Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM

33 posts, read 73,643 times

Advertisements

We're going to move to CT totally unexpectedly b/c of dh's project. This has to happen end Sept./beginning Oct.
This Wednesday we're going to stay in CT till Sunday to really explore what could be the right place.
We're going to keep our own home in PA and so we're looking for a rental with a max. of about $6000,- a month. Will we like CT living then we'll buy and sell our PA home. But that is future.
I'm a real urban girl, but from extensive reading on this forum it seems that that is not a realistic option in FFC (our destination).
Dh is keen on Stamford, but what are nice neighbourhoods where one sees ppl around them, apart from totally downtown? Are there spots to focus on? I really don't want anything rural. I'm from Holland so I'm used to densely populated areas and like it.
Maybe other towns with at least a nice main st.? I'm not looking for a real walkable grocerie spree, just a cup of coffee and some little shops to pop in every now and then. We also have a 2,5 year old and a baby due in Dec.

Which brings to another important question. Which ob/gyn/hospital is to be recommended since I will have to find one asap due to the close delivery date!

Thankx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Stamford is a small city and there are many urban neighborhoods you could live in there. I am sure that a good real estate agent would be able to help you. I though would recommend living in neighboring Greenwich. It is a very upscale town with a nice small downtown and many nice homes and neighborhoods. It is considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the country with many wealthy and famous residents (think east coast Beverly Hills). You could easily find a house near town for your rent. Other nearby towns that are equally as nice are Darien and New Canaan. Jay

Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Where is he working/commuting to and what are his commuting needs? That will help as there's lots of areas in the state that fit your wants, and your money will go further in some places than others. Also, depending on commuting needs, you'll be able to check a nice variety of cities/towns next week to see which fits you best.

Yale/New Haven is generally considered the best hospital in the state (and one of the best in the nation).

Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Thank you. He's working in White Plains. We could of course also look into Westchester county but we 'feel' more towards CT.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,449,095 times
Not sure about the place to deliver a baby, but definitely check out living in central Greenwich near Greenwich Avenue. There's a plethora of shopping and restaurants on the street, a train that goes into NYC at the end of the street, and a ferry to Greenwich's islands just a few blocks away. The Bruce Museum and a nice big playground are also nearby. Plus, you won't have to enroll your 5 year old in private school if you don't want to (though you might have to if you lived in Stamford.) Definitely the best choice of towns if you want to maintain somewhat metropolitan living without moving to Stamford.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 41,981 times
Possibly Danbury-Ridgefield area. Seems like quick commute to WP-access to Brewster & Croton trains

Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoep View Post
Thank you. He's working in White Plains. We could of course also look into Westchester county but we 'feel' more towards CT.
Stamford is a good choice, as well as Greenwich. Greenwich makes for a relatively easy commute.

New Canaan has a really nice downtown area.

I don't care for Darien's main street, personally. Not compared to Greenwich or New Canaan.

You could also check out Ridgefield, it has a nice town center, but might be too rural for you. It's a good commute to White Plains.

If you like dense, Stamford is by far the best choice, but be ready for some traffic commuting into White Plains.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks again! For some reason we never have even considered Greenwich, but we are definately going there now to check it out!

Kristin I'm not used to the distinction of private vs public, in Holland it's all public and therefore the thought of private is not appealing to me, although it is to my husband, but I'm very much like if public is outstanding than why pay lots of money for private? Nice mention about the playground, always a bonus!

I just looked up Greenwich hospital that seems to be part of Yale, so prob. will be a good choice.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM

588 posts, read 1,321,474 times
Yup, Greenwich is definitely the best option. It has a great, upscale downtown area -- not as big as downtown Stamford, but very nice with many shops and restaurants. Greenwich Hospital is phenomenal, and people travel from other parts of CT and NY to deliver there. For $6000/month you'll be able to find a nice (not huge) home, but most rentals require at least a year long commitment. Some great areas for young families include the Riverside, Old Greenwich and Cos Cob neighborhoods. All part of Greenwich, and close to the water. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoep View Post
I just looked up Greenwich hospital that seems to be part of Yale, so prob. will be a good choice.
Yep, anything under the Yale New Haven umbrella is pretty much guaranteed to be above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut