Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

588 posts, read 1,879,410 times

Advertisements

According to the latest mini flyer left on my seat, the Fairfield Metro Station will be opening on or about (I would say closer to about ) October 16, 2011.

There is an open hearing scheduled at the MTA on Madison Ave in NYC regarding proposed fares, which will match fares at the existing Fairfield station as of the date of the new station opening.

Wonder when the parking lot will open... it'll be very annoying to not have parking day 1. And to get all of those permits sent out and paid for ahead time, they will need to start notifying people soon. Also, looks like they will be giving all current permit holders the option of moving to the new station, which will currently cost you... something. http://www.fairfieldct.org/documents...mitHolders.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM

462 posts, read 740,504 times
As long as they run expresses, or start the trains that used to originate at Fairfield there instead. Also, the name Fairfield Metro is completely ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM

35,343 posts, read 57,589,078 times
I was just by there today and wow are things moving along. The station itself is done but the parking lot and access road are still being worked on. The faux stone walls off Black Rock Turnpike are very nice. I am not sure if the parking lot will be ready by October 16th but if not it will certainly be not long after that. As for the parking, the state is going to run the parking lot so it is up to them to set the rates and offer parking passes. Hopefully that will be soon. It should help open up spaces in Fairfield center though. Jay

Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,960,601 times
Id wish they call it the Black Rock Turnpike....instead of the Cheesy Fairfield metro center.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 AM

588 posts, read 1,879,410 times
Just spoke with a very nice woman at the Fairfield Parking Authority. She confirmed the state is running the parking at the new station (Fairfield will continue to run parking at the current 2 stations), and has sent a notice to all current Fairfield and Southport permit holders that they can opt to get a sticker at the new station if they want, or remain at their current station. After their deadline passes, the state will then start in on the wait list at Fairfield station (not sure if they are going to combine it with the waitlist for Southport) for permits at the new station. And then, once that is done, any permits that have opened up in current stations in Fairfield or Southport will be released to the wait list, probably for January 1.

For anyone else waiting, the last permit issued was for waitlist # 17427, which was requested February 2005. I put in my request 2 years later, and am about 1600 people down the waitlist... so I'm not holding my breath for a spot at the new station. If you put your request in even more recently, there are almost 2500 people waiting after me.

The schedule is still pending, but it looks like they may add Fairfield Metro (yes, should be called Black Rock Station or something like that) to all trains that stop in current Fairfield station, adding about 3 minutes to the timing for each train. No info yet out of Metro North on whether or not current Fairfield will be more of a local station like Southport or will continue to be a large express stop.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM

I wonder if they will back up the AM trains that originate at Fairfield now (like the 6:43) to Fairfield Metro at 6:40.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM

209 posts, read 610,276 times
Waiting, waiting, waiting for the train station to open. Can't wait. I'm so over driving and parking at the current fairfield station I am actually driving to/from greenwich each day. Its more appearling to drive to/from greenwich every day than to deal with the parking clusterf&*ck over at the current station. The dilema is pay the $4 at KoC if you can get a spot or park for free 1/2 mile a way and walk.. Most days I don't feel like doing either so I drive.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
Waiting, waiting, waiting for the train station to open. Can't wait. I'm so over driving and parking at the current fairfield station I am actually driving to/from greenwich each day. Its more appearling to drive to/from greenwich day day than to deal with the parking clusterf&*ck over at the current station. The dilema is pay the $4 at KoC if you can get a spot or park for free 1/2 mile a way and walk.. Most days I don't feel like doing either so I drive.
Parking won't be any better. This backward town did NOTHING to address that. Unless you can walk to the new station, I don't think you're current situation will change much.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM

I agree with you but fortunately I can walk to the new station so that's why I am chomping at the bit for the opening.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Any update, its approaching the end of October.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut