Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM

462 posts, read 737,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
College = High school diploma now
Yes. Just like a HS diploma now = grammar school + street smarts 50 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
You used to be able to get a good paying job without going to High School too. It's called progress. Commodities used to be traded live in person, and were priced using very simple supply and demand. Now everything is computer driven, and the algorithms used to price things require a PHD level math background to understand. Things change. Ever watch an old person try to leave a mall parking lot? You need to have basic computer skills just to pay your parking fees these days.
HAHA This is such laughable logic. I guess since I didn't go to college I can't figure out to pay a parking meter? Huh...funny I built a computer from components when I was 16. Old people always have problems. Their brains are deteriorating. We already covered how "education" is all about money and has nothing to do with actually learning anything. You just like to feel superior. That's really what it's all about. You don't need a phd to be a commodity broker. Their a salesman. Think like a boiler room. They push product. Their not an analyst. You obviously know absolutely nothing about the securities and commodities field.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM

462 posts, read 737,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
HAHA This is such laughable logic. I guess since I didn't go to college I can't figure out to pay a parking meter? Huh...funny I built a computer from components when I was 16. Old people always have problems. Their brains are deteriorating. We already covered how "education" is all about money and has nothing to do with actually learning anything. You just like to feel superior. That's really what it's all about. You don't need a phd to be a commodity broker. Their a salesman. Think like a boiler room. They push product. Their not an analyst. You obviously know absolutely nothing about the securities and commodities field.
You're right, it's only the business I work in. How many years of finance/trading experience do you have btw?

Congrats, you built a computer when you were 16. I built one when I was 12. These 2 facts have 1 thing in common, they are completely irrelevant to the conversation. As for feeling "superior", you couldn't be further off. I am simply stating facts, not half baked opinions.

Your method of debate seems to be to state something ridiculous, and they claim we "covered that". So I'm done arguing with you.

I already got a warning for saying you sound like a fool, now I just think you are simply one of the ignorant masses. I sincerely hope nobody in this thread listens to a word you have said.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
This thread is going way off topic. Please return to the quesiton asked by the OP or I will shut it down. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 AM

18 posts, read 42,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgreear View Post
Thanks, how do you like living in Fairfield in general? It seems like it would be a great place to raise a family.
I have three boys between 3 months and 10years. The Stratfield area is a GREAT place to raise a family. Our house is too small and we want to move, but every time we look outside of Stratfield we just can;t seem to pull the trigger because we would lose so much, so we keep waitign for the right house to come up in Stratfield.

I commute to Greenwich and take the time part of the time. Your biggest issue will be parking, but if you take the early train you can probably find some day parking spots for $6/day. Or, from the Stratfield area, you can grab a bus from Park Ave to the Bridgeport station or take a bike to the new Fairfield station (assuming you don;t want to pay the $6 per day).

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,715 times
We have a 2 year old boy, and my commute is 7 minutes. One thing you should consider, what is really more important? Having a house and a yard for your daughter, or having quality time WITH your daughter? I just know that if i had to work with at least a 3 1/2 commute per day on top of at least 8 hours of work per day, I would be wiped out m-f. Of course you gotta do whats right for you and your family, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgreear View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to Fairfield, Ct. We have visited a few times in the last month and like the town and neighborhoods (specifically we are looking at the Stratfied area). The one factor I am grappling with is the commute. Realistically to where I work in Manhattan I think door to door the commute will be 1hr 45min each way. Having a seven month old daughter, however, I am excited about the prospect of owning a house with yard, etc., in a good place to raise a family, and Fairfield seems to offer decent value in the housing market with nice neighborhoods, good school system and down to earth people from what I can tell. That said, I think I could get used to the commute, but it still makes me a little nervous at this point. Any thoughs from people who do this commute or long commutes in general? Thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM

81 posts, read 245,904 times
Don't do it. It's just not worth it, no matter how much nicer of a house you can get. Your kids don't care about their house. They care about you. If you must go, I suggest renting first so you have an option to change your mind. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 11,580 times
i live in stratfield and i used to make the commute to Union Square (i am now a stay at home mom) It was a bear - I have to be honest. But the new train station just opened up in Fairfield and I think that helps now...also, there are SO many people who do the commute. I do love my neighborhood - very normal people, lots of kids, great park, great school. Once you get home, you'll be happy you are here.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 5,961 times
The commute is what you make of it. Most people sleep, use their iPad or work on the train. To me it is well worth it. The new train station is quite convenient for me. I recently moved to town and got a parking pass for the new station rather quickly.

The waiting list for the old station is still something like 7 years. But there is day parking available near the old station for $4 per day at the Knights of Columbus lot up the hill.

There are enough express trains to make the commute decent, but it rarely clocks in less than an hour. The trains are old and few of the new trains are in use at this point, although they just raised the monthly rates to pay for the new trains. Hopefully the new trains will cut the commute time, but we will see.

There are A LOT of people that commute to NYC, the trains are packed. There are many that commute from even farther out. Just ride the 5:44 out of Grand Central one night and watch all of the people getting off at the first stop in Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut