Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

This is going to be extremely tough to answer. But let me ask.....do you really need to be within 2 hours of NYC? It seems like most of you and your husband's family is in NE CT and Mass. Sometimes we have to realize that we can't always be near all of our family members. With that said, I would focus strictly on eastern CT for finding a rental. It would be about 2.5-3 hours from NYC, but rest assured, you should be able to find a place for around $700 with less hassle. And, you would be within 30 minutes to an hour for most of your family. I mean, here is a 1br for $650 on a quiet dead end street in Norwich, which has a reasonable crime rate:

Cozy Quiet Apartment (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2592945283.html - broken link)

Or a 2 br apt for $795 in Danielson:

"Stunning Victorian" (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2591480711.html - broken link)

Or only $550 for a large studio in Sterling:

2 Large Room Studio - COUNTRY Living - Beautiful Area (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2583537777.html - broken link)

Or just $575 for a nice 1 br in Sterling:

LOVELY 1fl Apt in Large Victoria Home with Wrap-around porch (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2583566891.html - broken link)

Another nice one in Bozrah for $750:

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/apa/2589120295.html (broken link)

Eastern CT is the best solution to your problem IMO.

Last edited by nep321; 09-11-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 03:41 PM

241 posts, read 543,366 times
I've lived in Hyde Park (~ 5 yrs), Hartford (1 yr), and Bridgeport (2 yrs). I originally was going to say that I think Chicago is more affordable, but I checked Craigslist and it sure looks like rents have shot up since I was there!

If you are leaving Chicago specifically to get away from crime, you probably don't want to be focusing on Connecticut cities. Although I have liked living in them reasonably well, they have a whole lot less going for them than Chicago and still have a significant crime rate. In terms of what has impacted people I know personally, I've seen somewhat less violent crime here than in Chicago but lots of theft. And the neighborhoods you would end up in for that rent range may very well have a comparable violent crime rate as well.

So while I don't know the smaller towns well enough to give advice, I would second the suggestion of nep321 and look outside of the cities, in other parts of the state.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Just because you are snobbish and don't want to live where you can get a one bedroom for $700 doesn't mean other people don't want there. There are plenty out there if you don't mind not having a zip code you can brag about at the country club.
I know what you mean about "snobbery", but believe me, in this case they are talking about safety. The only places I can think of that * MAY * (and I emphasize may) be in that price range are the absolute highest crime parts of the whole state (not counting far eastern CT, nep321, I didn't realize apts were THAT cheap there, wow!). If we're talking about the Black Rock section of Bridgeport or the East Rock section of New Haven maybe you could cry "snob" but we're talking about east Bridgeport, or NH's Fair Haven neighborhood, or the worst parts of Hartford or Waterbury, etc.

And I agree with the other poster that while many parts of Derby and Ansonia are nice, some parts are pretty high crime, etc. and the unusually low rents in those sections reflect it (the CT Post sometimes list apts. in those sections that are as cheap as ones on the east side of Bpt).

Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Default YES, you can find rentals ..in Westville

(on google search) I just typed in Westville, CT rentals $700 and there were several apartment ads that may be to your liking.
Westville is actually part of New Haven but outside of the city limits.
Rents on Fountain Street or directly off of Fountain to the west of Edgewood Park may be just the right fit for you. Best of luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
(on google search) I just typed in Westville, CT rentals $700 and there were several apartment ads that may be to your liking.
Westville is actually part of New Haven but outside of the city limits.
Rents on Fountain Street or directly off of Fountain to the west of Edgewood Park may be just the right fit for you. Best of luck.
How can that be possible? It either is inside New Haven or outside of New Haven. Anyway, I looked into this, and Westville is simply an area within the city of New Haven. It is inside New Haven city limits.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Default Westville,

Not sure how to best explain it.. yes although it is part of New Haven, it also has a defined name, area, and zip code..located on the edge of town... it is not as busy as New Haven proper.. sorry if I didn't get in the history.. just trying to help to point out there are $700 apartments, some that may work out for the person who inquired. Aren't we all trying to be helpful here?

Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Westville is nice. I'm skeptical that full apartments are available there for 700 though.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Not sure how to best explain it.. yes although it is part of New Haven, it also has a defined name, area, and zip code..located on the edge of town... it is not as busy as New Haven proper.. sorry if I didn't get in the history.. just trying to help to point out there are $700 apartments, some that may work out for the person who inquired. Aren't we all trying to be helpful here?
Westville is in New Haven proper. It is a neighborhood within city limits. Yes, we're trying to be helpful. At the same time, we have to be realistic. New Haven has affordable apartments, but they are not desirable. That $700 apartment is likely in a terrible location (e.g. above a Chinese restaurant on a main road with no parking). Sure, it's still $700, but it's not going to have even the simplest amenities most people would expect. If the OP is okay with living in a place like this, that is their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Westville is nice. I'm skeptical that full apartments are available there for 700 though.
Me too. It's easy to do a search and find affordable places to live, but it's a lot different when you go to look at them.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
You can get a one bedroom in Manchester for $700.00 and it will be safe. It may be in one of the older sections of town, but here, that doesn't equal dangerous. The "luxury" mill apartments are not much more to be honest...$800 range IIRC when they are running their "specials".

I have a friend renting a 2 bed apt in a two family house on a quiet street with a yard, liv, kitch, din room, basement for $975.00.

The city basically has no crime. You can get to NYC in 2 hours no problem.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,078 times
Default Maybe New Milford

Hi,

I've lived in SW CT for 21 years. I would definitely NOT go to New Haven if I were you. You're not going to find a lot of woods in the area you're looking at, CT is the 4th most densely populated state in the nation. NW CT is the "quiet corner" but its definitely more than 2 hours from NYC. You might want to look into New Milford. It has fairly cheap rent and is less than 2 hours from NYC. $700 will get you a studio that may or may not be decent. Just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut