Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a problem with what Perry said. I don't feel like he really singled out Connecticut, and out of all the things he has said, this is one of the last ones I'd be upset about.

He was my governor for several years I lived in Texas, and he wasn't great.. but wasn't awful. The Texas governor position is unique in the nation in that the governor has surprisingly little power. He did some things I was impressed with (advocating for mandatory HPV vaccination) and a some things that I was NOt impressed with.

Believe it or not, he used to be a democrat.

As far as the analysis of the Texas economy versus Connecticut's, I'd say you can't argue with the numbers. But it's important to remember that Texas has the highest percentage of hourly workers making minimum wage as well. In, the nicest neighborhoods of Austin, with the best schools its still hard to find a home for under 290K. In many of those areas with 125K homes, I wouldn't want to send my child to school there. In some of the wealthy areas, the high schools are as good as the ones here.

That having been said, I choose to move here and start my business here. Economy and low taxes certainly aren't everything and on balance, I am much happier here.

With regards to Perry, I find his new-found born-again, religious revivalist shtick shallow and offensive. Had he run as Rick Perry politician, I would have considered voting for him. But since he decided to run as Rick Perry preacher, I won't.

On a side note, I had the opportunity to talk with him on two occasions. On a personal level he seems to be an engaging, pleasant man. I am sorry to see his campaign of pandering to extremist Christian right wingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
Yeah, Obama has proven to be a real man of his word. Nothing shady or creepy about him at all
Oh dont look at me like that I never for voted for Obama LOL I think Obama is the bomb thats scary LMAO

Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't really have a problem with what Perry said. I don't feel like he really singled out Connecticut, and out of all the things he has said, this is one of the last ones I'd be upset about.

He was my governor for several years I lived in Texas, and he wasn't great.. but wasn't awful. The Texas governor position is unique in the nation in that the governor has surprisingly little power. He did some things I was impressed with (advocating for mandatory HPV vaccination) and a some things that I was NOt impressed with.

Believe it or not, he used to be a democrat.

As far as the analysis of the Texas economy versus Connecticut's, I'd say you can't argue with the numbers. But it's important to remember that Texas has the highest percentage of hourly workers making minimum wage as well. In, the nicest neighborhoods of Austin, with the best schools its still hard to find a home for under 290K. In many of those areas with 125K homes, I wouldn't want to send my child to school there. In some of the wealthy areas, the high schools are as good as the ones here.

That having been said, I choose to move here and start my business here. Economy and low taxes certainly aren't everything and on balance, I am much happier here.

With regards to Perry, I find his new-found born-again, religious revivalist shtick shallow and offensive. Had he run as Rick Perry politician, I would have considered voting for him. But since he decided to run as Rick Perry preacher, I won't.

On a side note, I had the opportunity to talk with him on two occasions. On a personal level he seems to be an engaging, pleasant man. I am sorry to see his campaign of pandering to extremist Christian right wingers.
Howdy partna, I think the only reason why Rick put Connecticut on the spot just because Connecticut gay friendly... while Texas, well you know. LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Jane,

I have no idea what you're talking about. I tried rebutting point by point but this is easier:

TX has higher food insecurity for children than CT.
TX has a wayyy higher sales tax.
Property Taxes can go up to 4% per annum, which is about the highest rate in CT (though we use mills, and most municipalities tax at only a portion of assessment).
Property values for similar schooling districts can get just as pricey as here.
The crime in CT is half of TX. Our cities are small in footprint. Combine Hartford with its' immediate suburbs and you get one of the safest cities in America with a population of over 600k.
Gun laws in CT aren't all that different than TX, just the gun culture is.
There's nothing really stopping anyone from living "the simple life" in CT. If people get too into the ambition and drive of everyone else around them that's their choice.

You rag on the "entitled class" a lot. Don't know why really.

Texas seems alright, but that's it. I'm not clamouring to go there, nor are any of my mates. But, while they have done a few things right (I'm actually thinking of Perry's venture fund, what I know of it at least) they have done a lot of things that will strain their resources in the future. To say their model is what we should aim for, I'm not buying it because once you peel away the layers the facts speak for themselves.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Texas has gained an oversized share of the 2011 US job growth, and that is truly the most important accomplishment any state can attain. W/O job growth, states will falter economically again and again, and worse each time.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Texas has gained an oversized share of the 2011 US job growth, and that is truly the most important accomplishment any state can attain. W/O job growth, states will falter economically again and again, and worse each time.
Good thing they created those 115,000 government jobs in Texas to facilitate that growth then.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
This here is why I wouldn't vote (http://www.hamell.net/2011/08/why-rick-perry-would-make-a-great-president/ - broken link) for him:

Texas standings against all 50 states on a variety of issues (1st means highest ranking, 50th means lowest ranking).

• State Aid Per Pupil in Average Daily Attendance – 47th

• Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) Scores – 45th

• % of Population 25 and Older with High School Diploma – 50th

• High School Graduation Rate – 43rd

• Per Capita State Spending on State Arts Agencies – 43rd

• Birth Rate – 2nd

• Percent of Uninsured Children – 1st

• Percent of Children Living in Poverty – 4th

• Percent of Population Uninsured – 1st

• Percent of Non-Elderly Uninsured – 1st

• Percent of Low Income Population Covered by Medicaid – 49th

• Percent of Population with Employer-Based Health Insurance – 48th

• Total Health Expenditures as % of the Gross State Product – 43rd

• Per Capita State Spending on Mental Health – 50th

• Per Capita State Spending on Medicaid – 49th

• Health Care Expenditures per Capita – 44th

• Physicians per Capita – 42nd

• Registered Nurses per Capita – 44th

• Average Monthly Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) Benefits per Person – 47th

• Percent of Population Who Visit the Dentist – 46th

• Overall Birth Rate – 2nd

• Teenage Birth Rate – 7th

• Births to Unmarried Mothers – 17th

• Percent of Women with Pre-Term Birth – 9th

• Percent of Non-Elderly Women with Health Insurance – 50th

• Rate of Women Aged 40+ Who Receive Mammograms – 40th

• Cervical Cancer Rate – 11th

• Percent of Women with High Blood Pressure – 16th

• Percent of Pregnant Women Receiving Prenatal Care in First Trimester – 50th

• Women’s Voter Registration – 45th

• Women’s Voter Turnout – 49th

• Percent of Women Living in Poverty – 6th

• Mortgage Debt as Percent of Home Value – 47th

• Foreclosure Rates – 10th

• Median Net Worth of Households – 47th

• Average Credit Score – 49th

• Retirement Plan Participation – 47th

• Amount of Carbon Dioxide Emissions – 1st

• Amount of Volatile Organic Compounds Released into Air – 1st

• Amount of Toxic Chemicals Released into Water – 1st

• Amount of Recognized Cancer-Causing Carcinogens Released into Air – 1st

• Amount of Hazardous Waste Generated – 1st

• Amount of Toxic Chemicals Released into Air – 5th

• Amount of Recognized Cancer-Causing Carcinogens Released into Water – 7th

• Number of Hazardous Waste Sites on National Priority List – 7th

• Consumption of Energy per Capita – 5th

• Workers’ Compensation Coverage – 50th

• Income Inequality Between the Rich and the Poor – 9th

• Income Inequality Between the Rich and the Middle Class – 5th

• Homeowner’s Insurance Affordability – 46th

• Number of Executions – 1st

Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
It helped, mlassoff, but their private sector is also thriving, even in industries 100% independent of the gov't. Think UTC can say they are 100% independent of the gov't regarding revenue and quantity of jobs?

From the standpoint of jobs, they are doing extremely well. That deserves praise. Any state without substantial job growth for decades on end = a declining middle class.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
If Perry wins the Presidency, will all ye liberals jump into the sea

Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It helped, mlassoff, but their private sector is also thriving, even in industries 100% independent of the gov't. Think UTC can say they are 100% independent of the gov't regarding revenue and quantity of jobs?

From the standpoint of jobs, they are doing extremely well. That deserves praise. Any state without substantial job growth for decades on end = a declining middle class.
The middle class is declining all over... Texas is no exception. The fact is Texas ranks near last in nearly every social measurement that you use to judge a healthy society/state/community.

It takes a big leap to compare the government jobs in Texas-- working directly for the state or municipalities-- to working for UTC. The fact is, take out the government jobs and Texas job growth is far from impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut