Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

My fiance just moved to CT for a job that is located in danbury. I am applying for positions at the children's hospital in Hartford which is approximately 1 hour away. We would like to stay closer to Danbury but were wondering about good areas to live in. We both are involved in crossfits if anyone has suggestions on the gyms in the area. We are in our mid 20's and early 30's. We are from a pretty small town in Ohio but are game for new adventures. Any suggestions will be helpful! thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt1347 View Post
My fiance just moved to CT for a job that is located in danbury. I am applying for positions at the children's hospital in Hartford which is approximately 1 hour away. We would like to stay closer to Danbury but were wondering about good areas to live in. We both are involved in crossfits if anyone has suggestions on the gyms in the area. We are in our mid 20's and early 30's. We are from a pretty small town in Ohio but are game for new adventures. Any suggestions will be helpful! thanks so much!!
There are many nice towns between Hartford and Danbury. You're going to want to be on the Interstate 84 corridor. Personally, I like Cheshire. Have you established a price range yet? Are you buying or renting at first? Do either of you have kids? Are schools an issue?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,823 times
Price range...we would like to stay cheaper hoping for around $1000. We are willing to get a 1 bedroom just starting out because of having to pay penalities to get out of our old lease, moving, etc.

No kids, so schools are not an issue.

We do have a dog so I know some communities/rental properties are more strict on the lease or they don't allow them at all.

Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
The area between Danbury and Hartford kinda sucks for your age group if you like things like activity and going out. It's a lot of very sleepy rural towns, or homogenous strip-type shopping. I know this from experience (late 20's, lived in Danbury area for years). At least it's a relatively short trip to NYC. Maybe coming from a small town in Ohio you'll be used to it.

Bethel near 84 might not be a bad option, although the Hartford commute might suck. Handful of things to do there, and at least you're an OK drive to the Norwalk area for more things to do.

West Hartford is great, but it's kind of far from Danbury. Same with Farmington. I like those towns for younger types better than anything in the Danbury area.

Brookfield, Newtown and Southbury are nice towns if you don't mind the quiet suburb types. Southington is also decent.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
My fiance just moved to CT for a job that is located in danbury. I am applying for positions at the children's hospital in Hartford which is approximately 1 hour away.
Just keep in mind with traffic it will be more than an hour. Traffic during rush hour is generally heavy on I-84. I'd focus on the midway locations between Danbury and Hartford, such as Cheshire/Southington. Have you considered applying for positions at Danbury Hospital?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 AM

168 posts, read 275,408 times
Quote:

Try Newtown, schools are good, close to Danbury and Hartford is doable.
Stay away from TSI (NY Sports Club/Boston Sports Club), they took all the Gold's Gyms and turned them into city priced spas.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
Try Newtown, schools are good, close to Danbury and Hartford is doable.
Stay away from TSI (NY Sports Club/Boston Sports Club), they took all the Gold's Gyms and turned them into city priced spas.
I agree on NYSC. Crazy expensive.

This place is decent in Brookfield, and you can't beat the price:

Club 24 - #1 Choice for Health & Fitness in Connecticut

I agree on applying for Danbury Hospital, which would make everyone's lives easier. That way you can live in a nice suburb of Danbury (Brookfield, New Fairfield, Bethel) or live a little down-county for a bit more action (Norwalk), and not have to worry about Hartford traffic.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
That one hour drive during normal commute hours is only in your dreams. Easily 90 minutes and even worse with winter weather.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,460 times
Do yourself a favor and don't work in Hartford. It's not a fun commute from the Danbury area, and I personally find the city itself kind of depressing. If you're looking for a children's hospital, have you looked into Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY? It's closer than Hartford, and a great hospital.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't work in Hartford. It's not a fun commute from the Danbury area, and I personally find the city itself kind of depressing. If you're looking for a children's hospital, have you looked into Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY? It's closer than Hartford, and a great hospital.
Hartford is no more depressing than any other major city in this country. To compare it to a suburban location is not comparing apples to apples. Why not recommend John Dempsey Medical Center in Farmington then? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut