequent a couple of local shops for breakfast but on occasion I do stop at DD. Jay
i worked with a lot of people in the past that always bought a cup of DD in the morning. it was pretty well known that DD coffee was pretty good. the pastries aren't bad either.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thats my point... anyone & everyone goes ... so why do people always bring up cops being there.. Are they not allowed get a cup of coffee and some donuts? And I'm sure they prefer DD than to coffee at a gas station or McDonalds

Most people dont get to go when theyre on the clock. Least no job I ever had would let me just stop working, hop into a company vehicle & go grab a coffee at will. That said I dont notice an inordinate amount of them at DD. I think it might be a convenient place to stop & do paperwork, keep in touch with the neighborhood, things like that. I'd like to see less cop cars & more foot patrols myself for that reason. Lets the people feel like the police are friends & helps keep the police reminded that theyre just civilians that work for the city or town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut