U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 PM

29 posts, read 177,835 times

Advertisements

Hi eveyone

We have recently started looking in Naugatuck to purchase a new home. We currenlty live in Bridgeport and we are looking to move to a slower pace town with home we can afford.
We recently looked at a home off exit 28. The neighborhoods are not like what we have seen in other area's of the city anymore familiar with the area around prospect school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM

51 posts, read 208,012 times
I was looking into Naugatuck about a year ago and almost moved there. I'm not sure about your particular area..but I will make a few points.

Serious tax base problems since Peter Paul Closed..lots of folks lost jobs. Naugatuck as I remembered before last year was very rural and quiet...but I don't think I would give it that name now.

Several areas have no build clauses..where you cannot add a second floor..and serious max. on size of garages and size of driveways.

Serious rules on what you can have in your driveway and who can live in your home.

I suggest you check on the codes for the houses...because thats what drove me away...I have more freedom right here in Bridgeport than I would in Naugatuck...but I do not blame them and do understand that nowadays if you want quiet and decent neighborhoods you've got to zone out a lot of things. Your neighbor next door in Bridgeport can start cutting trees a 5:00am in the morning an not much to be done.....in Naugatuck..they just outlaw the saw !!!.also..........a lot of forest has been cut down in Naugatuck and homes built. Only problem is right across the street may be those homes I mentioned where you cannot built or change floor plans. This in the future will or could perhaps lead to a sort of Naugatuck slum. The poor overlooking the swells...and I 'd be very careful of that !! The non expandable homes will always have the towns poorer residents....while the new homes will have better off....that WILL bring problems in the future.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 PM

28,554 posts, read 45,021,405 times
I was hoping that someone from the Naugatuck area would reply to this, but I see they haven't. Naugatuck is nice small city with a wide range of housing options. It is an older community with a proud industrial past and has a lot of older homes similar to what you would find in larger cities like Bridgeport or Waterbury. The schools in Naugatuck are okay. Connecticut Mastery tests scores are below the state averages though class sizes are reasonable.

Naugatuck might be nice change from Bridgpeort however do not expect as much going on. You might have to travel to neighboring Waterbury to find things you want. People I know in the area do like it there. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM

575 posts, read 2,912,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wan2hav View Post

Several areas have no build clauses..where you cannot add a second floor..and serious max. on size of garages and size of driveways.

Serious rules on what you can have in your driveway and who can live in your home.
I wouldn't say that they are "no build" clauses. pretty much every town has lots, homes, or businesses that are "non conforming" in that they were built before zoning regualtions went into effect and so do no conform to current regulations as far as place in the town, lot size, or size of the dwelling. If your request is reasonable, the town's zoning board of appeals can grant a variance for you to build.

Many towns that want to keep their character and have neighborhoods look nice don't allow things like boats, trailors, RVs, etc to be stored in the front of the house or allow unregistered cars unless they're in a garage. Additions of parent/grandparent apartments on homes are normally not allowed to be rented out...this is a common practice.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 AM

271 posts, read 1,186,732 times
Kysha98,

I can't really comment on that area of Naugatuck but I am bullish on the CT valley in general. There is a 60 acre development proposed for the riverfront in Naugatuck that could really transform the town.

Renaissance Place » Naugatuck, CT

I think increasingly those towns along route 8 have become a bedroom community for workers in Lower Fairfield County and even NYC. The state is going to do a study on the Waterbury branch of Metro-North, so there is hope they will improve service. I have occasionally taken the train from Waterbury on a Monday morning and I've noticed about 50 people get on at Naugatuck. I think those numbers will increase as more people are priced out of Fairfield County.

You might want to check out Thomaston which is a nice little town further up route 8 north of Waterbury.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 30,034 times
Smile I Live in Naugy and Love It!

My husband and I moved here a year-and-a-half ago with our four children and we have been really happy here. We moved here from Monroe for pretty much the same reasons...more affordable area, quiet area, etc. I am not that familiar with the Prospect School area...sorry. I live in the Maple Hill area and love the feel of the neighborhoods here. Our neighbors are great, the area is safe, 99% of the people care for their property. We have had positive experiences in the school system and with sports as well (soccer, basketball). We enjoy what Naugatuck has to offer - parks, swimming pools, library, YMCA, large store and small store shopping, fairs, festivals, farmer's market, holiday events, etc.

We have not had any problem with anyone being unruly or loud at night (or during the day); I don't know what the town codes are here but I do know that everyone in my area takes into consideration their neighbors when having parties, etc. As for building a second floor, two houses down from us are in the process of putting a second floor addition onto their home. There are many homes in this area that have RV's parked in their driveway. Down the street from us has a catamaran!

The taxes here are no higher than they were in Monroe. Considering that here in Naugy your taxes include weekly garbage pick-up, bi-monthly recycle pick-up, brush/leaf pick-up, etc. the taxes seem to go further than they did in Monroe (only recycle & 'call for' junk removal).

We are very happy with Naugatuck and encourage people to look into the town to see if it suits them. We discourage people from drawing conclusions on the town from hearsay or from experiences they may have had many years ago. I think this town has done a great deal to improve its image and is in the process of continuing the upward trend with Renaissance Place (stores, restuarants, movie theater, the arts, etc), coming to downtown.

Good luck on your move and if you choose to move to Naugatuck, Welcome!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,997 times
I also have been looking at a new community, Forest View Estates Brand new houses for 299k. The neighborhood was quite pretty and Walmart is right around the corner as is supermarket etc.
I currently rent in Fairfield and am worried primarily of the schools in Naugatuck. I am concerned that the a large percentage is not meeting the state minimim.
The elementary school is Center School, does anyone have any info on it?
THe other neighborhood we are looking at is Fawn Meadow Estates and Maple HIll is the elementary school there.
Thanks!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM

28,554 posts, read 45,021,405 times
Naugatuck schools perform under the State average for the Connecticut Mastery Tests. I would expect to see a big difference between the education offered in Fairfield (which is considered one of the best school systems in the state and perform well over the state average) and Naugatuck. The communities are very different and the emphasis on education would be noticeable. That is one of the reasons home prices in Naugatuck are much lower than other area communities.

I can not tell which schools in Naugatuck are better but I believe this information is available on the Connecticut Department of Education's web site. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,501 times
Default Naugatuck

This is a great town with a great school system !!!
Take it from me I have lived here for 40 years and my kids love school!,
Sure I can find a house alot cheaper in Waterbury but do not want my kids
going to a Waterbury school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offence, BUT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut