Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times

Advertisements

They could not build over the entire lot because that means they would have to close it to build the garage. Where would people park while it was under construciton? Plus it still would be a massive structure like South Norwalk which no one (except maybe you) wanted. It would be completely out of character. As for a garage at Fairfield Metro, it is possible one day that will happen as it is possible for a more modest garage at Fairfield Center. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,148,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
You realize we live in a 3 dimensional world right? Why couldn't the garage be long, wide, and 3 or 4 stories tall. Did we really need 4 yoga studios, ANOTHER indoor fieldhouse, and a climbing wall?\

And what's your pre-canned excuse for not building one at the new station? With all the money that CROOK Flatto dumped into this fiasco, we couldn't get a parking garage?

This problem still exists, and is still just as bad. I am 2000 spots down from a pass, which basically means NEVER, and I've been in this town 3 years. The fact that the MTA had the balls to put an ad in the paper that suggests you could avoid the wait list at the new station, and the fact that those hacks at the minuteman would post that...just a joke.

But you guys keep taking it on the chin.
Do you ever stop complaining? Downtown retail is a huge contributor to the grand list, not just that but the set up and density makes it a destination, increasing housing values of the whole town. Parking garages (considering it'd likely be a Pro-park) offer way less tax returns per square foot than locally owned retail, office, and residential. Besides the new train station has been in the works for over two decades, and is a much needed connection for both Tunxis, Grassmere, Black Rock, and eventually the West End. I got my offer to switch my parking pass spot to Metro (horrible name I think, would have preferred Black Rock). The Sports complex is a net positive for town, enhancing tax rolls and giving a destination (plus, god forbid, giving kids more options than just causing trouble) so there are spots opening up. The final blow to your argument is that the town would've had to tear down the downtown station if it wanted to put in a garage, because it is nowhere near ADA compliant, and the new station is a way to keep on doing minor and even major work while keeping the old station grandfathered in.

Furthermore, on of the biggest reason for the cost overages to the town had to deal with the delay some citizens put on the Town, in the meantime the private partner folded as TD Bank took their lines of credit mostly because the delays. A lot of people in town wanted this train station, particularly around the Eastern Half of town (which is where the majority of the residents, and most of the grand list receipts) are. Flatto might not have been perfect but it was Metsopolous that got the ball rolling with the state to put it in Fairfield instead of somewhere else on the line. Now if the town can capitalize smartly (aka zoning all class office and retail, maybe even some residential on the property and near it) the process will be a huge benefit for the community.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 AM

JayCT,

I completely forgot, was there ever a plan to do a underground garage like at the Brickwalk for the Center Train Station or is that something I made up in my head?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM

209 posts, read 606,206 times
I'm sorry but yes we do need another stop in fairfield; there are an INSANE amount of people that train out of this area. Parking in downtown fairfield is a nightmare and I'm so over it. I am grateful for another place to get on because I can walk here and don't have to deal with the cluster f*(ck of parking in downtown. I have been waiting for this metro center to open for the past year and a half. There are so many people that commute from Fairfield and south that this is long over due.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 AM

462 posts, read 734,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Do you ever stop complaining? Downtown retail is a huge contributor to the grand list, not just that but the set up and density makes it a destination, increasing housing values of the whole town. Parking garages (considering it'd likely be a Pro-park) offer way less tax returns per square foot than locally owned retail, office, and residential. Besides the new train station has been in the works for over two decades, and is a much needed connection for both Tunxis, Grassmere, Black Rock, and eventually the West End. I got my offer to switch my parking pass spot to Metro (horrible name I think, would have preferred Black Rock). The Sports complex is a net positive for town, enhancing tax rolls and giving a destination (plus, god forbid, giving kids more options than just causing trouble) so there are spots opening up. The final blow to your argument is that the town would've had to tear down the downtown station if it wanted to put in a garage, because it is nowhere near ADA compliant, and the new station is a way to keep on doing minor and even major work while keeping the old station grandfathered in.

Furthermore, on of the biggest reason for the cost overages to the town had to deal with the delay some citizens put on the Town, in the meantime the private partner folded as TD Bank took their lines of credit mostly because the delays. A lot of people in town wanted this train station, particularly around the Eastern Half of town (which is where the majority of the residents, and most of the grand list receipts) are. Flatto might not have been perfect but it was Metsopolous that got the ball rolling with the state to put it in Fairfield instead of somewhere else on the line. Now if the town can capitalize smartly (aka zoning all class office and retail, maybe even some residential on the property and near it) the process will be a huge benefit for the community.

As long as the problem persists, and people ignore it, I will not stop complaining. A parking garage at the new station would have solved the problem. Instead they just gave most of the spots to the same people that already had them, and took 500 names off a list of 4000. That's like you going to a doctor with a gunshot wound, him only stitching up 1/5 of it, and telling you, well, that's better than nothing. F that. I demand better. YOU have nothing to complain about, because you have a pass already. JayCT has nothing to complain about, because he doesn't ride the train, or even LIVE in fairfield.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
As long as the problem persists, and people ignore it, I will not stop complaining. A parking garage at the new station would have solved the problem. Instead they just gave most of the spots to the same people that already had them, and took 500 names off a list of 4000. That's like you going to a doctor with a gunshot wound, him only stitching up 1/5 of it, and telling you, well, that's better than nothing. F that. I demand better. YOU have nothing to complain about, because you have a pass already. JayCT has nothing to complain about, because he doesn't ride the train, or even LIVE in fairfield.
A parking garage in the Center would've meant the entire station would have had to be shut down. There was no way around that. Besides, not many in Fairfield wanted a commuter garage in town, they wanted the new station.

I will say that I too thought it would've been a good idea to build a garage at the new station from the get go but that's apparently in the cards still, as there's still a lot of property unused.

BTW I gave up my spot for a parking pass, wouldn't need it anymore. You're one closer to getting yours haha.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
A parking garage in the Center would've meant the entire station would have had to be shut down. There was no way around that. Besides, not many in Fairfield wanted a commuter garage in town, they wanted the new station.

I will say that I too thought it would've been a good idea to build a garage at the new station from the get go but that's apparently in the cards still, as there's still a lot of property unused.

BTW I gave up my spot for a parking pass, wouldn't need it anymore. You're one closer to getting yours haha.
I'll be long done with commuting to NYC before I get a pass. I also noticed quite a bit of street parking on my way over there. I'll probably be doing that, like I did when I rode the train out of East Norwalk.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 AM

209 posts, read 606,206 times
I was told by Fusco management who manages the parking at the new metro center that Fairfield PD will be policing the residential streets on the fairfield side of the station to make sure that commuters don't park there.

Last edited by surfsnowgirl; 12-05-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

588 posts, read 1,866,390 times
Quote:
It's a lot more than 500 names off the list. As I've said a few times, I was about 1800 spots away from a permit (after almost 5 years), and I got my letter about 6 or so weeks ago. So they are burning through a lot more than 500 names. Fortunately I'm no longer stuck commuting on the train, so that's 1 less person you have to worry about. And no, I didn't opt to take a permit and hold it just in case... I will, however, go back on the bottom of the list in case my job situation changes in a few years and I end up commuting again.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
I was told by Fusco management who manages the parking at the new metro center that Fairfield PD will be policing the residential streets on the fairfield side of the station to make sure that commuters don't park there.
Policing it by doing what exactly? There are no no-parking signs there. They can't just give tickets out because they feel like it. You got told what's called a "go away story".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut