Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the top 10 largest shopping malls in Connecticut, which one do you like the most?
Danbury Fair (Danbury) 18 34.62%
Enfield Square Mall (Enfield) 1 1.92%
Westfarms (Farmington) 18 34.62%
Shoppes at Buckland Hills (Manchester) 5 9.62%
Westfield Meriden (Meriden) 1 1.92%
Westfield Connecticut Post (Milford) 2 3.85%
Stamford Town Center (Stamford) 5 9.62%
Westfield Trumbull (Trumbull) 1 1.92%
Brass Mill Center and Commons (Waterbury) 1 1.92%
Crystal Mall (Waterford) 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 PM

33 posts, read 73,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
... which is why indoor malls are on the decline and aren't being built anymore.
Is that so? That pleases me I miss the shopping 'European style' as I call it, in a nice shopping street, outside. I really don't get the American mall thing and the food one can get, 9 out of 10 times is all fast food in an ugly food court setting. Doesn't add to a nice shopping experience imo.
Nevertheless, once in CT, undoubtedly I will end up in a mall at a certain point.

Last edited by snoep; 08-08-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

428 posts, read 831,297 times
I don't like any malls but I go to WF on occasion for Brooks Brothers, otherwise I Go to downtown New Haven or take the trip to NYC, so I guess WF wins by default.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Out of curiosity for those of you who are voting for WF mall - how many of you have been to the Danbury Fair mall recently?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 PM

10,048 posts, read 14,414,649 times
I have not been to many of the malls listed, other than Stamford, Milford, and Trumbull. In general, those malls aside, I dislike the land malls take up, the sprawl they contribute to and the overall ugliness they just generate! lol....with that being said, Stamford's mall all the way.
The mall is very, very healthy in terms of being almost 100% filled. There are maybe 2 or 3 vacancies in the entire place now?? They just opened a Clark's and an Armani Exchange. Throw in all the other great stores like Pottery Barn, Apple, Barnes and Noble, Saks, Zara, H&M, etc., and it's dense, center-city location, and it wins hands-down.
If some of you have not been to the Stamford Town Center recently, it's really vibrant without the sketchiness of Trumbull's for example.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
It is pretty average. I'm not a fan of the crowd (same with Trumbull). I think it's unique in that it's been added onto since the 60's. It might be the biggest mall in New England at this point. It's kind of a hodgepodge of old and new, which might explain the weird parking situation.

I go for the Target, movie theater (awesome IMAX), and Buffalo Wild Wings. I try to do my clothes shopping at Clinton Crossing these days. Can't beat those outlet prices. Love the Banana Republic Factory store.

Milford downtown has some great shopping if you're female, male not so much. Westport, Greenwich, Milford Marketplace et al are a bit beyond my spending comfort. Although I am a sucker for Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Kind of glad there's none at my doorstep.
Milford is no where near the largest mall in New England. I believe that honor belongs to the Natick Mall in MA at 1.9 million s.f. Milford is the largest in Connecticut though with 1.334 million square feet. Danbury has 1.3 million s.f. and West Farms has 1.288 million.

Milford opened in 1960 as an open air mall. It has a central landscaped plaza that connected the stores. Trumbull was the first modern closed mall opening in 1964. Neither of these malls look anything like they originally did. They were modern marvels of their time. Jay

Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,424 times
Danbury - for size and convenience. also, the only Apple store other than the one at Westfarms. never seemed to me to be as mobbed as WF even though they are about the same size.
Westfield Meriden - not the greatest mall but i like the BestBuy there (and Borders too until.. well you know).

even though i practically grew up in the Crystal Mall, too small a food court and last i saw, lots of closed doors.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Danbury - for size and convenience. also, the only Apple store other than the one at Westfarms. never seemed to me to be as mobbed as WF even though they are about the same size.
Westfield Meriden - not the greatest mall but i like the BestBuy there (and Borders too until.. well you know).
Stamford has an Apple Store too.

New Haven is getting one, but not in a mall. There's also one on Greenwich Ave.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,424 times
Quote:
Stamford has an Apple Store too.

New Haven is getting one, but not in a mall. There's also one on Greenwich Ave.
good to know.. though both are a little far. thx

Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,923,290 times
What is so bad about the Brass Mill Center and Crystal Mall?

I've never been to any of those two, but I'm curious why no one voted for them.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 AM

428 posts, read 831,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Out of curiosity for those of you who are voting for WF mall - how many of you have been to the Danbury Fair mall recently?
I voted for WF and haven't, Danbury is in a part of the state I generally have no reason to visit for shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut