Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times

Advertisements

What's the problem with that system?
Everyone starts going to college and the degree's become less valuable. Supply and demand. It also means years and years of hard work that contributes nothing to society and costs a fortune. It's busy body work. It's work that doesn't produce anything and costs money. Lot's of it. Just look at the amount of degree's in india or moldova. They get a phd and end up driving a taxi cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM

462 posts, read 737,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
You're not listening. All that stuff about deadlines ect. can be learned living life. Especially living on your own and making friends. It really has nothing to with education. lol

I said "education" is a "system" of determining what someone's income is. It has nothing to do with gained and applied knowledge. A business degree is total b.s. It's just a piece of paper that allows you to MAKE MORE MONEY. I'm saying it's b.s. because it's not really "education". It's just a system of determining income. True education would be a phd biochemistry degree and then getting a job for 35k as a researcher Or med school and becoming a doctor.. APPLIED KNOWLEDGE = TRUE EDUCATION
Yeah well, "TRUE EDUCATION" doesn't pay the bills. I would LOVE some of whatever it is your smoking though.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,547 times
Indian Point is never going to close down. It provides something like 1/4 of the power for all of NY. And if it were to close down, which is very unlikely, any increase in desirability would be offset by a huge job loss, effectively making the effect on home values zero or negative. Croton is still pretty darned far from NYC, and many parts of it flood. Utopia it is not. The 1st rule about real estate is location.....

If you are in Croton when something happens at Indian Point, you are dead plain and simple. Add to that many false alarms a year and it's just not something I would buy into personally. I'm in lower Westchester. If something happened at IP, I certainly wouldn't stay here, but I could leave in a few days to minimize long-term exposure.

As for it's vulnerability, yes it is the most vulnerable in the US due to it's proximity to NYC... Nuclear Power Plants: Ranking America's Most Vulnerable - The Daily Beast
People have been pushing for it to get closed down since it opened. It's nothing more than political posturing in response to Japan's crisis now.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
What's the problem with that system?
Everyone starts going to college and the degree's become less valuable. Supply and demand.
The reason this isn't the case, is because all schools, all degrees, and all people are NOT created equal. Even with everyone getting a degree, there are plenty of ways one can distinguish themselves from another. There's a reason we do NOT graduate anywhere near the number of engineers we need in this country...because it's hard.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
Yeah well, "TRUE EDUCATION" doesn't pay the bills. I would LOVE some of whatever it is your smoking though.
Yes that's my point. It's not about education. It's about money. What your learning in school is basically a bunch of b.s. that you have to get through to get a pay check.

HR departments at corporations suddenly decided anything over 25k requires a degree and now their starting to want master's degree's.

Why? Because there were so many applications with bachelor's degree's on them looking for low paying jobs...so why the hell not! The days of mopping the floor and working your way to the top are long gone. This an arms race for education. You will need a PHD soon to work at Walmart. It's out of control. The government badly needs to pass a bill banning any company from asking for a college degree if the pay is less than 75k. A few exceptions maybe, but that law needs to pass to stop this arms race for education which is going to drive this economy into the ground. This is very reminiscent of the great depression when you couldn't get a job without a high school diploma and people had to pay for high school like they do now for college. There is no advantage to sending our future youth to school for years and years past high school. It just costs money and caters to the corporate slave masters and it produces nothing but debt.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The reason this isn't the case, is because all schools, all degrees, and all people are NOT created equal. Even with everyone getting a degree, there are plenty of ways one can distinguish themselves from another. There's a reason we do NOT graduate anywhere near the number of engineers we need in this country...because it's hard.
Yes with a masters degree or phd or multiple phd's that have no relevance to the job. How long do you want to go to school just to get a basic job playing 40k a year? Doesn't this seem inefficient?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes with a masters degree or phd or multiple phd's that have no relevance to the job. How long do you want to go to school just to get a basic job playing 40k a year? Doesn't this seem inefficient?
I started at twice that at 22 yrs old in 2003, and that was with nothing but a 4yr BS in a recession. And I was by no means alone. I know folks in HR in the NYC metro area, so my info is pretty current. I don't know where you are getting your info from, but i feel like a lot of your assumptions may be flawed. My very first year working, I was making what 2 years of college cost. This whole "college doesn't mean anything, it's a waste of money" argument is just a lie perpetrated by people that were either too lazy to go to college, couldn't get into the school they wanted to, couldn't afford the school they wanted to, or graduated with the wrong degree.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
"college doesn't mean anything, it's a waste of money" argument is just a lie.
It's only a waste of money if EVERYONE(majority) starts going, which is starting to happen because you can't make a living without one. That's THE PROBLEM. You should be able to get a middle income job without a degree. That's the way it was before 1980. That's why it has become so hard for many to find work. That kind of system isn't going to work. Get the picture? It's about MONEY, not education. That's my whole point. You're not using the education(ie applied knowledge). Using college as a way to separate people doesn't make any sense. Commodity brokers used to not even need a high school diploma. As you require more and more education, it simply means it will be harder and harder to land a good paying job. Simple. You're not looking at the big picture. You can't make a living without a degree for the most part, thus why we need a change in legislation. College is part of the problem, not the solution. I'm talking about the system and bigger picture. You are just looking at your individual situation at this immediate time.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM

You used to be able to get a good paying job without going to High School too. It's called progress. Commodities used to be traded live in person, and were priced using very simple supply and demand. Now everything is computer driven, and the algorithms used to price things require a PHD level math background to understand. Things change. Ever watch an old person try to leave a mall parking lot? You need to have basic computer skills just to pay your parking fees these days.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM

College = High school diploma now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut