Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
DH (designated hitter?)
Ha!

Totally off topic, but that acronym has always annoyed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,957 times
It cracks me up how aggressive people get with their writing... if you are like this in person, I'm glad I don't know you.

Anyway. Back to the topic at hand. I do the commute from Fairfield every day. On the same 6:43am train. I drive about 8 minutes to the train, park up the street at Knights of Columbus, and then walk 5 or so minutes to the station. Add in another 5-10 minutes of waiting time for the train to leave. Already, up to at least 18 minutes. Plus 1h12m to arrive in GCT. Then I have a 5 minute walk and 2 minute elevator ride. All in, just under 1h40m. And that's only because I'm 3 blocks from GCT - 40th and Madison. The ride home, if you can catch the 5:43 ride home, is a few minutes faster. Otherwise it's a little longer.

So, to the OP, if you are hoping to get a max 1h30m commute - it all depends. If you are walking distance to the train, or can be dropped off and picked up, then you can get really close. But you also have to factor in the trip from GCT to your office. As someone else mentioned, you might want to investigate some areas of Westchester, or parts of NJ. We chose Fairfield knowing that I would miss out on a lot, but that my kids would have a better opportunity when growing up through the school system. Hopefully over time I'll find a job that's closer and be able to be around more.

To SVTJayC's comment about kids being in school... mine are 8 months and almost 3 yrs old, so no school yet. When I catch the 5:43, I get home at 7, just in time to spend 30 seconds with them before getting them to bed. And forget seeing them in the morning, unless they somehow wake up early. Before getting fiery and judgmental, think about how someone else's situation may be different than yours.

And yes, I hate the DH/DD/DS/Dwhatever thing too...

Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 22,692 times
Good point about the waiting lists for parking spots; I had read that previously in other posts, as well. In our current Boston location I already drop my husband off at the train station and pick him up afterwards and it hasn't been a problem for us, so I think we would be fine doing that in Fairfield while we slowly waited to get a spot on the waiting list. My husband does have flexibility with his job and spends about half his work week working from home, so he'd only have this commute for half of the work week. Plus, the company that he works for (which is based out of NYC and would remain the company he works for when we move) will provide a free car service for him any evening he has to stay past either 7 or 8 pm.

It sounds like Fairfield will be our best option....

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 AM

462 posts, read 737,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
It cracks me up how aggressive people get with their writing... if you are like this in person, I'm glad I don't know you.

Anyway. Back to the topic at hand. I do the commute from Fairfield every day. On the same 6:43am train. I drive about 8 minutes to the train, park up the street at Knights of Columbus, and then walk 5 or so minutes to the station. Add in another 5-10 minutes of waiting time for the train to leave. Already, up to at least 18 minutes. Plus 1h12m to arrive in GCT. Then I have a 5 minute walk and 2 minute elevator ride. All in, just under 1h40m. And that's only because I'm 3 blocks from GCT - 40th and Madison. The ride home, if you can catch the 5:43 ride home, is a few minutes faster. Otherwise it's a little longer.

So, to the OP, if you are hoping to get a max 1h30m commute - it all depends. If you are walking distance to the train, or can be dropped off and picked up, then you can get really close. But you also have to factor in the trip from GCT to your office. As someone else mentioned, you might want to investigate some areas of Westchester, or parts of NJ. We chose Fairfield knowing that I would miss out on a lot, but that my kids would have a better opportunity when growing up through the school system. Hopefully over time I'll find a job that's closer and be able to be around more.

To SVTJayC's comment about kids being in school... mine are 8 months and almost 3 yrs old, so no school yet. When I catch the 5:43, I get home at 7, just in time to spend 30 seconds with them before getting them to bed. And forget seeing them in the morning, unless they somehow wake up early. Before getting fiery and judgmental, think about how someone else's situation may be different than yours.

And yes, I hate the DH/DD/DS/Dwhatever thing too...

Trust me, your kids will be happy when they have money for college, and when they're old enough to realize sacrifices had to be made to keep food on the table, a roof, etc.. My father worked in Mahwah when we lived in Teaneck. Easily over an hour with traffic on 17. I don't for a second hold it against him, and my brother's and I are successful because we were taught a solid work ethic by example.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM

201 posts, read 727,654 times
Door to door to most people I know means when you leave your house to when you open the door to your office - which includes in some cases includes security checks before you enter the elevator of the NYC office. Cute version of DH hehe

Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
Trust me, your kids will be happy when they have money for college, and when they're old enough to realize sacrifices had to be made to keep food on the table, a roof, etc.. My father worked in Mahwah when we lived in Teaneck. Easily over an hour with traffic on 17. I don't for a second hold it against him, and my brother's and I are successful because we were taught a solid work ethic by example.
My wife and I are successful (she a little more than I ), and all of our parents worked in the town we lived in or the town adjacent. So if you're saying the only way your children can learn work ethic is to be absent most of their childhood to teach the meaning of "sacrifices", then that's really sad.

I dream of going to my kids' t-ball, soccer, and/or basketball practices and games after school. I also enjoy being home for a 5:30 dinner with just the four of us around the table to learn more about each other and discuss the world we live in. That's what builds a solid family - not absenteeism.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eten1234 View Post
Good point about the waiting lists for parking spots; I had read that previously in other posts, as well. In our current Boston location I already drop my husband off at the train station and pick him up afterwards and it hasn't been a problem for us, so I think we would be fine doing that in Fairfield while we slowly waited to get a spot on the waiting list. My husband does have flexibility with his job and spends about half his work week working from home, so he'd only have this commute for half of the work week. Plus, the company that he works for (which is based out of NYC and would remain the company he works for when we move) will provide a free car service for him any evening he has to stay past either 7 or 8 pm.

It sounds like Fairfield will be our best option....
It is, especially if you have more than $600k to spend on a house. Less and I'd be recommending other towns given his part-time commute.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My wife and I are successful (she a little more than I ), and all of our parents worked in the town we lived in or the town adjacent. So if you're saying the only way your children can learn work ethic is to be absent most of their childhood to teach the meaning of "sacrifices", then that's really sad.

I dream of going to my kids' t-ball, soccer, and/or basketball practices and games after school. I also enjoy being home for a 5:30 dinner with just the four of us around the table to learn more about each other and discuss the world we live in. That's what builds a solid family - not absenteeism.
I know we're continuing to drift off topic, but what the hell.

Both my parents worked growing up, and all I learned is that I would rather live in a smaller house in a lesser school district and actually be around for my kids to watch them grow up. My parents were gone at 6 - 6:30am every day, and got home at 7:30 or so every night. Starting dinner at that time just isn't normal for any kid.

Like you say - I dream about being around for soccer, etc. games after school... I know how much it sucked as the kid to not have my parents around (especially when it comes to bumming rides home from soccer practice after school when your school is 5+ miles away). For now, I'll make the sacrifice. It won't last long. For the OP - that's great that your husband can work from home half the time. That will definitely help with his mental state and keep some sort of traditional family lifestyle.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 AM

462 posts, read 737,442 times
Well, I dream of having a second Porsche. So I guess for now our priorities are different. What none of you actually considered before trashing the idea, was what the OP's dreams were. I think you all assumed he's a family man.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 AM

18 posts, read 42,069 times
Trumbull to NYC in 1.5 hours is tough unless you are right on the Fairfield or Bridgeport line OR you leave at 5AM and drive 90 (going home you would be out of luck).

I am on the Eastern side of Fairfield, and can make it to Greenwich door to door in 1hr15min on the train. If I worked in NYC it would add at least 30 minutes to GCT. However, I am not really sure as there are some express trains that might make that shorter. If you lived near the downtown station, you would shave another 15minutes off, or once the new station is open in October it will save me about 10 minutes.

As for towns, I think you need to get a feel for them. I live in Fairfield and looked in Trumbull. Obviously, I thought Fairfield was better. It is all really subjective. I have a coworker that lives in Trumbull because they prefer it to Fairfield. In MY opinion (so take it with a grain of salt) Fairfield has the following advantages over Trumbull:

Five public beaches
*Better Schools (not necessarily educationally, but parents are very involved)
More established city center
More options for eating and entertainment
*Stronger neighborhoods
*Closer community
More architectural character

I do, however go to Trumbull for the mall, and the "big box stores" as there are two Targets, a best buy, etc in Trumbull. The items marked with an asterisk are ones which I can only base on what I have seen and heard. The only way to know those for sure is by living in both places. (I am trying REALLY hard not to offend any Trumbull-ites here!) Towns are like pizza joints....we all have our favorites!

You really need to drive around and get a feel for the towns. You will definitely get more house for your money in Trumbull, but that kind of thing usually happens because you are giving something up (most notably ease of commute to NYC).

As for the price range, you are close. I think for that price you can find a nice house in good neighborhood with a good school, but probably on 0.15 or so acres. I think you may find that, as you look at houses in person you may need to adjust your budget up a little to get everything you want.

Congratulations on getting back to NYC and best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut