Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM

468 posts, read 523,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I lived on the CT/MA line for 33 years, Southbridge, Webster, Oxford, Thompson. Went through Gloria. I thought that was a big deal, at the time.

Then I lived in Florida, took a direct hit from Charley. That was almost a Cat 5. It was brutal but it was far worse, after. There is nothing quite like being without power for 8 days while it is in the 90s but the dewpoint makes it feel more like 110 and you think you are walking under water. There is NO relief. National guard was there. Mandatory curfews. Every traffic light in the city just gone, probably in a swamp somewhere. I worked for a company that demanded we be at work and had to travel with a letter. I worked for BellSouth and had to deal with people whining in other parts of the country while I didn't have power, let alone a phone or the internet. Cellphone towers were even knocked out.

We were without electricity, cable and internet in Knoxville, TN for awhile in June due to a freak storm and I was thankful that I was not still in swFlorida living that kind of special hell.

Anyway, this info is my feeble attempt to make you feel better. There is always someone worse off, somewhere. I always wonder about that poor sap.

Hang tough, my homies. I hope you are soon electrified.
That is definitely worse than what's going on here. Sounds apocalyptic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
I searched hard for a generator last Thursday, and i scored one. 4000 Watt Champion for only $300. I never needed it............didn't lose power.

I laughed my @ss off today when my New Canaan clients were bitching about not having power. They have 2+Million McMansions. They have Bimmers, Benzes, Porsches, Rovers a plenty in their garages, and yet they cant figure out how to go buy a simple damned generator??????????? Besides, the storm in March of last year knocked out the power in New Canaan for many days. And yet, they still didn't learn from it.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:27 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Here's something they put together. Hope it helps ease the mind for those still out.

Estimated restoration times for specific towns..

Connecticut Light & Power : Estimated Restoration Times for Your Town (http://www.cl-p.com/StormCenter/Estimated_Restoration_Times_for_Your_Town/ - broken link)

Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I searched hard for a generator last Thursday, and i scored one. 4000 Watt Champion for only $300. I never needed it............didn't lose power.

I laughed my @ss off today when my New Canaan clients were bitching about not having power. They have 2+Million McMansions. They have Bimmers, Benzes, Porsches, Rovers a plenty in their garages, and yet they cant figure out how to go buy a simple damned generator??????????? Besides, the storm in March of last year knocked out the power in New Canaan for many days. And yet, they still didn't learn from it.
I'm looking into (and will) purchase a Solar Kit. They are dropping in price now but its nice becuase even with the power on you can still use it and save money. (Its free energy!) I found one for a few hundred bucks but the wattage it supports is not enough.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Solar kits just don't work worth a damn during a hurricane though. Now a good windmill....

Seriously, for emergency power nothing comes close to beating a generator.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Solar kits just don't work worth a damn during a hurricane though. Now a good windmill....

Seriously, for emergency power nothing comes close to beating a generator.
Solar panels store energy. The sun practically came out the night of the hurricane that passed but it accumulates energy from days before so it can be pouring and windy as heck...those panels wil still feed you energy.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
While I realize people are going through a tough time due to Hurricane Irene, I will remind you all of the rules to be respectful of others and not to flame them or make peronal attacks. that is what got the other thread shut down and if it continues, I will shut this one down too. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Thing to remember about roof mounted solar (as told to us by solar salesman) , if you think you'll need a new roof next year or so then the whole system needs to come down adding to roof expense.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:25 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
JV: Cl&p restoration efforts have been a bit embarrassing. Pennslyvania had a higher number of outages at the peak but had 99% of customers back online in 2 days. Here we are at 6 days and still massive outages. I've been most enraged by what I saw during my hotel stay. My family is shacked up at a disgusting hotel while cl&p crews got put up at the Ethan Allen hotel! No wonder we are fuming!!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
JV: Cl&p restoration efforts have been a bit embarrassing. Pennslyvania had a higher number of outages at the peak but had 99% of customers back online in 2 days. Here we are at 6 days and still massive outages. I've been most enraged by what I saw during my hotel stay. My family is shacked up at a disgusting hotel while cl&p crews got put up at the Ethan Allen hotel! No wonder we are fuming!!!!
You are comparing apples and oranges. Topography, nature of damage and number of available crews all effect that. You can't do an A-B.

In fact to further that point, United Illuminating (NOT part of CL&P) still has the same amount of outages in CT as CL&P. 19% and 21% respectively. So if it's just a CLP thing, why would the other utility be in the same boat in this region? As of right now CL&P has 1200 crews out there compared to 190. They are working hard.

PA is also not 100% restored yet, so I'm not sure where you got the 2 day thing.

As for the hotel, I'm not getting your point. Did someone force you into the roach motel? I'm not trying to be snippy, I just don't see how that matters. Go to a better place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut