Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I have to agree with SVT on this one. The line is way behind modern standards. MTA employees are paid ridiculously well for what they do. I'm pretty moderate politically, and lean fiscally conservative - but sometimes I wonder if these quasi-government/private agencies are even worse than the strictly government-run ones.

That said, if the federal government really wants to create a stimulus again - why not make a huge investment in rail in key areas? It would employ a lot of workers and improve local economies by making them more connected and opening up job opportunities for folks who can't afford to sell their house or move. Imagine true non-stop trains from every major station, getting you to Stamford in under 30 minutes and NYC in under 60 from New Haven? Rail improvements that allow for higher speeds (the new trains are capable of 100MPH but the rails aren't)? I guess it's too much to ask for.
Well only the Employees that have worked there for a few decades make the 6 figure salaries. But most employees do not , and the Media never seems to report that. You start out with 25$ an hr which is same rate for the busy Freight companies , and then you move up slowly to 45$ just like the private Rail companies. The New Trains are only Capable of 90mph , which drops to 80mph for Third Rail in NY. The New Haven line has a max of 90mph , which slows Amtrak to a crawl there top speed is 130mph in NJ , PA , MA , RI , MD , and DE....but CT and DC are the slowest at 90mph. The Danbury line is being upgraded to allow bi-direction trains and more trains including Off peak. There with be a an Extension to New Milford and possible Electrification is Ridership spikes to at least 10,000 meaning a one seat ride from New Milford to Grand Central Terminal. Aside from the Danbury line upgrade , there slowly upgrading the whole New Haven line which has taken them 15 years and there almost done with that. Then there are the station add-ons @ East Stamford , East Bridgeport , Black Rock Turnpike , Factory Pond , West Haven & Downtown Norwalk stations which would take alot of pressure off existing stations and allow for depressed areas to boom. CT needs to start focusing on making its cities and surrounding towns more connected either by Bus , Light Rail or Streetcar that could reduce the demand for Newer stations thus speeding up travel times along the lines. Unfortnatly the Northeastern states are behind by at least 360 Billion in Transit / Rail projects not including HSR but popular projects like the Gateway Tunnel , MOM network , North - South Tunnel , Septa line restorations , and I-287 Corridor upgrade. The Feds and local Govt seem to be ignoring the growing demand for Rail in this region and its starting to take its toll. Its not like any of these projects are wasteful , most have the ridership levels required and them some which is usually 5,000 in most states. Although most lines end up getting between 10-20,000 daily riders... Then there's the smart Real estate boom around the stations which brings 1000s of jobs and millions to the local towns. But the Fed Govt chooses to ignore that , then you have the state Govt that chooses to raid and mis-manage the Transportation fund... If this region were to have pushed harder and gotten more funding we would have a lowered the Unemployment rate by a decent amount. I think we did get at least 50 Billion $ for upgrades , but there was only a few fully funded projects. I think later this decade most of the backlogged projects will start getting funding and built , this decade seems to be the improvement decade after years of neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

462 posts, read 737,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well only the Employees that have worked there for a few decades make the 6 figure salaries. But most employees do not , and the Media never seems to report that. You start out with 25$ an hr which is same rate for the busy Freight companies , and then you move up slowly to 45$ just like the private Rail companies. The New Trains are only Capable of 90mph , which drops to 80mph for Third Rail in NY. The New Haven line has a max of 90mph , which slows Amtrak to a crawl there top speed is 130mph in NJ , PA , MA , RI , MD , and DE....but CT and DC are the slowest at 90mph. The Danbury line is being upgraded to allow bi-direction trains and more trains including Off peak. There with be a an Extension to New Milford and possible Electrification is Ridership spikes to at least 10,000 meaning a one seat ride from New Milford to Grand Central Terminal. Aside from the Danbury line upgrade , there slowly upgrading the whole New Haven line which has taken them 15 years and there almost done with that. Then there are the station add-ons @ East Stamford , East Bridgeport , Black Rock Turnpike , Factory Pond , West Haven & Downtown Norwalk stations which would take alot of pressure off existing stations and allow for depressed areas to boom. CT needs to start focusing on making its cities and surrounding towns more connected either by Bus , Light Rail or Streetcar that could reduce the demand for Newer stations thus speeding up travel times along the lines. Unfortnatly the Northeastern states are behind by at least 360 Billion in Transit / Rail projects not including HSR but popular projects like the Gateway Tunnel , MOM network , North - South Tunnel , Septa line restorations , and I-287 Corridor upgrade. The Feds and local Govt seem to be ignoring the growing demand for Rail in this region and its starting to take its toll. Its not like any of these projects are wasteful , most have the ridership levels required and them some which is usually 5,000 in most states. Although most lines end up getting between 10-20,000 daily riders... Then there's the smart Real estate boom around the stations which brings 1000s of jobs and millions to the local towns. But the Fed Govt chooses to ignore that , then you have the state Govt that chooses to raid and mis-manage the Transportation fund... If this region were to have pushed harder and gotten more funding we would have a lowered the Unemployment rate by a decent amount. I think we did get at least 50 Billion $ for upgrades , but there was only a few fully funded projects. I think later this decade most of the backlogged projects will start getting funding and built , this decade seems to be the improvement decade after years of neglect.

$25 is about $10 more than that job should pay in this economy. And this new crop of conductors that started within the last 6 months are god awful.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
$25/hour is too much for someone that clips tickets.

Nowhere on the New Haven line do the trains reach 90MPH.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM

I have no problem with the experienced guys making bigger money. Some of them are excellent. The new ones however, are terrible.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
The new ones however, are terrible.
Why do you say that? I've had nothing but great experiences with these guys.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
$25 is about $10 more than that job should pay in this economy. And this new crop of conductors that started within the last 6 months are god awful.
Well they do more then clip tickets , most of what they isn't seen by the public and is in the restricted areas. But its the same pay you get working for the Freight companies.... There hasn't been a new batch of conductors for at least 2 years. But a few have transferred lines which you can request after a certain number of years on one line.

Quote:
$25/hour is too much for someone that clips tickets.

Nowhere on the New Haven line do the trains reach 90MPH.
Actually in NY there are a few segments that hit 90mph , but whole line is capped at 90mph for Amtrak at least.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Why do you say that? I've had nothing but great experiences with these guys.
Very poor communication. I've been on a number of broken down trains in the past 6 months, and not ONCE were we ever given an iota of information. I've had a few confrontations with them about it, and they just shrug and give the aww shucks face. They're useless. The new ones are also slobs. If their uniforms even fit, they're rarely clean and/or pressed. It's just a very sad state of affairs, they are beginning to resemble the equipment more and more each day.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:

Actually in NY there are a few segments that hit 90mph , but whole line is capped at 90mph for Amtrak at least.
Amtrak in CT is more like 60-70 on average.

You'll never see the train in CT outrun a traffic-less 95 when they're side by side. That's easily observed from train or car.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Amtrak in CT is more like 60-70 on average.

You'll never see the train in CT outrun a traffic-less 95 when they're side by side. That's easily observed from train or car.
Its capped or Top speed is 90mph , well maybe in CT but in NY you do see that....

Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
You start out with 25$ an hr which is same rate for the busy Freight companies , and then you move up slowly to 45$ just like the private Rail companies.
$52,000 a year to clip tickets sounds good to me. Where can I apply for these jobs? And yes I'm serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut