Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 22,690 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to City Data and this is my first post; I've been reading through a lot of the previous posts here and I have gathered a lot of great info so far....so thanks everyone for all of your input and posts!

My husband and I are planning to move from our Boston suburb home down to a NYC suburb of CT in the next year or so. Our budget will be approx $500k and we are fine with a smaller home (such as 1500 SF) and/or fixer-uppers on a level lot so that we could add an addition in time, etc. *Having at least .25 acres is important to us. We don't have kids yet, but schools will also be a high priority to us as we'd like to start a family soon.

Several years ago, we lived in North Jersey for approx 5 years and my husband commuted into NYC. We moved up to Boston for a job opp, but in the end we both know that NYC is the best place for his career and we are planning to move back...this time we are hoping to move to CT and raise our family here. It is the midway point between my husband's family in MA and my family in NJ.

My husband is willing to sacrifice having a longer commute (1.5 hrs each way is the preferred max, though) if we can get more land/house as result. We know we are way below the price range of towns like Greenwich, Westport, Darien, etc.

So far Fairfield is our top choice as I've read so much here about the great schools, family oriented towns, etc....and the commute seems to be 1.5 hours or less. I've even found a good number of homes in our price range that I'm very interested in. However, I've also read excellent things about Trumbull - specifically the schools. It seems like homes are a tad less expensive in Trumbull vs. Fairfield, too. I've read about the high taxes in Trumbull, but they aren't too shocking to us, since again, we came from NJ and are used to high property taxes. Is it possible to commute to NYC (Grand Central) from Trumbull in 1.5 hours or is that unrealistic?

Based on the commute (1.5 hrs each way or less to NYC), our home budget ($500k for smaller/1500 SF home on min .25 acres) in a family-oriented town w/ excellent schools - which would you suggest - Fairfield or Trumbull???? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
You'll definitely have a better commute from Fairfield, and a bit more home for your money in Trumbull. Trumbull taxes are a bit higher. Fairfield has more going on - more restaurants, shops, etc. Trumbull is a solid town to live in though.

If you're going to consider Trumbull for a commute, you might also want to look at Milford. Good schools (not as well rated as Fairfield though - elementary schools are good, high school is about average for CT) and you'll get more for your money in the north end as far as square footage and lot for $500,000 than both Fairfield and Trumbull. Your commute will be around the same as Trumbull if you're near the train station, factoring in driving. The train ride from Milford is about 80 minutes vs. 70 minutes from Fairfield. You'll eat up that 10 minutes driving into Fairfield from Trumbull easily, and then some.

I don't have any other suggestions for that budget. Shelton would be nice, but might be a little less convenient of a commute - but you do get a lot of house for your money, and the taxes are low and schools are pretty good.

It all depends on your tolerance of the commute, and how much house you want for your money.

Fairfield Real Estate - Fairfield, CT Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®
Trumbull Real Estate - Homes for Sale in Trumbull, - Realtor.com®
Milford Real Estate - Milford, Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®
Shelton Real Estate - Shelton, CT Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Honestly, even a Fairfield --> NYC commute would get old quickly.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Honestly, even a Fairfield --> NYC commute would get old quickly.
I know people that commute from Newtown and Brookfield to NYC and have for years. Everyone has different tolerances. I don't think I could do it.

If you want to buy in CT, work in NYC, and have a budget of $500k - you really don't have much of a choice unless you're willing to buy a condo or sacrifice good schools.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I know people that commute from Newtown and Brookfield to NYC and have for years. Everyone has different tolerances. I don't think I could do it.

If you want to buy in CT, work in NYC, and have a budget of $500k - you really don't have much of a choice unless you're willing to buy a condo or sacrifice good schools.
That's why I was going to suggest the OP look at Jersey or upper Westchester. I lived in Cos Cob 10 years ago and made the commute to One Liberty Plaza. Even if I worked near GCT, it's a b*tch of a commute.

Depending on where the OP would live in Milford, they'd have to drive to the station. They're looking at 90+ minutes of commuting - one way.

Newtown/Brookfield to NYC?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That's why I was going to suggest the OP look at Jersey or upper Westchester. I lived in Cos Cob 10 years ago and made the commute to One Liberty Plaza. Even if I worked near GCT, it's a b*tch of a commute.

Depending on where the OP would live in Milford, they'd have to drive to the station. They're looking at 90+ minutes of commuting - one way.

Newtown/Brookfield to NYC?
Trumbull or Milford is going to be 90 minutes each way. Fairfield ~75-80. Either way it's a bad commute.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Trumbull or Milford is going to be 90 minutes each way. Fairfield ~75-80. Either way it's a bad commute.
I mean door to door. The train from Fairfield to GCT is ~75. Factor in driving to/parking at the station, and walking/subway to your office. Yeah - 90+ minutes easily. Trumbull and Milford more than likely 1hr 45.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I mean door to door. The train from Fairfield to GCT is ~75. Factor in driving to/parking at the station, and walking/subway to your office. Yeah - 90+ minutes easily. Trumbull and Milford more than likely 1hr 45.
Door to door, yeah. It would suck.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM

462 posts, read 737,264 times
Some of you are babies. I hate commuting, and I commute from Fairfield to Wall St. everyday. It's perfectly doable. 6:43 from Fairfield station, gets into GCT at 7:55 and I'm at my office by 8:10. Trumbull is another story entirely. No thanks.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,690 times
Thanks for the replies. Yes, we have accepted the fact that we will have a long commute within our budget. My husband has commuted easily over 1.5 hours each way from where we used to live in North Jersey for 5 years and we know the drill. He can handle it - he just doesn't want to go far above 1.5 hours each way. From what I've read, Fairfield's commute is within our ideal commute (1.5 hours or less each way) but Trumbull might be pushing it, it looks like. Thanks again for the input so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut