Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM

24 posts, read 44,541 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My husband will be starting a new job in September in Middletown, Ct. We are looking to move within 30 minutes from there. We would preferably like to live in a more rural area, but will do suburban. Needs to have good schools, low crime, and a family orientated neighborhood feel. We are looking to spend $235k or under for a 3 bedroom house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
"Family oriented neighborhood" and " rural" do not belong in the same sentence. However, I think you simply mean a not densely developed area but are still looking for a subdivision.

Look in the towns of Durham, Middlefield and Haddam, all adjacent to Middletown. They are not heavily developed and still have lots of farms and forest. They also have small subdivisions. Schools are excellent. Crime is not an issue.

$235,000 and under will get you a smallish, three bedroom " starter " home in any of those towns. You could also look in extreme southern Middletown in what is known as the " South Farms" area. It's a mix of farms and developments. Schools are more " iffy" though in Middletown, although your budget may stretch further. .

Good luck

Old 07-31-2011, 08:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I think Durham would be the best choice for sure. I work with someone who is a mother and absolutely loves living in Durham. It's low density population and good schools. However, it can be pricey.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
North Branford, North Haven, Bethany, Cheshire. There's lot of choices.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Glastonbury Ct is beautiful, school district is tops, PM me if you have specific questions, it's about 20 minutes north of Middletown, no traffic would be going against traffic, south in the AM, north in the PM.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Glastonbury is great, I just purposely didn't include it due to their budget being on the low side for a 3BR.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Agreed, budget isn't big enough for Glastonbury. I also agree with the west of the Connecticut River suggestions (Durham, Middlefield).

I'll throw in some East of the River ideas...I would also add Marlborough and Colchester to the list. Marlborough is about 25 minutes to downtown Middletown, Colchester probably another 10 minutes out, depending on the section of town. For your price range you could definitely do a 3 BR raised ranch w/a 2 car garage. I'd add Hebron too, but like Colchester it would be a little over the 30 minute mark.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 AM

24 posts, read 44,541 times
Thanks everyone for your help! Someone mentioned the town Higganum to me, do you think that would also fit for what I want?
Mels- Are Marlborough, Colchester and Herborn all good schools?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel_jenni View Post
Thanks everyone for your help! Someone mentioned the town Higganum to me, do you think that would also fit for what I want?
Mels- Are Marlborough, Colchester and Herborn all good schools?
I am not too familiar with Higganum, so I'll let someone else take that. You can't go wrong with schools in any of the towns listed. Most suburbs in CT have very solid school systems with few exceptions. Generally, if you notice a town's housing costs seem cheap compared to other suburbs, those are usually the towns with the crappier schools.

Colchester has its own school system. Marlborough, Hebron, and Andover have their own elementary schools and share a regional junior high and high school, both known as RHAM (Regional Hebron Andover Marlborough). You really can't go wrong with any of those towns. Colchester is less rural than the others, with its own big grocery store (Stop & Shop), Starbucks, etc. but is by no means built up. Hebron is more rural than Colchester, but has a small grocery store (Ted's IGA), pharmacy, etc. and Marlborough is the least commercial. In fact, the second traffic light in the whole town was just installed last year. Services are minimal there, but there is a small market, a couple convenience stores, 2 gas stations, a Dunkin Donuts, etc. There are lots of young families in all of those towns, and associated recreation groups and clubs.

I live in Marlborough, so just ask if you have questions about any of the towns in that area!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Higganum is a section of the the town of Haddam. It is basically the western side of Haddam. Very, very nice. Haddam/ Higganum is part of two town school system ( Killingworth & Haddam ) but the middle school and high school are both in Higganum. Each town has its own elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut