Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Even though it is a private school I don't get why they are allowed to discriminate.

If they had discriminated against blacks or women it is not allowed, but gays and lesbians do not have the same protection under the law.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since you are asking me directly, read through the thread, if you still don't understand my viewpoint, I'll try and answer it more clearly, but I'm not going to retype for hours again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I guess mine didn't count because you didn't like the answer.
Yes you did. Let's see if anyone else can answer affirmatively and do the mental gymnastics to not consider it bigotry.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM

834 posts, read 2,279,181 times
mlsassoff, yes I think a private club, school whatever should be able to make their own rules. That is the point of freedom. I DON'T agree with the school at all, for the record. But it doesn't matter what I think. Private is private. So yes, a white school or club should be able to remain only white, just like a black school or club should be able to remain only black, IF THEY SO CHOOSE. It should be the discretion of the club, NOT the government to decide.

We had an issue of this back in the early 90's at my college. There were some good old boys raising the roof over the black fraternity. Now, we all knew they didn't really want to be a part of the black fraternity. They just wanted to point out the irony over the fact that an all black fraternity was okay, but an all white fraternity would have been a huge issue. The black fraternity remained black as they should have been able to. However, it did annoy me that there was no white fraternity as the school didn't allow it.

I think the actions of this school are playing right into the stereotype people have of Christians/Catholics....unloving, intolerant, and closed minded. I don't think the actions of the school are doing the school any favors. But again, I will fight for their rights to do as they please in their own school. As long as they don't ask me for tax dollars, it's all good.

I'd also stand up if there was a gay/lesbian school who didn't allow straight people!

Believe me, I have no issues with being gay at all. This isn't about that. I believe gay people are born gay. I believe that they have as much of a right to be in a relationship as anyone does. I cannot imagine feeling that a gay person should live a lie and try to marry the opposite sex just to please a bunch of pearl clutchers. And I definitely don't believe a gay person should have to live a life alone because what they do behind closed doors makes some people uncomfortable. I have no problem with gay marriage (50% divorce rate and most of the other 50% seem miserable...yeah we heteros really have done a great job holding up the sanctity of marriage!) I'm down with the rainbow, mlassoff.

So to answer your question, the school is discriminating, yes. But as a private school they should have the right to discriminate based on their beliefs. Basically, our freedoms give us the right to be many things, including judgmental douchebags, and there isn't much that can or should be done about it.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
mlsassoff, yes I think a private club, school whatever should be able to make their own rules. That is the point of freedom. I DON'T agree with the school at all, for the record. But it doesn't matter what I think. Private is private. So yes, a white school or club should be able to remain only white, just like a black school or club should be able to remain only black, IF THEY SO CHOOSE. It should be the discretion of the club, NOT the government to decide.

We had an issue of this back in the early 90's at my college. There were some good old boys raising the roof over the black fraternity. Now, we all knew they didn't really want to be a part of the black fraternity. They just wanted to point out the irony over the fact that an all black fraternity was okay, but an all white fraternity would have been a huge issue. The black fraternity remained black as they should have been able to. However, it did annoy me that there was no white fraternity as the school didn't allow it.

I think the actions of this school are playing right into the stereotype people have of Christians/Catholics....unloving, intolerant, and closed minded. I don't think the actions of the school are doing the school any favors. But again, I will fight for their rights to do as they please in their own school. As long as they don't ask me for tax dollars, it's all good.

I'd also stand up if there was a gay/lesbian school who didn't allow straight people!

Believe me, I have no issues with being gay at all. This isn't about that. I believe gay people are born gay. I believe that they have as much of a right to be in a relationship as anyone does. I cannot imagine feeling that a gay person should live a lie and try to marry the opposite sex just to please a bunch of pearl clutchers. And I definitely don't believe a gay person should have to live a life alone because what they do behind closed doors makes some people uncomfortable. I have no problem with gay marriage (50% divorce rate and most of the other 50% seem miserable...yeah we heteros really have done a great job holding up the sanctity of marriage!) I'm down with the rainbow, mlassoff.

So to answer your question, the school is discriminating, yes. But as a private school they should have the right to discriminate based on their beliefs. Basically, our freedoms give us the right to be many things, including judgmental douchebags, and there isn't much that can or should be done about it.

Fair answer. I disagree, but respect where your coming from-- Your concept of private includes the right to discriminate against anyone and you don't differentiate between the treatment of gays and other minorities. It's when one espouses and anti-discrimination tone for minorities but excludes gays from that that my hypocrite indicator starts screaming.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM

834 posts, read 2,279,181 times
Why should anyone have to differentiate anything? Discriminating is discriminating. If there is a club that doesn't allow people with red hair, that is their right. I don't think discriminating ends or begins with race, religion, color, being gay, etc. I think a private club or school should be allowed to pick whoever they want based on whatever they want without interference, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.

As for this girl, it's not like there is only one school in town and they aren't letting the gay person attend.

It's not like this is a public school.

There are other options for this person. For any person. Don't like the rules of a private club or school? Don't go. Find another one. It's that simple. Really it is.

It's not like this is the 1800s and there is one school in town and they aren't letting black children attend. In 2011 there are many, many options. Public school being one. A million other private schools being the other.

We are never going to see a day where people are treated equally if we are constantly separating them and asking for "special" rules.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mlassoff, but it sounds to me like you are saying, for example, if there is an all white club who doesn't allow black people, then they are wrong because they are discriminating based on color. However, if there is a black club who doesn't allow whites, that's okay because white people are not a minority.
It's only discriminating against minorities or what you perceive as the underdog that is getting under your skin right? Because you would not care if there was a blonde WASP wearing Ralph Lauren stomping their feet because they can't get into the Hispanic club. Or the Roman Catholic who was throwing a tantrum because they couldn't get into the Jewish school. Or if there was a gay/lesbian school who didn't allow a straight person to attend, right?

Yes, private means that you can discriminate against anyone. I'm not saying it's okay. I'm saying that's what it is. So now we are going to have laws and the government tell us that we can have something private as long as it doesn't exclude minorities? We are talking the difference between moral and legal. Is the school right from a moral standpoint? No. Are they within their legal rights? yes.

I think sometimes people get too caught up in the principle. Something isn't affecting them or their life. It's just the idea of it that bothers them. This girl can find another school tomorrow. But people getting worked up over it just don't like the idea of it.

Just like a person's gay lifestyle doesn't really hurt or affect anyone else. Some people just don't like the idea of it. So they fight it.

I think people need to stop worrying about the principles and the ideas of things and pick their battles based on issues that have a real affect on them.
This girl is going to be far better off getting away from this school. Should she have to stay where she isn't wanted just so she can prove a point and take a stand for other gay people? Why? If I was her, I'd be out of there so fast, I'd leave skidmarks.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 09-25-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,393,047 times
I agree that private organizations should have the right to chose who belongs to them; it's a basic freedom of this country. Is it always "nice" or "fair" in everyone's eyes? No. But public organizations should not be able to discriminate; especially against one group but not another.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
I'm still trying to get over the fact that blacks are genetically predisposed to liking chicken. This is a life-changing moment!

What I'm wondering now:
If a black lesbian walked into the Master's school and ordered the meatloaf, would they let her stay?

Old 10-15-2015, 03:20 AM

197 posts, read 86,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Wow, there is so much discussion about what it "means to be homosexual" when the real issue is "what rights do bigots have in our state." I am friends with gay men and women (and a few bisexuals) and I know they were born that way. No ifs, ands, or buts about it; they just were and there shouldn't be any blame against them for being what they are. I find the Master's School to be repugnant and they do not represent the all-encompassing, all-loving views many Christians have, particularly in a state as liberal as Connecticut.

HOWEVER, I am going to side with JViello and say that the state should not get involved with this because the school is not state sponsored. It is private. Every parent of a child in that school has a right to say "I don't want my child attending a school run by a bunch of bigots" and they can each remove their child from the school. It can exist, in private, as a hateful place for hateful people. As much as people want to destroy all groups that are not accepting of others, you cannot. The law can not be used to do that. If laws were put into place that stopped the meeting of hateful minds, the KKK and NAMBLA would cease to exist. Obviously that hasn't happened. The best you can hope for in a situation like this is that school management is changed to accept homosexual children or many parents remove their children from the school in protest. Whether you like what the Master's School did or not (and I do not at ALL) they have the right to limit membership as a private school. Hatred will always persist in a democracy and without changing the system the best you can do is not support bigoted organizations.
I am 4 years behind this topic. Bravo to your post. I totally agree with you.

I support discrimination, and I am a Vietnamese gay man. Double whammy, isn't it?

Private institution should be allowed to discriminate against any group. I hope the law doesn't intervene a non public place policy.

Better an honest enemy than a false friend.

Living in the US for 12 years, I see that most Americans are very accepting (not tolerant, an abused word) and compassionate. I put my trust on them that they will not support any bigotry and hatred if bigots expose themselves. There is no need for boycotting or banning. This is not Africa or Middle East. This is America, where people are generally kind and loving. I believe that bigots will die off eventually when they show themselves totally uncensored.

I am tired of people saying "I disagree with your lifestyle, but I respect your choice." I wish they have guts to say what they truly feel instead of sugar coating their words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut