Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 AM

293 posts, read 782,602 times

Advertisements

A few years ago when I was still living in MA we had an ice storm of epic proportions, everything was encased in solid sheets of ice (which made for beautiful-looking forests, but that was about the only benefit)

We were without power for two weeks, and this is during the winter months when it's frigging cold. We toughed it out, although we could've hit up a local shelter if we wanted to.

So yes, being without power right now does suck, I can certainly relate. But realize there was close to a million residents without power and that's down to a quarter of a million now I believe, plus this didn't just impact CT, it was the majority of the east coast, so crews have been tied up across our borders as well working there.

I was fortunate, I'm in Bristol and didn't lose power (although we had massive flooding for a day just down the street). But look into resources available to you, storm shelters that are open in your area, places you can get a hot shower and meal, etc.

Just be happy it's warm outside and not snowing right now, hell, be happy your home is still standing and wasn't destroyed like some along the coast, things could be much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
My eye's widened and mouth dropped more at the $8 a minute! ROFL

LOL Didn't even notice till you said something. Some guys go to the office, some guys go to work. Or something like that.

Amen brother. Just don't go drinking your own p*ss...Bear gets paid good money to do that. lol
haha I'm not there yet...I can still get water out of the ground! But we wont have power until Sept 6th at 6pm CL&P is telling me...

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM

468 posts, read 524,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. Topography, nature of damage and number of available crews all effect that. You can't do an A-B.

In fact to further that point, United Illuminating (NOT part of CL&P) still has the same amount of outages in CT as CL&P. 19% and 21% respectively. So if it's just a CLP thing, why would the other utility be in the same boat in this region? As of right now CL&P has 1200 crews out there compared to 190. They are working hard.

PA is also not 100% restored yet, so I'm not sure where you got the 2 day thing.

As for the hotel, I'm not getting your point. Did someone force you into the roach motel? I'm not trying to be snippy, I just don't see how that matters. Go to a better place?
JViello-
An editorial in today's Hartford Courant points out that CLP has half the number of crews working per customer without service than electric companies in MA, VA and NC.

Editorial: Connecticut had too few crews - Courant.com

I think that Northeast Utilities, the parent company of both UI and CLP, cut back on the number of line crews to save money and maximize profits. Linemen are paid well- they should be, it's dangerous work- and it's cheaper to not keep them on the payroll and plan to bring them in from other states. Except that in this storm, they couldn't do that in a timely fashion, because the other states were also affected.

I can't understand your motive for defending the electric companies. You've pointed out that we should have been prepared because they warned us that it could be two weeks. I agree: I should have been prepared. But what if they had warned us that it would be a year? Would you still be defending them? Please note that I'm not attacking the linemen, I'm criticizing the bean counters who I suspect decided to run with too few crews.

Electricity is essential for modern life, and I think that in the wake of this episode, the state government should set requirements for the number of line crews that UI and CLP have to maintain. This might seem an unwarranted intrusion of government into free enterprise, but given the monopoly that these companies have on power transmission, the only other reasonable alternative IMO is for government to take the lines over and make them public.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Jv: didn't really have much of a choice as to where to stay. My preference would have been a premium hotel but there were np vacancies. You should also be bothered with putting utility workers up at very expensive hotels. Not exactly prudent allocation of capital, we are the lucky ones who also get those costs passed onto us. Stop making excuses for cl&p, the restoration efforts in connecticut have become national news due to the delays.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Before you cast doubts on whether or not this has gone national, a wsj link follows (also on msnbc). Companies Struggle to Restore Electricity - WSJ.com

Nj is down to 70,000- impressive effort. We should really see fast restoration, more responsiveness and better service overall in Ct- we do pay rates that are the highest in the continental us. Sad.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Northeast Utilities is not the parent company for United Illuminating. UI is its own parent company, and has a few subsidiaries, United Illuminating being one of them.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Northeast Utilities is not the parent company for United Illuminating. UI is its own parent company, and has a few subsidiaries, United Illuminating being one of them.
Thank you for the correction.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I can't understand your motive for defending the electric companies. You've pointed out that we should have been prepared because they warned us that it could be two weeks. I agree: I should have been prepared. But what if they had warned us that it would be a year? Would you still be defending them? Please note that I'm not attacking the linemen, I'm criticizing the bean counters who I suspect decided to run with too few crews.
I don't think he's defending the company as much as he's defending the individual guys out there working their butts off who so many are insulting on a personal basis. Sure, the company might have some issues, but don't ridicule the guys working 18 hour days through blood, sweat and tears to get your power on. Many of these guys don't have power themselves.

That said, I still don't think CL&P management is playing around with this. They're doing everything they can.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't think he's defending the company as much as he's defending the individual guys out there working their butts off who so many are insulting on a personal basis. Sure, the company might have some issues, but don't ridicule the guys working 18 hour days through blood, sweat and tears to get your power on. Many of these guys don't have power themselves.
If you read my entire post, you saw that I never insulted the line crews or other power workers. I specifically stated that I wasn't talking about them. I know they're working hard, and I know they're doing a dangerous job.

I AM questioning whether management maintained sufficient numbers of repair personnel on the payroll.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

That said, I still don't think CL&P management is playing around with this. They're doing everything they can.

Update, they are up to 1540 crews out there now as neighboring states are freeing up more help to come here.

As for profitability, what many of you fail to or don't realize is the profitability of CL&P is directed by the D-PUC (Department of Utility Control). They literally are the ones who set the rates and profitability of the company. If there is an issue with that, that's who you need to take issue with.

They are currently merging with the newly-created Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Those two departments in the same bed should shake CT folks to the core more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut